Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

ABS On/Off Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 07:23 AM

Car Info: 2003 wrx
kaminari: knowing what fuse would be helpful. I know it's either the abs solenoid fuse of the abs motor fuse, probable the solenoid though as it's in the car interior and easier to mod.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:06 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by Rally Ho
If you use the right fuse, you can flip it on & off at will. If you use the other fuse, you can turn it off, but it won't turn on again until you turn off the ignition.
I can tell you which fuse it *isn't*. I pulled the 20 amp fuse in the #8 slot which disables the ABS. I started the engine and the ABS indicator light stayed lit. I replaced the fuse while motor was running and the ABS light stays on. Cycling the ignition reset the ABS light and system.

This might not be the best fuse slot to modify, but it's the easiest one to reach. Radio Shack has some parts like mini-fuse taps and inline mini-fuse holders, as well as switches, that will make for a clean installation.

--
WW
Old 12-14-2002, 06:52 PM

sorry, the only fuse i know of is in my MY00 RS... and I still forgot which one that is, i'll find out later.

and the switch that will reset itself when the car's turned off and then on... they don't sell anymore. used to be from fastline.

-kami
Old 01-03-2003, 11:28 AM

if i remember right, the switch itself didn't hold the "reset itself when the car is turned off then on again" relay or whatever.

it's somewhere else.

i could be mistaken, it's been about a year or more since i last fiddled with it.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:58 AM

Car Info: full race 02 Prodrive widebody with 2.5 Cosworth
Come on I know there are some people out there that understand this stuff. I think this would be ofe of the best modifications if it could be done and if i only knew a little more about the wireing on the rex I would be working on this non-stop.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:17 PM

Car Info: 2005 Metallic Gray STI
Will someone have this situation set straight. I wanna have the on/off ABS too.
Someone pleeease show us how to set this up, the right way and safe way.
Please someone give us a wiring diagram how to set it up for 02-04 WRX. Someone who actually know what they're talking about.

Thank you
We appreciate on behalf of all the people in this thread who also wants to know.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:15 PM

Car Info: Black 03 WRX
I did this mod a long time ago but later got rid of it when i got rims and tires.

I took a fuse and cut it in half to cut the breaker in it and to solder some 10 or 12 guage wire to it, on of the wires having an inline fuseholder on it. Then I glued the broken fuse back together and soldered the other ends to one of numerous switches that I bought at Radio Shack, there are thousands of switches out there that would work. Make sure everything has proper amperasge handling otherwise something will fry and hopefully not your ABS brain, that thing is a couple grand to replace. My switch also came with a light if grounded to the chasis, i didn't bother with that. I then dremmeled the little blank for the switch in the dash to fit the the switch and superglued it together. Be patient in letting it dry. Then i pluged the setup (with a new fuse inside of the new fuseholder) into where the original fuse used to go. I like to call this an in-line fuse setup. Make sure you remove the fuse on the yellow fuseboard and not the one off to the side. I beleive its a 15amp fuse.

This mod is pretty fun but it will reak havock on your tires if you really enjoy it like I did. It is especially useful offroad though.

ABS has saves my butt in the snow though several times and I would leave it on there.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU GO DO THIS MOD AND END UP KILLING YOURSELF OR SOMETHING BREAKS IN YOUR CAR. I WILL NOT NE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANYTHING THAT MAY OCCUR AS A RESULT OF THIS MOD. BE SUPER CAREFUL AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! I AM FULLY WAIVING ANY RESPONSIBILITY THAT CAN BE PLACED ON ME AT THIS POINT.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:29 PM

Car Info: 2005 Metallic Gray STI
Originally Posted by rustokman
I did this mod a long time ago but later got rid of it when i got rims and tires.

I took a fuse and cut it in half to cut the breaker in it and to solder some 10 or 12 guage wire to it, on of the wires having an inline fuseholder on it. Then I glued the broken fuse back together and soldered the other ends to one of numerous switches that I bought at Radio Shack, there are thousands of switches out there that would work. Make sure everything has proper amperasge handling otherwise something will fry and hopefully not your ABS brain, that thing is a couple grand to replace. My switch also came with a light if grounded to the chasis, i didn't bother with that. I then dremmeled the little blank for the switch in the dash to fit the the switch and superglued it together. Be patient in letting it dry. Then i pluged the setup (with a new fuse inside of the new fuseholder) into where the original fuse used to go. I like to call this an in-line fuse setup. Make sure you remove the fuse on the yellow fuseboard and not the one off to the side. I beleive its a 15amp fuse.

This mod is pretty fun but it will reak havock on your tires if you really enjoy it like I did. It is especially useful offroad though.

ABS has saves my butt in the snow though several times and I would leave it on there.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU GO DO THIS MOD AND END UP KILLING YOURSELF OR SOMETHING BREAKS IN YOUR CAR. I WILL NOT NE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANYTHING THAT MAY OCCUR AS A RESULT OF THIS MOD. BE SUPER CAREFUL AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! I AM FULLY WAIVING ANY RESPONSIBILITY THAT CAN BE PLACED ON ME AT THIS POINT.

wasn't that the same method on page one. ( The cartoon looking diagram)???
Old 11-17-2004, 06:24 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon
is there anything else we can do to our abs besides turning it off ..
to tame the cut off due to going over bumps and breaking??
Old 11-29-2004, 09:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
So let me get this straight for I am electrically handicapped, I can yank the ABS fuse and it will disable ABS and when I replace it it will go back to normal right ? With no reprocussions (exept for bald tires?)

Rush
Old 12-02-2004, 08:53 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by WRX Rush
...I can yank the ABS fuse and it will disable ABS and when I replace it it will go back to normal right?
Pulling the 20 amp fuse in the #8 slot (ABS solenoid) disables the ABS. The ABS lamp will come on and stay on when the ignition is ON. System is activated again only after replacing fuse and cycling ignition. The ABS lamp will then go out. No ill effects as far as I can tell. The alternative is to wire in a switch. I think there are two different fuses that can be pulled but I can't recall the details.

Even though I think the ABS calibration sucks on a WRX, I can't recommend disabling the system. There's too much that could go wrong in an emergency situation and everyone has different abilities when it comes to modulating the brake pedal. Insurance companies take a dim view of disabling ABS, regardless of how the system performs.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 12-03-2004, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon
it seemed like after i upgraded my brakes to the front brembo kit the abs flutter seemed to not happen as much.. but, is there no one out there re-calipbratig their abs?? it must be difficult, but has anyone heard of anyone doing this service? im so sick of having to slam on my brakes because im coasting through a stop sign cause there just happened to of been some potholes at the breaking point..

Quick Reply: ABS On/Off Switch