Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

DMS 40mm

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 12:14 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
hey there

we could use some more info

what size rims? stock or aftermarket?
what size tires?

in general you should not have this problem, as long as you dont have a weird offset or super wide tires. i had rubbing problems with my old RS and kyb agx's w/225 dunlops. adjusting the camber helped, but they still rubben with extreme cornering.

did you do the install?

anyway, let us know some more detail. if everything is somewhat stock, or within normal parameters, you should definatly contact DMS and talk to dave about your problem.

josh
Old 11-25-2002, 05:21 PM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza Coupe RS-T Tec3/Vishnu turbo Color: B
Crank the height up about a half-inch. Sounds like it is still settling.

I have installed about 5 sets of the 40mm and they all have settled quite a bit and all have rubbed if you try to start out lowered more than a half inch lower than stock height.

When settled the lower locking spanner is normally just above the tire or just above the wide part of the sidewall.

Start about stock height for the first day then lower it down after it settles.

If you want more info send me an email with your phone number and I can help you out.

Last edited by david2z4; 11-25-2002 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:38 PM

Yes what tires, size, and wheel width and offset you running?

O IC you have stock rim. well the tire brand does make a big differance, what size and brand are they?

Last edited by david2z4; 11-25-2002 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:39 PM

Car Info: 04 GGA+
Re: DMS 40mm

Originally posted by spookytoot
Hey, I've installed 40mm dms on my2000 Rs 2.5. I have a problem with the rear tire touching the coilover and creating quite a mess. I have the camber set way out with less than 5mm to spare between the stock tires and the suspension. Any suggestions? any one else with the same problem? did I over look something?
The DMS are famous (infamous) for not providing much positive camber. What washers are you using in the rear? You should be using the black ones (they provide the most adjustment) and they should be set to full positive. Even w/ that, I was only able to get down to -1.2 degrees in the rear. What are your camber readings in the rear?

If you are using the black washers at full positive and still getting inboard rubbing you have a couple of options 1. - eccentric bolts utilized in the rear (should be able to dial out additional neg camber) 2.- go w/ a thin spacer 3-5mm 3. go w/ a lower offset wheel

big sky
Old 11-25-2002, 05:45 PM

big sky,

are you talking 40mm and GC8 Impreza? The problem you describe is on the 50mm on the new age impreza and I have not seen this with the 40mm on the GC8.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by david2z4
big sky,

are you talking 40mm and GC8 Impreza? The problem you describe is on the 50mm on the new age impreza and I have not seen this with the 40mm on the GC8.
I'm talking 40's on the GD, the lack of postive camber w/ the provided washers is common w/ this setup, it at least sounds similar to his problem. What eccentric washers do the GC setup come w/? I didn't know it was also a problem on the 50's.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:11 PM

The GD has the lack of positive camber as far as I know. With my 40mm on the GC I am running the black with the most neg camber I can get and it is right at -1.5 on the rear. I can go lots of positive camber by flipping over the black washer too.

The washers are the same black is the most, Gold is the less than silver is no offset on the washer.

Im sure his problem is that he started too low. Even at stock ride height when you first put them on the spring is about an inch longer than when it settles. This moves the bottom spanner pirch down into the tire until it settles and you crank it back up to take up for the shorter spring. So starting with it high to begin with you move the spanner up out of the tire.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:32 PM

Sounds like the GC doesn't suffer the same camber problem as the GD, especially if your running full negative on black and only getting -1.5, w/ the GD you'd be getting close to -4.0!

Just out of curiousity does the GC 40's suffer from any of the problems we encountered w/ the 40's- bouncy ride, delayed shift in weight when braking, clunking (I never experienced this)-most likely caused by sticking bushing in the rear?
Old 11-25-2002, 08:26 PM

Mine are the first gen. 40mm and they are sticking front and rear. only have like 4000 miles on them to. They were real smooth for about 300 miles then they started all the known problems. The new version 40mm with new bushings, double seals and new grease should not have these problems but haven't heard if it does. over time will tell.

Waiting for Dave C right now to get me fixed up.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:28 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
hey there

my 40s on my rex wagon were in good shape, but i too started to suffer the clunk. they felt sticky when i removed them, but not sure if that had affected the ride yet...

as for the camber/rubbing problem....

if you have 5mm of clearance you should be ok. i am still confused though why you are having the issue at all. i had the same problem on my rex wagon, but only because i was using 225's. 205 or 215's should fit great.

what top hats are you using? and also, as big sky asked, what camber washers are you using?

josh
Old 11-26-2002, 05:54 AM

I have about 5mm of clearance from the tire to the lower pirch also. It is no problem.

Quick Reply: DMS 40mm