Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Noltec Steering Rack Mount Bushings!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally posted by mehlt
bump...

So Dan how do they feel? Have you noticed much difference?
Steering is firm and feels great, I can "feel" the road more. My steering wheel is no longer off center about 11 degrees to the left.

This was the best $27 I've spent!
Old 02-04-2004, 09:04 AM

Im very interested in doing this mod but don't think i am experienced enough to screw around with the steering rack. How many hours of labour would this cost me to take it to a mechanic??????
Old 02-04-2004, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 01' BRP RS
im going to order some of these today i think, but i have one question. where the hell is the steering rack.

im pretty mechanically inclided, but i have no idea where it is!

thanks
~SGD
Old 02-04-2004, 12:14 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
the steering rack is a ~3" diameter round tube that sits right by the front sway bar. you have to pull the black plastic splash guard to get to it, but once you've done that its pretty easy to find. just look for the tube that has rods sticking out of it that attach to the front hubs.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:51 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
That pretty much explains where it is. There are two brackets that hold it up. The bushings are under the brackets the driver's side will take some creative thinking to get it out. I had to manuver the bracket out first then we had to ease the bushing in to get in correct.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:13 PM

You are probably looking at 1-2 hours of labor. I think we did it in under 2 hours, but there was a lot of tag teaming going on with breaks to ponder how to remove and install the driver side bushing. Two sets of hands helped a lot too.

Here is a site with pictures of the install:

http://mikeegan.stormpages.com/steer.html
Old 02-05-2004, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
I just got mine yesterday and am installing them on Saturday along with some Kartboy shifter bushings. wrXratd is going to show me how to do it and said that it should only take about 1/2hr. to 1 hr.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I also got mine form Oakos. For some reason I just didn't want to get the Whiteline...maybe since I don't have any other Whiteline stuff

Was there any noticeable difference after the install? Any updates on feel after driving for a bit more?
Old 02-05-2004, 11:46 AM

i've had mine installed for probably close to a year now, and kinda forget about them at times. when i first got the installed, i definitely noticed an improvement in the ammount of feedback that i got from the wheel. the steering feel was firmer and much more positive than with he stock butter-rubber bushings. they're one of those small things that makes a differance you notice right away, and then immediately get used to. they'll also age better, and stand up to hard driving much better than the stock pieces.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by dropkick_muppet
i've had mine installed for probably close to a year now, and kinda forget about them at times. when i first got the installed, i definitely noticed an improvement in the ammount of feedback that i got from the wheel. the steering feel was firmer and much more positive than with he stock butter-rubber bushings. they're one of those small things that makes a differance you notice right away, and then immediately get used to. they'll also age better, and stand up to hard driving much better than the stock pieces.
do you feel this is something that needs replacing every year or so depending on driving style? (track, auto-x, street)
Old 02-05-2004, 12:24 PM

no, i don't think that the bushings are something that would need replacing that regularly -- at least not the Noltecs.

when i removed my stock bushings, they were partially melted, and tore instead of coming off/out in one piece. they were probably less than a year old, and were already degrading. the aging comment was based mainly on the exceedingly poor quality of the stock bushes, rather than an indication that the bushings are a high wear part.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally posted by dropkick_muppet
when i removed my stock bushings, they were partially melted, and tore instead of coming off/out in one piece. they were probably less than a year old, and were already degrading. the aging comment was based mainly on the exceedingly poor quality of the stock bushes, rather than an indication that the bushings are a high wear part.
My stock bushings looked like crap also.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by lowball

I also got mine form Oakos. For some reason I just didn't want to get the Whiteline...maybe since I don't have any other Whiteline stuff
Other then the color I don't think there is any difference between the whiteline and Noltec bushings. We all bought the Noltec's because Oakos had free shipping to Hawaii.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:37 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by mehlt
Other then the color I don't think there is any difference between the whiteline and Noltec bushings. We all bought the Noltec's because Oakos had free shipping to Hawaii.
OT: My daughter lives in Hawaii too.

On the Noltec's & Oakos...the free shipping to Sac was a plus as well. Think it only took about 2 days normal snal-mail. The yellow of the whiteline is not for me...even though it's under the car I just thought that the 'pink' stuff I have was already girly enough
Old 02-06-2004, 09:59 AM

Car Info: 01' BRP RS
the yellow owns!

even tho it's under that car im still a bit of a match *****. lol

~SGD
Old 02-06-2004, 06:29 PM

Car Info: subaru wrx wagon
Bought bushings from Oakos, had Pacific Automotive on Queen st. install them. $80.00 to install. Feels firmer with more road feel even with worn out Re92s. Actually seems to be quieter and less harse over bumps. Well worth the approx. $110 cost for the bushings and installation. odziila.

Quick Reply: Noltec Steering Rack Mount Bushings!