Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Are Group-N-Top Hats w/ Prodrive springs really needed???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 11:25 PM

Question Are Group-N-Top Hats w/ Prodrive springs really needed???

i'm about to order prodrive springs for my 2005 wrx sedan, and am not sure if it's really needed if i need the group-n-top hats. would it make a big difference? what are the affects if i did have them on, or did not have them on. i don't feel like paying the extra $300 for the top hats. Thenx for the help guys. respond back asap! i want my prodrives hehe.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:53 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX
The general concensus would be yes, you might as well get them since you are taking off the springs anyways, but no, they aren't needed. I dunno what they do exactly as I don't have them (still stock waiting to install my v8 takeoffs). If you don't have the money then don't get them. Just know that most people are going to say it'll be "better" with them.

I say go for it.. get the tophats later if you want.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:55 AM

Car Info: GDA
don't have STi tophats w/my prodrives...used the stock ones on KYB struts. it rides nicely...put them on if you have the money, if not, you still won't be disappointed.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
my prodrive springs are shipping, i was just planning to just swap them in, as most of what i've been reading says they work ok with the stock setup. can someone break down what the tophats do? so i can get a better feel of whether or not i should order them or not?

sorry to hijack if i did.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:08 PM

Talking

i'm curious too as to what the top hats do. for 300 extra bucks i'm guessing they play a huge roll. but then again, i hear that a lot of people say that it's still an A+ ride w/ out the hats.

Last edited by SPT_TRBO_AWD; 03-18-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by SPT_TRBO_AWD
i'm curious too as to what the top hats do. for 300 extra bucks i'm guessing they play a huge roll. but then again, i hear that a lot of people say that it's still an A+ ride w/ out the hats.
They have stiffer rubber in them. The USDM STI, as far as I know, does NOT come with the stiffer top hats, if that means anything to you.

Supposedly, you might get some mush in the standard top hats, which you might notice as subtle suspension movement or lack of precision. The stiffer group N would likely cause more noise and vibration transmission into the cabin, though.