Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Need Help!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX TR
Need Help!

So about a month or 2 ago I got into my car (06 WRX) and turned it on and heard a loud screeching sound. It was early in the morning and cold as hell (well hell's not cold but you get what I mean hahahaha ). I noticed that when I turned the steering wheel either early in the morning or when I haven't driven the car in a while it starts to make that screeching noise. It's only for a few moments and then it goes away. I've been told it could be my bushings but I don't think thats it cause it's a constant screech. I'm guessing that it might be my steering belt but the crazy thing is I replaced it recently back in maybe August or October before it really started getting cold but not only that I've had my car for 5 years and never experienced anything like this. I've talked to people at the meets and they've said not to worry about cause it's probably just the cold and that there's probably just moisture on the belts and thats what causing the noise but I'm starting to get concerned. Can anybody help me out? Any ideas what could cause the screeching noise when I turn or begin to turn the steering wheel? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:10 AM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
I have the same problem. VERY loud screeching when wheel is full right or left on cold start. I don't recall it doing it when my car gets warmed up.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:36 AM

Yeah exactly. It gets annoying specially when i wake up early in the morning and turn on my car cause i live on a hill so my steering wheel is turned. But i find it weird cause I've had the car for so long and it's never happened before. I've gone to Tahoe on multiple occaisions and nothing ever happened till now. So I'm just dumbfounded right now to what could possibly be causing the noise.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:41 AM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
Have you loosened up the power steering belt enough to check if theres any play on the pulley? My bet is that the bearing inside the power steering pully is causing **** to make noise if it's not the tension/surface of the belt.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:52 AM

No I haven't but I definately will check that out. I hope its that easy of a solution. Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 AM

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-inst...sassembly.html

Here you go for some pointers.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 AM

You'll only have to loosen the belt enough to check the pulley freeplay.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Car Info: 2016 STI
You can still end up with the squeeling noise from over tighting the belt. When working with the accessory belts they are tricky, they need to be tight, but not to tight. You may try loosening the belt just a little and see if that does the trick. Another thing to check is make sure you have fluid in the resivoir for the power steering. What ever you do, DO NOT USE POWER STEERING FLUID in the power steering systems for our car. Use ATF. If power steering fluid has been added to your system then thats your problem. your pump is on its way out.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_M
You can still end up with the squeeling noise from over tighting the belt. When working with the accessory belts they are tricky, they need to be tight, but not to tight. You may try loosening the belt just a little and see if that does the trick. Another thing to check is make sure you have fluid in the resivoir for the power steering. What ever you do, DO NOT USE POWER STEERING FLUID in the power steering systems for our car. Use ATF. If power steering fluid has been added to your system then thats your problem. your pump is on its way out.

Yeah I've checked the resevoir and it's fine. that was one of the first things i looked at. I have yet to check the belt but I'm probably gonna look at it later today when I get off of work or tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the help everybody.