Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

WHICH COILOVER's Should I GET?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:39 AM

Car Info: BMW 525i E39
WHICH COILOVER's Should I GET?

Hey guys ..... just wanting ur opinions. Which Coilovers should i get? Just for everyday street driving. I currently run on H & R Springs. My budget is around 800 dollars the max i can pay currenlty i am thinking about Tien Basic, Nex GT or SS coilovers, Megan Racing Coilovers, K Sport << i think too expensive or is there any other companies that i shoud look out for? Thanks for all the help. appreciate it
Old 03-30-2008, 12:46 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Stay with shock and spring set-up. There are coilovers available, but if you don't paln on doing either spirited driving or motorsports, no point in spending extra money for the extra features of coilovers.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:38 AM

Car Info: BMW 525i E39
hmmmmm ^^ stock springs, i know but i wanted to adjust my ride height. Just to lower it a little bit.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:50 AM

Take your pick for springs. Swift, Crucial, Prodrive. Each will be different in terms of drop, ride comfort, stiffness. Ask around for rides on each set-up and make a decision on which one you like best. If you need shocks, too, get the KYB AGX. Unlike coilovers, they have a limited lifetime warranty. As far as I know, I only know of one coilover set-up that has a lifetime warranty, and those are the KW's.

Like I said, if you don't plan on doing motorsports or you don't want to deal with a significantly stiffer ride, don't get coilovers.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: every subaru ever
Tokico D-Spec struts + a good spring will feel a lot better then a cheap set of coilovers. Get an STi spring you like in terms of lowering and you're set.

- Andrew
Old 04-15-2008, 01:28 PM

Car Info: MY06 WRX Wagon
How do the Tokico struts compare to Koni's (besides the labor involved to install the Koni's). Is this a preference thing, or is one considerably "better" than the other.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
Originally Posted by Schell
How do the Tokico struts compare to Koni's (besides the labor involved to install the Koni's). Is this a preference thing, or is one considerably "better" than the other.
From what I understand the Koni's are a bit better. I have the D-specs on swifts and love them. They suit my needs as a 95% daily driver 5% motorsports! Very comfortable, and still have some damping adjustability for the track/spitited driving!

Subaru_dude, I agree with the spring/strut set-up. My first suspension upgrade was Cusco 02r's and they were way beyond my driving needs. I switched to the spring/strut set up and couldn't be happier, unless someone gave me a set of Ohlins coilovers, but that'll never happen!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:24 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
If it's just for a DD coilovers are like killing a fly with a sledgehammer. Total overkill. You'd be better off with Pink springs, sway bars and maybe some aftermarket struts.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 2006 Impreza WRX LTD
Prodrive the drop is minimum at n inch around nice and tight not too low.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 PM

Car Info: nothing
i have bc br racing, they're good.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
what about a kyb agx and the ground control coilover combo? i've heard that these work pretty well and might be good in your situation. They aren't super aggressive springs and they are adjustable like coilovers, but way cheaper
for those who don't know
Ground Control
Old 04-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by salvator_rizzo
what about a kyb agx and the ground control coilover combo? i've heard that these work pretty well and might be good in your situation. They aren't super aggressive springs and they are adjustable like coilovers, but way cheaper
for those who don't know
Ground Control
That's certainly a possibility. Like I said, it is all a matter of preference. With the Ground Control sleeve, you do get the height adjustable option.

Really, what is a coilover exactly? If you look at it, it is just a shock, spring, and camber plates and pillowball mount. The only difference they have between shock and springs is you get more options to tweak with. If you aren't doing motorsports, there really isn't a point to buying coilovers.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 PM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
you can try stance. they have pretty good reviews. the price is really good too. but its kinda stiff.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by wimprezax06
you can try stance. they have pretty good reviews. the price is really good too. but its kinda stiff.
Negative. The Stance are great coilovers, however... they are still as hell. Just stick with shocks and springs.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Alot of subie owners love their Helix DNA or Megans...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WHICH COILOVER's Should I GET?