Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Resurfacing Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 05:42 PM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
Turning rotors is basically a big scam. It makes them thinner, without really SOLVING the issues that it is supposed to fix!

You're better off putting a non-directional surface on them, then bedding in the new pads properly. To do this, take a round sanding disk in a drill and basically "scuff up" the rotor surface. Don't need to take much material off, just break the grooved pattern in the surface. Clean them WELL afterwards (figure on a couple cans of brake cleaner, minimum, for 4 rotors) and reinstall.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:49 AM

Car Info: Blue sedan WRX
dont bother turning rotors

if you rotors are in GOOD shape at the time of changing the pads, dont bother machining them. you want a clean suface for the new pads. so lightly sand the rotor surface with 250 grit, slap on the pads and drive. well actually, bed them in first. i used to turn my rotors, and had a lot of warping problems (too thin).
i have done this on Jeeps, BMW, VWs, and subarus without any problems.
i think a better rule of thumb is to only use 2 sets of pads over the lifetime of the rotor. when you change your pads, even if you have a big gouge in the disc from the previous pad's metal backing plate, the pad will just contact the high spots for a day or two, them it will fit fine ( fully contact the disc). ever heard of slotted rotors? same difference. just my 2 cents and personal experience.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:47 AM

Car Info: Still Looking
I always get my rotors cut when I get new brake pads. I've never done any other way. I was just tought to cut the rotors each time I get new pads that way it would apply even contact to the pad when it touchs the roter and allow it wear evenlly. I've never had a problem doing it that way. I have had more problems with getting warped rotors when I buy new ones from kragen or autozone. But im not an expert.