Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

STi Struts on a 03 wrx. question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 09:18 PM

Car Info: bugeye / ej207
Question STi Struts on a 03 wrx. question?

Hello all,

I have the UDSM STi struts assembly. What do I need in order to install this in my car? And what would you guys recommend for springs? Got any pictures on a 02-03 setup? i was thinking of selling them and buying a used coilover setup but i dont really do any events.

BTW. This car is primarily for daily driving and the occasional autox.

Thanks

-jayson
Old 04-28-2005, 08:48 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX
If you have the whole assembly (strut, spring and tophat), you need nothing. Install and go so to speak. Otherwise you will need some 04 tophats to match the struts. If you buy any springs, get the 04+ ones as they are the ones that will fit.

I won't suggest any springs cause I don't have any experience with them. I left the springs that were on my v8 STi setup and they work well(I have 2002 WRX). If I ever get new ones they'll either be the JDM Pinks, Prodrive STi or Espelir GT springs. Each spring has its own positive and negative aspects.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:21 PM

Hey symby, I'm gettting the same setup as you tomorow I was wondering how improved it is over stock? As for the question, if it is the struts only, I think they can bolt in with an 03 spring and tophat. The tophat needs to be changed when the springs are changed to 04+.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:54 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX
Cornering is improved significantly over stock. Keep in mind that I had Helix Front and Rear swaybars on the car already so cornering was already improved over stock a good amount.

At first I was bothered by the ride quality of the STi struts.. but now I don't really notice it.. some times when you have to pee really bad and people are going slow its kinda torturous.. Its a bit bouncy(mostly in the rear it seems to me), but nothing you won't get used to unless you are really sensitive to that kind of thing. Just hit the gas and you don't notice it any more..

I'll be upgrading the springs on these, probably next year as I don't feel like paying for "another" alignment this year.. Plus I have no money right now.. I probably don't need them as I'm rarely pushing these as it is.. ah well.. such is life, who really needs more than 227hp, I do I do..
Old 05-06-2005, 10:08 AM

Hey, thanx for the review. I have stock suspension except for a rear strut tower bar. The bar actually helped a little bit. I was going to do sways, but I got a deal on the suspension. I don't think I'll mind the bouncyness at all. I was looking for a compromise between handleing and something I could take trips on. Sounds like I found it.