Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Cusco Zero2r -- how do you adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 08:16 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
Cusco Zero2r -- how do you adjust?

Just picked up a set of these used so I can't be sure of any factory settings. Looks to me like you want to set spring preload at the lower spring seat then make height adjustment at the lower lock ring.

Talked to an alignment tech at a speedshop and a salesperson at a retail establishment that handles Cusco and was advised that you want to use both adjusters for height adjustment. This doesn't sound right.

Can I get some help from the Cusco gurus out there?
Old 09-24-2003, 11:51 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I saw you swing by BOZZ today.

I was busy so I could not help you out. Hopefully Stan explained it to you, but here is how you are supposed to do it.

The base of the shock can be screwed into the hub braket and the spring perch can be adjusted too.

As per Mr. Nagase (CUSCO VP), the correct way to do it is to do the following.

You want to adjust the ride car of your car by adjusting the shock, not perloading the spring. You want to keep your spring travel as long as possible.

Jack your car up.
Loosen the spring perches so that the spring is loose.
Start tightening them until it touches the spring.
Then give it few more turns to hold it in place.
Not compress it. Just so that it doesn't move.
Then lower your car.
Note the height and if you need to raise or lower it continue.
Jack the car up again.
Adjust the shock body up/down by desired mm.
Readjust the spring so that it is just sit tight in place.
Just like you did at the begining.
Lower.
Check.
Do again if needed.
Then, when you do corner balancing, preload the springs.

Hope this makes sense.

---

The lowest setting you can do (if nothing else prevents you from slamming your car) is a point at which the bottom of the shock body smacks into the axle outer CV boot.

The highest setting you can do is to raise the shock body all the way up, leaving 2" of the shock body inside the hub braket.

Hope this help,

Feel free to ask any questions.

- Alex@BOZZ
Old 09-25-2003, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by Imprezer

As per Mr. Nagase (CUSCO VP), the correct way to do it is to do the following.
- Alex@BOZZ
Where else are are you gonna get an answer like that?

Makes perfect sense, just what I needed. Thanks Alex.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:34 PM

Do you think this is correct for the original Cusco Zero's and would this be optimal for SCCA SOLO II?
Old 09-26-2003, 09:50 AM
Admin v2.0

This is correct for any coilovers that have adjustable shock body and spring perches.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:39 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
hey Alex, instead of starting a NEW thread...I'll ask you here...

What is the difference in Cusco Zero 2R's and Cusco Zero2??

I loved my Zero2Rs, just wanted to know the difference...(since I will be hooking up my ride again)

thanks
-freddie

Last edited by 1WRX2NV; 09-28-2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:53 PM

Oh Also, just a thought on adjustments....

My understanding is that you dont really want to mess with the facory spring setting. So, to lower the car, wouldnt you want to

*jack up car
*measure it out
*take out 2 bolts holding bottom base
*screw base upwards to desired hight (both sides equal)
*bolt base to car
*lower car
*adjust more or less if needed

I 'm asking because on my last set of 02R's I just loosned the bottom perch(?) and spun the theads down into the base....which worked....but later I found that actually made the springs loose and changed the factory spring load. Also too, when we adjusted them like this at your shop along time ago (the 1st set)...I think thats what caused the popping sound we could never find.

Does this make sence? Sorry if thats what you already explained...I got a little lost

thanks again

-freddie
Old 09-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Admin v2.0

Originally Posted by 1WRX2NV
Oh Also, just a thought on adjustments....

My understanding is that you dont really want to mess with the facory spring setting. So, to lower the car, wouldnt you want to

*jack up car
*measure it out
*take out 2 bolts holding bottom base
*screw base upwards to desired hight (both sides equal)
*bolt base to car
*lower car
*adjust more or less if needed

I 'm asking because on my last set of 02R's I just loosned the bottom perch(?) and spun the theads down into the base....which worked....but later I found that actually made the springs loose and changed the factory spring load. Also too, when we adjusted them like this at your shop along time ago (the 1st set)...I think thats what caused the popping sound we could never find.

