Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Breaking free

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 06:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
Breaking free

Got myself the whiteline Front and Rear Anti-swaybars on my 02 WRX wagon. The rear is the adjustable and it's set on the lowest setting. I ride on stock RE-92's set to stock (front 32 rear 29) tire pressure.

Ever since I put the front one on, I've found myself able to slide a lot easier. Namely, when I get myself in a nice tight corner, I break free a lot easier than before I put the front bar on. So my question is whether this is completely normal or not. Personally, I think it rocks. Also, by tightening up the rear swaybar, will this increase my chances of breaking free, or decrease.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2002, 11:53 PM
VIP Member

Thanks for the input. Looking for ways to improve the handling on my car with minimum $$$. I would love to get new tires but right now santa and I aren't on speaking terms, so I guess I'll have to make do. I'l leave the rear end as it is now for daily driving, and tighten it up for the next auto-x day.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
here is a link for good info on over and under steer! Including sway bars
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...n/racepres.htm
Old 12-29-2002, 05:33 PM

Car Info: 02 GGA
Re: Breaking free

Originally posted by EtchyLives
I put the front one on, I've found myself able to slide a lot easier.
What exactly do you mean by this? Also how much did you pay for your fsb?
Old 12-29-2002, 07:55 PM
VIP Member

An example:

Going down Wilikina towards H-2 from the North Shore. I get to the turn off for Kunia Road/Foote Gate on Schofield. I take the turnoff, and as I hit the very end I find that I am able to slide out into the other lane a lot easier than I used to. Of course, I am able to take things a little bit faster, too.

Now that I think about it, before I would start to hear a little squeal from the RE-92s a lot earlier and I would back off. Now, there is less/no squeal until the very end when I really gun the gas at the end of the turn.

Same driving style as I used to, just breaking free at the end of the turn.

I could be wrong about this. Imagining things that aren't there to justify the purchase of new parts.

Anyway, I got the FSB for $115. No shipping since I got it from LiquidSubaru. It didn't fit his RS.

-Greg
Old 12-29-2002, 09:42 PM

Thanks. I'll try out the front endlinks first and then see where I wanna go from there.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:10 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by push2
Thanks. I'll try out the front endlinks first and then see where I wanna go from there.
Go for it! I put the endlinks on this week and they are wild fun. You can really feel the Swaybar starting to take effect A LOT earlier as opposed to the stock endlinks. Over in the Vendor area Oakos has the endlinks on sale for $49 shipped. Don't know if that includes HI. They've got a package for $139 for front and rear endlinks (front Whiteline Rear Kartboy). If I had to do it all over again, I'd go that route.

-Greg
Old 12-29-2002, 10:21 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Are you saying it breaks free more when you get on the gas? If so, yes, that's perfectly normal. A larger front sway bar will improve the initial turn-in response (good) but will then make the car more likely to understeer (bad). So if you're saying that when you get on the gas hard to come out of the corner the front end breaks away then that's just the additional understeer becoming evident.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Old 12-29-2002, 10:30 PM
VIP Member

Yes, that is a good summary. And does it make sense to say that when I get off the gas in order to recover, the front end grips hard and really bites into the corner?

Is that what off-throttle oversteer is?

-Greg
Old 12-30-2002, 04:51 PM

Dave at www.oakos.com is who I got my links from! Thanks Dave! Very goood customer service. I guess I gotta put those puppy's on.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:57 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Originally posted by EtchyLives
And does it make sense to say that when I get off the gas in order to recover, the front end grips hard and really bites into the corner?

Is that what off-throttle oversteer is?

-Greg
If the tail swings out, then yes, that's drop-throttle oversteer. If the nose just tucks into the corner tighter and the rear stays pretty well planted that's not really oversteer, that's just a reduction of understeer. Does that make sense? It's still a good handling characteristic to have, as you can learn to adjust the line the car takes using the throttle. Whether dropping off the throttle actually provokes oversteer is just a matter of how close to the limit you are. Doing it at 10mph coming around a corner at a stoplight might make the front tuck in a bit, but won't get the rear to step out. Doing it at 45mph trying to line yourself up for a slalom gate in an auto-x probably will make the rear step out.

Pat
Old 12-31-2002, 01:05 AM
VIP Member

Pat, you are a wealth of info. Thanks. Next time at HRP I'll be a bit easier on you

Thanks

-Greg
Old 01-04-2003, 04:51 PM

45 mph trying to line myself up for a slalom gate in auto-x and the rear steps out. Hmm, that sounds familiar. My only problem was I was running on Falkens and once it let loose, that was it.

Pat

Is it safe to say that -2.5 camber in the rear would contribute to this as well?

Tim
Old 01-04-2003, 05:19 PM

I would think so