Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Outback Sport Lowering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 06:29 AM

Car Info: 1998 Impreza/Outback Sport
Outback Sport Lowering Problem

I just lowered my wagon over the weekend and everything went on smoothly. The only problem is that on the rear driver or passenger side, can't tell really becuase I'm in the drivers seat. I only hear the sound whenever i go over a big bump or pothole by accident. The sound sounds like the rotor could of gotten bent a tad while taking off the clip for the brake line. I'm not sure about it though. If anyone's lowered a wagon and knows about this please let me know.

Wagons = JDM TOUGHNESS
Old 04-20-2004, 08:58 AM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
What springs did you use? I just lowered my OBS over the weekend (did new struts and ss lines while I was at it). Depending on how far you lowered it and what type/size tires you are running, your problem could be rubbing (again
st the fender or strut)Can you answer these questions to help diagnosis? How much did the springs lower your car? What kind of springs are they (progressive or linear)? Size/brand of tires? And have you gotten an alignment since you lowered it? The rear camber on mine was -1.5 degrees, which was well within the specified range.

And were you sure to mark the hats, etc. ahead of time so everything was aligned and re-assembled correctly? On the rear there are those metal things with a bunch of holes in them. The biggest hole must be pointing in the same direction as when you took it off. Did you re-use the bumpstops? If you don't have any bumpstops installed, this is most likely the source of the noise.

Last edited by scoobsport98; 04-20-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:06 AM

Hey thanks alot. I think it's the splash plate becuase I think one of the kids that was helping me out bent it. If anyone else has any ideas let me know.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:54 AM

It turns out that its not the splash guard. Does anyone know if the strut mounts could possibly make that sound.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:07 AM

Is the sound like an occasional little creak as the suspension unloads?

Mine does it too, but I'm not sure if it got that while swapping the rear brakes or the struts. If I figure out what it is I'll post it, but it seems to happening less often now. Maybe it will go away by itself (there's wishful thinking).
Old 09-11-2004, 05:27 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Originally Posted by Wagons_Own
It turns out that its not the splash guard. Does anyone know if the strut mounts could possibly make that sound.

Have you checked the bolts on the top of the front struts (under the rubber caps)? One of mine came loose after I swapped my struts.

Just a thought.