Does this make sence? Sorry if thats what you already explained...I got a little lost

thanks again

-freddie
Factory pre-set settings works the best from what I have seen. However, there are many other factors that might change this. Like wheel and tire sizes, sway bar settings, purpose, etc. For most people, factory settings are optimal.

To lower car you don't need to turn the base. You turn the shock body with provided wrenches. Basically you preload the spring to your requirements, then adjust height by turning the shock body.

Your poping sound was a loose pillow ball. I was not aware that you can tighten that back then, so I did not check that. I saw the warranty work order when they came back. Nothing was wrong with them. The car was too low, so it chewed up the rubber boots because it got pinched with the springs. And, pillowball got loose.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:44 AM

ok cool...that way I know when I get another set.

Also, on my last set...thay started to pop also, but I took them out (6 months ago) and noticed that the spring was loose...not the perch, as if it was when I screwed the threads down into the base, causing the spring to move down too. Anyway, I tightend the 2 perches upward against the spring, until there was no more play in the spring and bolted it back up and had no noises after that. They were as good as new. Aww, just a thought....not saying that was the case on the 1st set...just something I learned with the last set I had.

oh and what was the difference bewteen the Z2's and Z2r's?

thanks
-freddie

Last edited by 1WRX2NV; 09-29-2004 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:07 AM

Zero 2 is a conventional strut, Zero2R is inverted. Both use a 40mm piston IIRC
Old 10-09-2004, 11:21 PM

so what would the difference be as far as perfomance?

Adam, thanks for your reply by the way

-freddie
Old 10-10-2004, 01:09 AM
Admin v2.0

I tried to find a post where I explained it but no luck.

02's are twin-tube design made by "Shoa" <sp?>.
02R's are mono-tube design made by KYB.

02's ride a lot smoother due to their design.

02R are capable of taking more beating and are generally considered a race setup. On cars with McPherson suspension setups, there is a lot of "load" and "stress" that the shock has to take. That is why the inverted setup is better for that.

twin-tubes cannot be flipped over, because they will simply not work like that. The oil will get mixed with gas and the shock will not work as it should. That is why when you take a mono-tube, flip it and force it down, it doesn't go in very easy. Where a twin-tube (like stock WRX shock) can be easily compressed upside down and will take some time to pop back out.

Both setups will give you great performance. Matched with proper springs (read: I do not recommend "standard" 6/8 combo) both setups will kick *** on the track and on the street. 02Rs are more suited for mountain roads and other places where your suspension will take some beating. For weekend warrior, 02's are better. They will not cause your girlfriend to want to use a bra of smaller size to prevent excessive gigglage.

For other cars, that have double wishbone suspension, 02's is all you need. Most people don't know, but for example, for the new EVO's that have DW suspension in the back, 02R's come with inverted shock for the front and regular in the back. The bottom line is, you DON'T need inverted shocks for DW. That is why CUSCO doesn't make 02R's for FD RX7's, Supra's, etc.

Typically, people think if something is more expensive it is "better" or more "hi-end". That is not always the case. You get what you want and you pay how much it costs. In the case of 02 and 02R's, both are great. Just depends what you are looking for.

Hope this explains it all (again).
Old 10-10-2004, 05:10 AM

It's Showa

Inverted struts are said t react faster and also run a bit cooler due to their design. I have driven both types on WRX's and Evo's with similar setups, both on tracks and street and the two felt nearly identical to me. For the average user, the 02 is all anyone could ever need as Alex said
Old 10-10-2004, 10:55 AM

Sweet Alex, thanks....I never saw a write up like that, on these coilovers....awesome!!

and thanks to Adam for your imput as well, both will help in my future pruchase. (again) lol

-freddie
Old 10-11-2004, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Imprezer
Matched with proper springs (read: I do not recommend "standard" 6/8 combo) both setups will kick *** on the track and on the street.
How about some spring recommendations?

Quick Reply: Cusco Zero2r -- how do you adjust?