Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Coilover setup or Spring and Strut Combo.....Which is better?

Old 07-17-2003, 11:43 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX
Coilover setup or Spring and Strut Combo.....Which is better?

I want to lower my Black 2003, and use it mainly for driving around the street, and perhaps get ****ty in the back canyons where i live. I was wondering if i should get a coilover setup like the adjustable dampering tiens, or just some eibachs and struts... What should i do to get the most for my money.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:29 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
If you don't intend to get on the track, I would suggest the Eibach Prokit, not Sportlines, and the KYB AGX, which are finally available for the GD chassis. Without getting track time, I wouldn't expect you to get your money's worth out of a set of Teins. Eibachs are very cheap, usually $180-190 shipped, and you can get the KYBs for $515 shipped from www.gruppe-s.com . Also, if you wait a few months, the price of the KYBs will probably go down, since they were just released.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:48 PM

Car Info: 03 Rex: HKS, Injen, Apexi, Perrin, Rota
i just had your exact question...

i found a set of tein flex's for 1300 bucks so i got 'em. it is somewhat of a love-hate relationship. on anything but a smooth road (asphalt that is) they don't yeild a very smooth ride. on most concrete there is an unhealthy amount of road noise which brings out any cabin rattles you might have not noticed yet. and if you are on a road with some bumpety-bump... forget about tryin to drink coffee, it is somewhat dangerous i think.

buuuuttt... when you aproach those 30mph freeway interchanges, you know the ones i'm talkin about, right... the long sweepers with a nice concrete wall a couple feet from the edge of the lane... when you can approach those in fourth gear at about 75 and never worry about your front end sliding out... thats when you'll thank yourself for parting with the $ to get the teins. they yield an immeasurable amount of ecstasy when you are pushing it to the limits.

i usually try to keep is pretty sane when i have anybody else in the car, but one of my roomates wanted to know "whats up with yo car man" so i took him for a little ride. he forgot to mention that he didn't like the ride quality. he pretty much had this goofy perma grin stuck to his face the whole time. and that pretty much sums it up right there.

the flex's give less than luxury-car ride quality, but they more than make up for it with the handling/grip. just my 2cents

ps i took some snaps of the car with that same roomie's digi camera, but he's stallin on downloading them from the camera for me, as soon as he does, you will be able to see my little slice of heaven on four wheels...