Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

HELP funky brake noise brembos

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 06 suby sti
HELP funky brake noise brembos

Alright so i've searched many brake issues on the forums, although many similar, I have quite a different and annoying problem.

Car:
06 sti w/ stock brembos

here's the story:
1. I buy set of Axxis Ult ceramic pads and install them myself, and get this awful BRAKE grinding (like metal on metal) noise, so after 50 miles of driving i take them off and slap the oem brembos pads back on (they had like 4mm left), but guess what; NOISE STILL THERE.

2. I go to a legit brake shop, he turns the rotors (getting rid of that god foresaken lip on the edge of the rotor) and slaps on the Axxis Ults for me. BUT the grind although lower in volume, IS STILL THERE.

3. It's been a few weeks now, and i've TRIED to live with it, but god please help me, ENOUGH is enough. I also have now noticed the brakes "click" kinda clunk when i park ( so when changing direction and braking; reverse- brake, "CLICK" forward- brake, "CLICK."

PLEASE SOMONE; did i mess up something by amaturely installing my pads? Are there shim or clips that need to be greased up ESPECIALLY well when changing brakes?

please help.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
not sure if i missed it, but did you bed the brake pads?
Old 05-21-2009, 06:00 PM

Car Info: 02wrx
I think I know. If there is a grinding noise all the time i think its the backing plate(push it back and solved). If its a grinding noise only when applied, then you did something with the shims or pads(make sure the shims fit correctly, not wrong way, lube the back of the pads and where the pads sit against the caliper and the sliders).
Old 05-21-2009, 06:31 PM

Cheston: yeah, the guy at the shop drove it for a bit and the next day i Bedded untill most of the rotor was shining again.

Adamp: It's esp. noticeable when braking, but i question if there is very very slight grind that i kind of learned to ignore. And im NOT sure, but it seems like i hear it when turning left sometimes.

I will get back in there and try lubbing the s**t out of the pads this weekend and post an update. thanks for the input guys, and please if anyone knows or has an idea; i'm all ears.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:22 PM
banned

Car Info: 2004 STi
get use to axis pads being really noisy. if you didn't want noise then you should have spent money on decent pads and not ebay brands.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by C89ZX7R
get use to axis pads being really noisy. if you didn't want noise then you should have spent money on decent pads and not ebay brands.
I would accept that, BUT the noise was still there after i put the oem brembos back on. So I'm assuming there is another culprit at fault.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:48 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Originally Posted by earlybird
Cheston: yeah, the guy at the shop drove it for a bit and the next day i Bedded untill most of the rotor was shining again.

Adamp: It's esp. noticeable when braking, but i question if there is very very slight grind that i kind of learned to ignore. And im NOT sure, but it seems like i hear it when turning left sometimes.

I will get back in there and try lubbing the s**t out of the pads this weekend and post an update. thanks for the input guys, and please if anyone knows or has an idea; i'm all ears.
Hmmm...actually, what Adamp said rings a bell. this happened to me too, just 2x check the backing plate to make sure it's not rubbing against the rotor somewhere.

All else being equal, there is a slight chance these brakes are just that noisy.

random ?: how many miles on your car and are they also original rotors?

finally, the clicking/clunking when reversing...yeah, i'll say it's normal with aftermarket brakes. being fresh, there really isn't any "play" in the system. the pads will essentially be rubbing on the rotors whether or not you are pushing on the brake pedal. might as well check your brake fluid to make sure it's between the "Min" and "Max" too.

Good luck!

Cheston
Old 05-21-2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by CHESTON
Hmmm...actually, what Adamp said rings a bell. this happened to me too, just 2x check the backing plate to make sure it's not rubbing against the rotor somewhere.

All else being equal, there is a slight chance these brakes are just that noisy.

random ?: how many miles on your car and are they also original rotors?

finally, the clicking/clunking when reversing...yeah, i'll say it's normal with aftermarket brakes. being fresh, there really isn't any "play" in the system. the pads will essentially be rubbing on the rotors whether or not you are pushing on the brake pedal. might as well check your brake fluid to make sure it's between the "Min" and "Max" too.

Good luck!

Cheston
Thanks, I'll check on the fluid while im getting dirty. when i replaced them, they were around 21k miles, and yeah they were the resurfaced original rotors.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 PM
banned

list how "you" and the mechanic bedded in the pads.....
Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by C89ZX7R
list how "you" and the mechanic bedded in the pads.....
well "I" drove them around making 10X 40-10 mph moderate stops....
Old 05-21-2009, 10:23 PM
banned

You don't make stops during the bedding in process and your speed is rather slow.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 PM

Oooo I forgot to mention did you check the thickness of the rotors after the resurface if it's under spec then it will make grinding noise and will hurt your caliper
Old 05-22-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by adamp
Oooo I forgot to mention did you check the thickness of the rotors after the resurface if it's under spec then it will make grinding noise and will hurt your caliper
naw, i trusted the mechanic knew about that kind of stuff. I'm gonna bring it to someone who is willing to take a look at it, or at least have mic to make sure. 28mm or less is throw away (can anyone verify that)?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:29 PM

Ummm I recently got a free set of rotors for my brembos and it was below spec from the top of my head I wanna say the discard is .... Dam I for forgot while typing this
Old 05-23-2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by adamp
HURT MY CALIBERS??? alirhgt, u just scared me into picking up some rotors from napa. I pray there isnt any real damage. get them slapped on weds. AND

i suppose i know the answer to this, but lets throw it out there anyway: sand the pads a bit and slap the on the new rotors with a proper bedding OR just pick up some hps off ebay and have fresh pads and rotors? ( keep in mind these pads have like 1.5k miles, never seen a track)

Last edited by earlybird; 05-23-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP funky brake noise brembos