i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Handling, and Brakes (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-195/)
-   -   need help with Sway bars and equipment. (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-195/need-help-sway-bars-equipment-9490/)

jasno999 02-16-2003 02:44 PM

need help with Sway bars and equipment.

Ok I need to know what equipment will work with what sway bar. Say I want to get a whiteline rear adj. bar or a MRT adj bar. What kind of end links do I need to get and what size and type of heavy duty mounts do I need?

I see there are different sizes like the whitline bar is a 22mm bar that is adj from 20mm to 24mm. So do I get a heavy duty mount that fits a 24mm bar of a 22mm bar???

And doe the end links fit any size bar or are they determined by size too????

Help me. Please

gumpajim 02-16-2003 08:03 PM

Here is what I used on my 02 wrx sedan. The only other mods I have are 225-45-17 Azenis and Rota Subzero wheels. I like what I've done so far and will be doing the Whiteline ALK soon.

1. The Whiteline 20-22-24 rear sway bar has a diameter of 22mm. I am curently on the 22mm setting.

2. I have the Whiteline KBR20-22 HD mount. This mount fits 22mm dia. bars.

3. I also used the Whiteline KLC19 rear links. There are also links available from Kartboy, more expensive but they look good.

I bought my parts from WRXtuner.com They were the best deal at the time.

Sorry I don't have the MRT part #s. BTW I used plumbers teflon tape on the install. Three layers on the bar, and two layers around the outside of the bushing after it was put on the bar. Six months so far, no squeaks.
As for the ALK, I couldn't really use teflon tape so I installed grease fittings. I'll get the energy to install them someday.

jasno999 02-17-2003 12:05 PM

Do you rememebr the overall price for everything?

jjunior887 02-17-2003 02:19 PM

allsubaru.com has the rear bar 4 $119 plus shipping, seems like the best price i could find. As for the endlinks, I think a few people have broken the whiteline ones during autoX so you might want to spring the extra few bucks for the Kartboy ones(usually $100 shipped from most places)If you look at the 2 pieces you will see why the KB's cost more. As for the mounts they have them at allsubaru for $65. You could also get the perrin adjustable bar and mounts for around $185 or so from nino in the vendors forum. -James

gumpajim 02-19-2003 11:05 PM

It's best to check around at the time you buy since prices change once in a while.

Jim

Kevin M 02-19-2003 11:47 PM

All the aftermarket bars should work with stock hardware, and the aftermarket hardware should work with stock bars... so pretty much mix and match as you see fit.

jasno999 02-21-2003 12:11 PM

sweet. So you guys think a 22mm bar makes a big difference on the back?

Kevin M 02-21-2003 03:52 PM

Yes, you should notice your car being more willing to rotate through a turn. It's not as big a difference as in an old style RS though, since those came with puny little weak sway bars. Yours isn't nearly so wimpy.

gumpajim 02-22-2003 08:28 PM

Yes, you can mix and match as long as you realize that you will need bushings to fit your new 22mm bar. The stock 20mm bush is obviously too small. My WL bar came with new bushings to fit the bar, I think most bars will come with bushings but it wouldn't hurt to double check before you buy. This applies only if you are not changing to the HD mounts because the HD mounts come with their own bushings.

Part of the reason I went with WL is because I knew their bar would work with their mounts. The old mounts look pretty flimsy and I didn't want to put too much stress on them with the bigger bar.

Will you notice a difference? I replaced the mounts, bar, and links all at the same time. There was a big difference. Much better.

Jim