Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Stance coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX STI
Stance coilovers

Hey guys! im new to the coilover game and have read too many reviews to decide which would be the right fit. Reason why im getting a set is because i want a lower but stiffer ride that handles well. Any feedback about these would be appreciated!

Super Sport
Old 11-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
What is your budget, do you do any winter driving, and what type of racing do you do?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
What is your budget, do you do any winter driving, and what type of racing do you do?
Budget: 1500-1750
Winter Driving: yes
Racing: not really

Gonna be mainly used for DD purposes!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by MAC_DREW
Budget: 1500-1750
Winter Driving: yes
Racing: not really

Gonna be mainly used for DD purposes!
Shocks: tokico dspecs or konis,
Strut Mounts: group-n mounts
Springs: rce yellow or black springs
Old 11-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
If your budget is in the $1750 range, should look into the KW Variant 3's. It's a bit more, but might be worth your while.

From my experience, the Stance coilovers are a great set-up, however, it is my opinion that they are geared toward the racer that is on a budget. I own a set. The set-up in my opinion is very aggressive for the street. Very responsive set-up, lots of turning response, feel in steering wheel. However... ride quality isn't all that great. It's something that your wife, gf, mom, dad, etc. are going to complain about.

Can you get good ride quality out of it... sure... if you get the right settings/configuration/set-up. If you were set on a coilover set-up, I'd look into a KW Variant 3 set-up. Excellent shock, good components, excellent warranty.

Otherwise, I don't see why you couldn't go with a good shock/spring combo. That would suffice your needs but not burn a hole in your wallet or make your wife/gf leave you.

Before you decide on the coilover set-up, you should ask yourself if you need the extra bit of adjustability/performance a coilover set-up offers you. Personally, the only thing that I could think of that I would need a coilover set-up is the extra performance when racing, otherwise, I wouldn't have splurged on the extra.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:23 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
+1 for a good shock/spring combination.

Another thing to consider is longevity and cost associated with running a coilover. They might need to be rebuilt/revalved earlier than a needing to replace a regular shock. Of course, this is an added expense and downtime you will need to deal with.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by flat489
Shocks: tokico dspecs or konis,
Strut Mounts: group-n mounts
Springs: rce yellow or black springs
This is my vote.

More reliable than coilovers and can be used in winter weather (unlike coilovers).

Your budget can accommodate some good stuff, but it's wasted money if you're not competitively racing on a regular basis. The quoted setup will handle far more than you can toss at them on public roads.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 PM

Car Info: 2006 subaru wrx tr
a lot of the guys in Alaska run coil overs year round I have bc br coil overs on my wrx four years now no problems it occasionally gets down to -25 here and lots of snow
Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by darkonion
If your budget is in the $1750 range, should look into the KW Variant 3's. It's a bit more, but might be worth your while.

From my experience, the Stance coilovers are a great set-up, however, it is my opinion that they are geared toward the racer that is on a budget. I own a set. The set-up in my opinion is very aggressive for the street. Very responsive set-up, lots of turning response, feel in steering wheel. However... ride quality isn't all that great. It's something that your wife, gf, mom, dad, etc. are going to complain about.

Can you get good ride quality out of it... sure... if you get the right settings/configuration/set-up. If you were set on a coilover set-up, I'd look into a KW Variant 3 set-up. Excellent shock, good components, excellent warranty.

Otherwise, I don't see why you couldn't go with a good shock/spring combo. That would suffice your needs but not burn a hole in your wallet or make your wife/gf leave you.

Before you decide on the coilover set-up, you should ask yourself if you need the extra bit of adjustability/performance a coilover set-up offers you. Personally, the only thing that I could think of that I would need a coilover set-up is the extra performance when racing, otherwise, I wouldn't have splurged on the extra.

Just my two cents.
Thanks for the Advice, i looked into the KW Variant 3's. I was told that i would also need aftermarket control arms due to the fact the stock arms can't keep up with the demands of the coilovers. What set of arms would you suggest?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the Advice, i looked into the KW Variant 3's. I was told that i would also need aftermarket control arms due to the fact the stock arms can't keep up with the demands of the coilovers. What set of arms would you suggest?
who told you that? i havent heard of this before
Old 11-20-2012, 11:25 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by nalchn
a lot of the guys in Alaska run coil overs year round I have bc br coil overs on my wrx four years now no problems it occasionally gets down to -25 here and lots of snow
Huh I lived in Anchorage for a year (just moved back) and I don't remember seeing that many WRX/STis during the winter months...but there seemed to be a lot more after the snow melted and weather got nicer May be I was never in the right area?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 PM

who told you that? i havent heard of this before
Stupid me, i was listening to a guy that drives a nissan. Go figure. Im still new to the aftermarket parts and to cars in general as you can tell. Did some research as long as a set of coils have front and rear camber plates i should be fine......right?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:31 PM

By the way, thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions. i really appreciate it. save me a whole lot of time and money!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:50 PM

Stupid me, i was listening to a guy that drives a nissan. Go figure. Im still new to the aftermarket parts and to cars in general as you can tell. Did some research as long as a set of coils have front and rear camber plates i should be fine......right?
Depending on your goals yes. If you need the camber adjustability then yea run both front and rear. If you go with spring and struts i would just run the group N mounts all around. I did that with my bugeye and still had -1.7 F and -1.5 rear camber
Old 11-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Depending on your goals yes. If you need the camber adjustability then yea run both front and rear. If you go with spring and struts i would just run the group N mounts all around. I did that with my bugeye and still had -1.7 F and -1.5 rear camber
Are you running stance coils too?

Quick Reply: Stance coilovers