Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Inverted vs Non-Inverted Strut Coilover Design

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:49 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Inverted vs Non-Inverted Strut Coilover Design

What's the difference between the two? What are the pros and cons? If these questions have been asked before where can I go to find the answer?

It currently came to my attention that my passenger side front suspension is leaking (Tein Flex) oil since it's caked up on the bottom of the strut.

I'm do NOT plan on having these rebuilt right now since I cannot afford the down time of the vehicle.

I am in the market for another set of coilovers and wanted to know which ones to consider?

It'll be for a 2002 WRX.

Ride comfort is not really a factor since I would just stay with the factory struts if that were the case. I like to be able to 'feel' the road when I drive

I will be using the car for track events (if we ever get a track back) and for Auto-X...etc.

Pricing is kind of a factor at the moment but if I do have to spend the money on a good set that'll last me a while then I won't mind spending the money.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 08-21-2006, 11:58 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx wagon
how do you stay with the factory struts w/ coilovers?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:59 PM

you don't. if you're talking about coilover sleeves then this is NOT the thread for you.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:31 AM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
I have heard that for the money, the megan racing coilovers are pretty nice .
Old 08-22-2006, 08:14 PM

Car Info: '07 STI
Stance is inverted, stiff, great response, upper camber plates front and rear, and they're in stock at Mach III
Old 08-23-2006, 10:01 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by iNfEk
Ride comfort is not really a factor since I would just stay with the factory struts if that were the case. I like to be able to 'feel' the road when I drive
Jon
my bad, I mis-read this line, I was tired at the time.... carry on.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Inverted wins because you can adjust them from the top of the strut, which means no crawling under the car. You want inverted monotube, period. Whiteline G4s are nice.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:47 PM

I dunno if I'm wrong or your wrong on the adjustment on the top of the strut but I thought that inverted struts had the adjustment on the bottom of the strut. I dunno if that's different from inverted mono-tube but yes I do want the adjustment to be on the top of the strut and if possible able to have a mono-tube design. I have Teins already and they are twin-tube and that's probably why I have to have them either serviced already or replaced. Oil is leaking from the bottom of the passenger side front strut
Old 08-23-2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by meilers
Inverted wins because you can adjust them from the top of the strut, which means no crawling under the car. You want inverted monotube, period. Whiteline G4s are nice.
Um, Inverted struts are usually adjusted from the bottom. Monotube just offers better performance and durability over the twin-tube style. Whiteline G4s are pretty nice, but I have read and heard from certain people that they're not stiff enough for some. Also, they're quite pricy compared to some of the other coilovers that are out on the market right now.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:46 PM

Thanks... that's exactly what I thought. Just wanted confirmation.

I'm looking at the Stance Coilovers right now
Old 08-24-2006, 12:03 AM

Honestly, I understand that people may think i'm just promoting the Stance coilovers simply because i sell them. In all honesty, that's not the case. Mach III is an authorized dealer for many coilover companies like Tein, Cusco, Tanbe, Greddy, HKS, Aragosta, and a couple of other companies that I cant think of at this moment. Stance is just a company that actually provides the most "Bang for the Buck" deal.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by dunnojack
Honestly, I understand that people may think i'm just promoting the Stance coilovers simply because i sell them. In all honesty, that's not the case. Mach III is an authorized dealer for many coilover companies like Tein, Cusco, Tanbe, Greddy, HKS, Aragosta, and a couple of other companies that I cant think of at this moment. Stance is just a company that actually provides the most "Bang for the Buck" deal.
I'm looking at them because they have a good design. people say good things about them. inexpensive for what is being offered. looks well designed.

on that note since you sell them: do you know the rebound rate of these?

Jon
Old 08-24-2006, 12:09 AM

actually, no i dont. I can give them a call and find out for you and let you know.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:26 AM

that would be great!

Thanks

Jon

- also so this is clear. Since it's an inverted Mono-Tube designed strut, is the adjustment **** on the top or the bottom. From the pictures it appears to be on the bottom

Last edited by iNfEk; 08-24-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by dunnojack
Um, Inverted struts are usually adjusted from the bottom. Monotube just offers better performance and durability over the twin-tube style. Whiteline G4s are pretty nice, but I have read and heard from certain people that they're not stiff enough for some. Also, they're quite pricy compared to some of the other coilovers that are out on the market right now.
"Usually" is not the same as "always." Models from Whiteline, Zeal and Zero2 are available top-adjusted and also inverted. It is absolutely possible to have both inverted and top-adjusted coilovers.

I don't see the Whiteline G4s as particularly expensive. Certainly they are competitive with other monotube inverted designs within about $300. Anyone who puts $800 (for four) coilovers on their car can't expect much out of them.

Quick Reply: Inverted vs Non-Inverted Strut Coilover Design