Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Loose Strut Mount Cover leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:06 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
Loose Strut Mount Cover leaking?

Hi folks...I have a leaky trunk issue and trying to figure it out. I already had the rear window re-sealed, still have water near the back of the seats. In digging around, I noticed that the strut mount covers have loose screws and on the right, I'm missing a screw altogether. There is foam stuff portruding. I'm wondering if this can be the source of the moisture/water in the trunk. Any ideas? pic included. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Loose Strut Mount Cover leaking?-imag0199.jpg  
Old 12-27-2010, 05:00 PM

Car Info: 2016 STI
That's not a strut mount cover. That is the access panel to get to your fuel pump, tank level sensor.

If the screws are loose, tighten them up a little. Are you driving through puddles of water? I find it hard for water to be coming in from there. are you sure its water?

You may also look at your trunk weather seal.

Last edited by Chris_M; 12-27-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks again Chris. yes, I realize this is not what I thought it was. I have doing some reading on this site and found that people who have a gas smell find that this panel isnt sealed well. I certainly do have the fuel smell, but I figured it was because Im running rich due to the absence of the restrictor pill (ordered, should be here any day). Maybe its both. There is no seal, just foam poking through. Shouldnt there be a rubber seal there? I'm still looking into this moisture/condensation problem. My buddy has an '02 and his rear seats got totally moldy after our recent rains. Wierd. I have leather seats so that helps a bit. I also took out my floor mats so the carpet could dry better. Sooo, thats the fuel filter on the right...whats the one on the left, the tankl level sensor? Can I take off the panels and re-seal with something other than the crappy old foam thats there?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM

Stock wise there is no rubber. The foam is the stock standard thing on both the plates. if you want you could get some kind of rubber seal for them. I dont think thats where your water is coming in though. if you take off those panels all you will see it the top of the fuel tank. for water to get up there you would have to be driving through puddles and a ton of water.

The oval one on the right is the access panel to your fuel pump, fuel level, fuel filter assembly. The circle one on the left is another fuel level sensor. If you look under the car the fuel tank has a hump in it for the drive shaft to fit though. The secondary level sensor (circle on leftside) also sends the fuel to the other side so the pump can pick it up.

As for the water coming in I would look at all the weather seals around your windows and also look at the weather seal around the trunk.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 PM

awesome...thanks !! I had the rear window re-sealed and it seems to be better. There is still condensation on the bottom of the rear window in the morning...not sure. So...missing a screw on the plate will give me a fuel smell? whatcha think? I read about it here... http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...l-problem.html
Old 12-27-2010, 07:23 PM

the panel hes talking about in that thread is another panel below the one your showing in your picture. That's why I've been calling it an access panel to your fuel pump. Not the fuel pump itself. if you take off the panel that you have in your pic all you will see is another panel with nuts and bolts on it and some fuel lines. That panel has a ruber seal on it as that is to the fuel tank. the one with the foam on it once again is just an access panel to get to the fuel pump panel.

Hope that makes it clear. if not just take off the panel and see your self. It will make more sence once you see one.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:37 PM

Ok, i get it now. So basically...this panel missing a screw is no big deal. Maybe I should look under anyway. Thanks again Chris for your time and attention.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:44 PM

correct. Not a huge huge deal. I'd still try and find a screw to put in there. Plus I also read that thread about when you took your car into that guy. if your smelling fuel and some is leaking out when you top off your tank, not the little bit that spills out the top ( couple of drops when i fill). but spilling on the ground when you top off your tank. then I would open that access panel and make sure he didn't take any nuts off the fuel pump panel on the fuel tank.

Not a problem. Your welcome.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 PM

No, I havent seen fuel on the ground, and plus...it smells like its comming form the front. Maybe from running rich? because also, the mileage is not that great. I'll know more in the next day or two when I get the restrictor pill into the vac line.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:48 PM

Just missing the restrictor pill should not cause a fuel smell. If you say the fuel smell is coming from the front of the car. Check in you engine bay for fuel dripping any where. The fuel lines should be on the drivers side of the engine bay back by the strut tower on the drivers side. look for any fuel there. you should also look by your injectors. See if any fuel is leaking by them.

The pill is just to control the boost. with out the pill you should probably be hitting low boost levels. say maybe 8lbs. if your missing the pill that goes between the turbo and wategate.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:02 PM

Well I just found another post where you swapped turbos. you put the td04 back on. When you swapped back to the stock turbo did you have it retuned? if you did not and the turbo before was a good sided turbo, that is way you are smelling fuel as, yes you are running to rich. A good check to see if your running to rich is to pull a spark plug, once the car has cooled down, and take a look at the plug and smell it. If it smells of fuel or has a dark color on the electrode then you are running to rich and you need a tune to fix that. also have you fixed the hose that was open on the turbo inlet? if you have not plugged that, that would be your other problem.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:43 AM

Well...the thing is, The "shop" that did my work totally stole my ecu. I had to buy one on the fly from a pick & pull. I have clamped down that hose that was in the pic. Now im not sure if im smelling fuel. I put in the restrictor pill and the smell seems to be gone....but still low boost. I suppose when i can afford it, i'll bring it to GST to get tuned and really checked over well....gonna be a few hundred $$$.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:58 AM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
did you check to see if there is recall for your car? i remember there is a recall for a new fuel rail and hoses for the 02-03 wrx. not sure if yours applies though but worth a shot to check. wont fix the leak issue with water but may solve your problem with the fuel smell in the front
Old 12-29-2010, 04:43 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Yes, there is a recall on 02 subaru wrx's where they replace a piece of fuel line. A dealership should do that recall service for FREE. They might try to charge you like $150 for replacement hoses that can get damaged during the recall service (because taking off old plastis/rubber hoses can cause them to break) but if you call Subaru Of America they should get it all straightened out for free.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:48 AM

I called the dealer & they they wouldnt change my fuel line because of the mods on the car...oh well.

Quick Reply: Loose Strut Mount Cover leaking?