Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

how do u install camber bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 09:59 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
how do u install camber bolts?

hey guys i just got a set of camber bolts off ebay for my front and rear but no instructions came wwith them, can somone please teach me how to install them.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:46 PM

no 1 knows?
Old 05-30-2005, 09:59 PM

Car Info: '99 2.5rs - Rally Blue
take the old ones out and put the new ones in. umm is there a specific problem you are having?
________
Rhode island medical marijuana

Last edited by svek; 02-20-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon x2
Basically what svek said, but I'll elaborate a bit more. You'll need to jack up the car and remove the wheels, obviously. You'll see two large (19mm) bolts that attach the bottom of the strut to the knuckle, and I believe the camber bolts are the ones on top. Be sure to take note of the position of the eccentric part of the bolt so that you can get the new bolt in a similar position to retain somewhat normal camber settings. Once you get the bolt in place, tighten the nut while holding the bolt in position, then replace the wheels and take the car in for an alignment ASAP.

For the record, I'd be weary of buying camber bolts off of eBay. Before you get too far along on the installation, I'd just remove one of the bolts from your car and compare the stock one to the aftermarket one just to make sure they're similar. I would also worry that they might not be made of as strong a material as the OEM bolts. I have heard of aftermarket camber bolts breaking/stripping/moving.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:35 PM

Car Info: 34k and 5 sets of tires
Not to sound like a ****, but why would you even need camber bolts if you don't know how to put them in??
Old 06-08-2005, 02:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
you had to bump this from the grave just to be a dick?

wtf?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:30 PM

you have camber bolts in the front already. they are the top bolts on your front struts. as for the rear, i would remove the top set on the rear struts and install them. since you don't have a bench mark to compare to for the rear, install them and get an alignment done right away.

here's a dumb question for you. why do you need rear camber bolts? i've replaced my rear springs and struts and they still come up ok for alignment purposes.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:05 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX Sedan
some ppl get the notion to purchase them since the rear struts aren't adjustable stock. maybe his drop with alter his alignment...u never know. its a little better to be safe than sorry. i bought some camber bolts that im going to install with my tein s-techs in a few days....i know i will have to adjust the camber on the rears because the drop is pretty severe.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
Originally Posted by taerron
\here's a dumb question for you. why do you need rear camber bolts? i've replaced my rear springs and struts and they still come up ok for alignment purposes.
Maybe you're set-up is not too aggressive. When I went in for alignment, I needed camber bolts for my own personal settings. Everyone has different settings. I'm guessing you're using the stock-very-not-aggressive settings.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:00 PM

i'm running those same springs with some tokico shocks and don't need them. just .02 thats all
Old 06-09-2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by WindingRoad
Everyone has different settings. I'm guessing you're using the stock-very-not-aggressive settings.

Do you know what you're talking about?

When you lower the car, you gain neg camber if you dont touch the alignment bolts.

More neg camber is more 'agressive'

Think about that.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
For some reason, I guess this is my case only, the alignment guy who also does hiero's alignment, says that my bushings might be deformed and I need camberbolts. I think it's just my case.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:41 AM

thanks for all the input guys, so my front already has camber bolts? adjustatable? well the reason i bought the camber bolts was i didn't want uneven wear on my tire's. I only did a Htech drop nothing too aggresive, so if i take my car to get alignment can they do the front already? since its already got camber bolts? as for the back what about camber plates? they're reasonble inexpensive will they fix cambers? like the Cusco one?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:10 PM

You have camber bolts, and your car 'should' be able to allign just fine with a little drop. A little extra negative camber in front will just make the front end stick a little better though, no problems there!

You don't want camber plates. Trust me.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by scottzg
Do you know what you're talking about?

When you lower the car, you gain neg camber if you dont touch the alignment bolts.

More neg camber is more 'agressive'

Think about that.

I don’t consider a car that has more negative camber in the rear than the front to be a car with an aggressive alignment. The WRX comes stock with more negative camber in the rear for safety. More negative camber in the rear than the front cause’s understeer which is considered to be more conservative than a car that is set up for oversteer. Most people that have what is considered to be an aggressive alignment go for max camber in front and around .5 degrees less in the rear. Depending on how much rotation you want you can loose even more in the rear. If you want an aggressive setup you need to add something that allows camber adjustment and a bolt kit is the cheapest way to get that adjustability.

I read WindingRoad’s post and I didn’t see anything that made me think he didn’t know what he was talking about.

Think about that biaaatch j/k .

Last edited by MO REX; 06-23-2005 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: how do u install camber bolts?