Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

drift set up for impreza

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 06:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
AWD to RWD, and back again.

Converting a Subaru to rear-wheel drive can be done in a number of different ways. The two most common solutions involve either completely locking the stock center differential, then removing the front axels, or by swapping out the center differential for one like the Design Craft part (www.designcraftfabrication.com). Typically, a center differential is locked by welding the spider gears into as solid mass, which is not particularly reversible procedure. Next, the front axles must be unbolted from the stub shafts in the hubs, and the axles removed from the transmission.

Locking the center differential is key; if left to its own devices in a situation where the front axles were removed, it would just spin freely, sending all the engine’s power to the unmotivated front wheels. The viscous coupling would make an effort to shift some of the power to the rear, but ultimately would either seize or grenade.

In contrasts, Design Craft claims its center diff can be installed by the average mechanic in about half an hour. Replacing yours tock diff and viscous coupling should take about the same time. By disabling power to the front axles within the center diff, there’s no need to remove any other parts, and converting back and forth between AWD and RWD is a snap.

The rub, of course, is the rear output shaft was only designed to handle half the stock engine’s power. Put all the power through that shaft, then nearly double the stock output and you have one very stressed output shaft.

After several successful drift outings, the output shaft finally snapped as soon as we pointed a camera at the car and yelled “Light’em up!”

So this is the end artical of the story "The Beauty of Two-Wheel Drive" in Sport Compact Car April 2004*Volume 16, No. 04.

Under his drivetrain mods it states the following:

Design Craft Fabrication center diff
STi three-puck metallic clutch
KAAZ rear dif
Kartboy short-shift kit

This was all for a 2002 WRX wagon.

I'm not saying to do any of this. Just pointing out what the artical said so that you can make a decision for yourself.

Good luck and if you have any questions or if you want me to photo copy the artical and send it to you just let me know.

Late,

Lowball
Old 09-17-2004, 03:25 PM

Car Info: 98 L w/hybrid ej257 Linked
stretched tires help to, well on a rwd car it does. for instance on my 240..

im running a 17x9 +15 (f) with 215/45 and 17x10 +12 (r) 225/45
Old 09-28-2004, 12:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
All you need is some practice in a wide open place. I've taken my wrx sideways several times. I usually feint it and keep my foot on the gas. I use the stock RE92s to get it loose.