Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Getting coilovers... now what

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB GGA
Getting coilovers... now what

So I got lucky and was handed some Bilstein SS9's for the price of free ninety nine.

Now that I have that big coilover vs shock/spring debate out of the way.. what's next? I just picked this car up last week, so everything is stock. Probably won't be racing it, but will take it out for a round of "spirited driving" here and there. I've been reading that sway bars are a big upgrade. I suppose that's next on the list?
Old 06-01-2013, 01:08 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
Swaybars are a great mod. Make sure to upgrade the endlinks as well. And some good tires will make a big difference in handling/grip.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:50 AM

Car Info: 2012 WRB STI Wagon
after the sways and endlinks, get moaw powwa!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chenstah
after the sways and endlinks, get moaw powwa!
Chyea, I'm probably going to get DP/UP/Exhaust and ECU flash and call it a day with power mods for now
Old 06-01-2013, 07:27 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Adjust your coilovers right and get a good alignment. I was able to tune out all understeer through the coilovers. Never felt the need for sways after that. I would put the extra money towards better tires & alignment first. Also changing seats made a pretty big difference in keeping me positioned right in the car.

If you want to get some weight off your nose, you can swap in a lightweight battery. Cheap mod.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
Yeah a good alignmet is key. It made a huge difference in my car.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:51 PM

How does one go about tuning the coilovers correctly?

These feel SUPER bumpy, but I haven't messed with the stiffness. I assume since the last guy used them for auto-x that they're set pretty stiff. Don't think they're blown though.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Contact Bilstein for a pdf of the manual for the coilover. It will tell you how to properly set them up. Each coilover is different, but the manufacturer will have a recommended range for adjusting the height, dampening, and preload usually.

After thats dialed in and your happy with the height then you could take it over to Custom Alignment in Mountain View or another suspension shop that specializes in tuning performance setups and have them setup your alignment based on your plans for the car.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:12 AM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by ddavis
Contact Bilstein for a pdf of the manual for the coilover. It will tell you how to properly set them up. Each coilover is different, but the manufacturer will have a recommended range for adjusting the height, dampening, and preload usually.

After thats dialed in and your happy with the height then you could take it over to Custom Alignment in Mountain View or another suspension shop that specializes in tuning performance setups and have them setup your alignment based on your plans for the car.
put autoinnovations and edgemotorworks on your list as well
Old 06-02-2013, 12:35 PM

Sourcing the pdf for the coilovers helped a ton. Feels much better now.

I'll probably check out auto innovations again, they did my 240sx years ago. Thanks for the help guys
Old 06-02-2013, 12:37 PM

Car Info: '03 yellow bugeye wagon
Originally Posted by Jaytron
So I got lucky and was handed some Bilstein SS9's for the price of free ninety nine.

Now that I have that big coilover vs shock/spring debate out of the way.. what's next? I just picked this car up last week, so everything is stock. Probably won't be racing it, but will take it out for a round of "spirited driving" here and there. I've been reading that sway bars are a big upgrade. I suppose that's next on the list?
IMHO, next on your list shoudl be: Altezza tails, cut the spring on those coils for more low. 15x7 Enkei mesh +0 offset, wide angle rear view mirror and the largest tachometer at Autozone.

**** YEAH.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Generic
IMHO, next on your list shoudl be: Altezza tails, cut the spring on those coils for more low. 15x7 Enkei mesh +0 offset, wide angle rear view mirror and the largest tachometer at Autozone.

**** YEAH.

#winning
Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Generic

**** YEAH.
They are coils, so they already have teh low if he wants

Sways and tires are your best value for handlng. You sure those PSS9s fit wagons? I'm not 100% sure they do.

Last edited by 04GG; 06-06-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 04GG
They are coils, so they already have teh low if he wants

Sways and tires are your best value for handlng. You sure those PSS9s fit wagons? I'm not 100% sure they do.
He was teh trollin. Silly guy (best friend irl)

They seem to fit fine, what about them would not allow them to fit on a wagon? They don't go very low though, No #hellaflush #stance swagger for me.

Wheels and tires are probably next for me. I'm going to give the 17x9 +38 DR-31's a try.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I'd take Rotas over Drags, but if those are the ones I think they are, that was cheap. It is entirely possible that I will have some 17x9 rotas for sale soon too.

Sedans and wagon suspension are farily different, so not all parts that fit sedans work properly for wagons.

Last edited by 04GG; 06-06-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Getting coilovers... now what