Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Coilover Suction Sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 06 AW STi
Coilover Suction Sounds?

Another Update - Post 26

Hi Guys, I need some help diagnosing a coilover sound.

*Update*. Problem Found!!

it is 100% my dampening. I turned it to full hard and there is no noise. I turned it back to 8 from hardest and there is the same amount of noise as there was before (10/15 from hardest).

Now the problem is...how do I fix this?

It is just for that one coilover, all others are fine.

When my coilover is decompressed going over speed bumps (on the down side), going down a driveway at an angle (lowish car) it makes a suction sound from my rear passenger coilover. They are BC BRs with 8k swift springs and camber plates on the rear, but I've only had them for maybe a year and around 6k miles. They can't be dry already can they? No leaking either.

This just started happening out of nowhere within the last 2 weeks.

Please help!

Last edited by FL4T; 05-14-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
I too have BC BRs on my 02 RS. THey clunk in the rear passenger right. TBH ive heard of this issue, not necessarily with BC but just the corner. Also, some may say (BrFatal im sure will chime in here in abit). BCs are not the best out there and MAY have prematurely failed. But you stating its only Pass rear, leads me to believe its in conjuction with a possible BC to Subaru issue rather than just the coilover.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
A coilover won't be dry unless it's blown. It could possibly be a bearing issue. Can you localize the sound at all?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
A coilover won't be dry unless it's blown. It could possibly be a bearing issue. Can you localize the sound at all?
i was thinking that too. the suction you hear is air and oil passing through the leak. but that soon on BCs? dayuuum
Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
well I usually only hear it when going slowly over speed bumps or down driveways at an angle (allowing the coil to decompress) but going over a speed bump straight on or bumps/dips in the road, there is no sound

I am 95% sure its the rear passenger coil. what else makes that suction sound?

Originally Posted by 02RS25
i was thinking that too. the suction you hear is air and oil passing through the leak. but that soon on BCs? dayuuum
well that's unfortunate. I didn't notice any leaking, but I'll take another look.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by FL4T
well I usually only hear it when going slowly over speed bumps or down driveways at an angle (allowing the coil to decompress) but going over a speed bump straight on or bumps/dips in the road, there is no sound

I am 95% sure its the rear passenger coil. what else makes that suction sound?

well that's unfortunate. I didn't notice any leaking, but I'll take another look.
lift up your inner (stanchion) dust boot. there may be some oil hiding up top. IDK what else could cause that noise....you sure its not coil bind?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:12 PM

lift up your inner (stanchion) dust boot. there may be some oil hiding up top. IDK what else could cause that noise....you sure its not coil bind?
I think it may be the air passing oil like you said, but that wouldn't make sense if there wasn't a leak. I will have to check again.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM

I think it may be the air passing oil like you said, but that wouldn't make sense if there wasn't a leak. I will have to check again.
ya, if there is no oil....IDK what to tell you besides you got a baaad case of the BC gremlins. LOL
Old 05-01-2013, 01:51 PM

ya, if there is no oil....IDK what to tell you besides you got a baaad case of the BC gremlins. LOL
hahah yea. If there isn't a leak, then I guess I'll just have to listen to my music louder or get a louder exhaust
Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 PM

Update:

No leaking and the valve nut on the top is tight. The coil is not blown, no hammer sounds. Only a suction/squish on slow bumps/driveways when the coil is decompressed. What the heck is up with this?
Old 05-03-2013, 08:45 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Update:

No leaking and the valve nut on the top is tight. The coil is not blown, no hammer sounds. Only a suction/squish on slow bumps/driveways when the coil is decompressed. What the heck is up with this?
So you don't hear it from the rest of them? Who installed them?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:10 AM

hmmmm....and it doesnt sound like and internal dampening (valve) issue or your ride would be a pimpadelic caddy on hyradulics (bouncy as hell) (its friday, work with me here ) but its odd. all the other times ive heard squishing/ suction is on blown seals on the struts...
Old 05-04-2013, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by 04GG
So you don't hear it from the rest of them? Who installed them?
I installed them a long time ago and no I don't.

hmmmm....and it doesnt sound like and internal dampening (valve) issue or your ride would be a pimpadelic caddy on hyradulics (bouncy as hell) (its friday, work with me here ) but its odd. all the other times ive heard squishing/ suction is on blown seals on the struts...
haha yea. recently my car has been parked on my driveway and that one coil has been compressed (weird driveway) for hours and hours each night before I drive the next day for over a week.

Could it be caused by being compressed too long? Maybe my dampening valve nut isn't tight enough?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:49 PM

update. problem found!!

it is 100% my dampening. I turned it to full hard and there is no noise. I turned it back to 8 from hardest and there is the same amount of noise as there was before (10/15 from hardest).

Now the problem is...how do I fix this?

It is just for that one coilover, all others are fine.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:08 PM

bump for some help please.

Quick Reply: Coilover Suction Sounds?