Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

braking in new DBA rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 11:32 PM

Car Info: RIP: 2000 2.5RS Sedan, BRP Now: 08 WRB WRX Hatch
braking in new DBA rotors

Ok i just put on these new rotors. they are the 650 series slotted ones. (fronts only). i already put in new Axxis Ultimate pads in with probably 100 miles on them. any tips to properly brake them in (season them in)? thanks

Daios (Day-ohhss)
Attached Thumbnails braking in new DBA rotors-dbaslotrotors03.jpg  
Old 11-24-2002, 12:48 PM

A little long but here are the instructions that came with my stoptechs...

Breaking in rotors and pads is critical to the optimum performance of your new brakes. When
breaking in new parts, you are not only heat cycling the pads, but depositing a layer of pad material
onto the rotor face as well. If not broken in properly, an uneven layer of pad material will be deposited
onto the rotor causing vibration. Vir ir irtually tually ev ever er ery y instance of a “ warped warped” ” r rotor otor is
attributed to uneven pad deposition.
Typically, a heavy braking street driver will experience approximately 1 to 1.1G’s of deceleration. At
this rate, ABS will be activated on such equipped vehicles. A moderate braking effort is needed to
properly break in rotors and pads. A stopping force of approximately 0.8G’s, just short of ABS
intervention is a general estimate of pedal effort you are trying to achieve.
Note: ote: P Plated lated r rotors otors must be driv driven en with gentle br braking aking until CAD plating is wor worn n off r rotor otor
faces BEFORE star starting ting the br break-eak-in pr procedur ocedur ocedure. e. D Do o not use br brakes akes aggr aggressiv essiv essively ely until plating
is wor worn n off, typically sev sever er eral al miles of driving.
Rotor and Pad Break-in (continued)
After completeing installation, make a series of 10 stops from 60 to 5-10 MPH. At the end of each
stop, immediately accelerate to 60 again for the next stop. Run all stops in one cycle.
During the 60 to 5-10 MPH series of stops, the exact speed is not critical. Accelerate to appoximately
60 and begin the braking cycle. As you approach 5-10 MPH, it is not necessary to watch the
speedometer, keep your eyes on the road and approximate your speed at the end of each cycle.
DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP, AS YOU WILL IMPRINT PAD MATERIAL ONTO
THE ROTOR, CAUSING A VIBRATION.
There are several indicators to look for while breaking in the system:
On the 8th ot 9th stop, there should be a distinct smell from the brakes. Smoke may be evident after
several stops as well.
Also on the 8th or 9th stop, some friction materials will experience “green fade”. This is a slight
fading of the brakes. The fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have
cooled.
After the break-in cycle is finished, there will be a blue tint color on the rotor with a light gray film
on the rotor face. The blue tint indicates the rotor has reached the proper break in temperature and
the gray film is pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor face.
If f racing or higher per perfor for formance mance pads ar are e being used, add four stops fr from om 80 to 5-10mph and
if a full race pad, four stops from 100 to 5-10 mph.
After the first break in cycle shown above, the brakes will still not be operating
at their best capacity capacity. . A second or thir third d heat cy cycle cle is typically necessar necessary y befor before
the brakes r really eally star start t to “ come in in”. ”.
StopT topT topTech ech does not endorse speeding on public r roads. oads. If going abo above e the legal
speed limit, do so in a safe area, away from traffic at your own risk.
After the final stop, drive as much as possible without using the brakes to cool off the system.
Ideally, the brakes should be allowed to cool to ambient temperature before using again.
DO NO NOT T C COME OME TO O A C COMPLETE OMPLETE ST STOP OP WHEN THE SYSTEM IS HO HOT T AND LEA LEAVE VE
YOUR OUR FOO FOOT T ON THE P PEDAL. EDAL. P PAD AD MA MATERIAL TERIAL WILL IMMEDIA IMMEDIATEL TEL TELY TRANSFER TO
THE R ROTOR OR CA CAUSING USING A VIBRA VIBRATION. TION.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:12 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
But those break-in structions are for StopTechs rotors specifically. I guess you can do them to the DBA rotors but it would be best to ask DBA themselves.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:32 PM

i heard i should just drive it normally for a couple days (abt a week or a hundred/couple hundred miles) no heavy braking. first couple days, just light braking to warm up and just be easy on the brakes to brake the top layer off the rotors and get some pad layer on the rotor surface itself. then after a week or so.. do a couple light braking to medium braking to warm up the brakes, jump on the freeway for a bit to cool them off, do a couple more medium brakes to get the temp up, freeway a bit, then back to medium and a few hard braking to raise the temp really high, then jump on the freeway for a while, park car overnight and its all set. also never do a full stop and never lock brakes.

is this right? basically?

Daios (Day-ohhss)
Old 11-24-2002, 08:15 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
I should say so. Sounds about right. I mean each company has their own way of breaking in a rotor. But it does look good Eric. Very tempting to get now.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Lobster Man
Please take a pic of them w/ your whole car, wheel mounted.
I'll try and take one once i clean my rims... right now they look anthrecite (sp?) with silver handprints because my axxis pads are dust crazy

Daios (Day-ohhss)
Old 11-25-2002, 05:00 AM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT "lightweight"
Talking

If not broken in properly, an uneven layer of pad material will be deposited
onto the rotor causing vibration. Vir ir irtually tually ev ever er ery y instance of a “ warped warped” ” r rotor otor is...

W ha t???
Old 11-27-2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Lobster Man
Please take a pic of them w/ your whole car, wheel mounted.
Attached Thumbnails braking in new DBA rotors-dbaslotrotors04.jpg  
Old 11-30-2002, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 02 GGA
Re: braking in new DBA rotors

Originally posted by Daios
Ok i just put on these new rotors. they are the 650 series slotted ones. (fronts only). i already put in new Axxis Ultimate pads in with probably 100 miles on them. any tips to properly brake them in (season them in)? thanks

Daios (Day-ohhss)
Where did you get your rotors from and how much? 1 more thing what type of driving do you do?
Old 12-01-2002, 02:37 PM

Re: Re: braking in new DBA rotors

Originally posted by push2
Where did you get your rotors from and how much? 1 more thing what type of driving do you do?
I didn't buy these rotors... they were a gift to me so i'm not sure how much. and i mostly do street driving, thats why I just have the 650 series.

Daios (Day-ohhss)