Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

4pot fronts and..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 10:42 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx wgn
4pot fronts and..

I kno I had asked something on here before about having 4pot in the front, but now I got a new idea.

Good or bad? Subaru 4pot fronts w/ USDM WRX, RS, or Outback rear setup w/ upgraded pads?? Originally I wanted to have the Subaru 4pot front and 2pot rears, but the Subaru rear setup is alotta $$$$....
Anything to help me would be good. Thanks!
-Joe
Old 05-03-2003, 01:17 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Why waste your money on upgrading to Subaru 4 pots? You are not going to stop any faster. I'm serious about that. The pistons are the same size thus giving the same effective brake torque.

The only benefit is that you get better pad choices as you can now dip into what the 300ZX has had for years. Oh and the 4 pots are a fixed caliper so the overall feel will be firmer on the pedal.

Better pads up front, better fluid, SS lines all around and the the H6 upgrade in the rear will be a significant differnence for a lot less money. You can even just purchase some Axxis pads for the rear as well, although it's not really necessary.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
teiva-boy,

You are wrong.

Subaru 4-pots work great for the little $ they cost.

A stock WRX stops from 60-0 in about 128-131ft.

Our WRX with 4-pots, BOZZ Speed rotors (slotted) and BOZZ Speed pads stopped in 113ft.

Of course, tires play a role in braking, but no matter what, the 4-pot Subaru calipers will allow you to run bigger diameter rotor and THAT is what is IMPORTANT.

Comparing piston size on systems that use diff diameter and thickness rotors is pointless.

I think that Subaru 4-pots are a great deal. I would get just the calipers, and get some nice Project Mu pads and Project Mu pads with SS lines. That would give you as much stopping power as you might want on a "regular" WRX.

In the rear, I would get some nice Project Mu pads and Project Mu rotors with lines.

That is really good setup.

--------

On my own car, I am using Brembo's all around with Project Mu pads and Project Mu rotors in the rear. The front calipers are 4-pot "F40" Brembo's and in the rear I got STi Brembo's.

I also have the New Age STi master cylinder to cope with the increased in the overall piston # and diameter.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:56 PM

A stock WRX stops from 60-0 in about 128-131ft.

Our WRX with 4-pots, BOZZ Speed rotors (slotted) and BOZZ Speed pads stopped in 113ft

Alex,
How much of a fair comparison is this? It's not

Now if you could at least do the same mods to the "stock" WRX then it would be at least a more even match. Upgraded lines, pads, and fluid to the "stock" car would have been more of level playing field. Then you mention tires... Was the Bozz setup car using upgraded tires? I bet it wasn't using RE92's.

Side by side comparing the Subaru 4pots to the USDM 2pots the piston area is the same, thus giving the same performance. But since the 4 pots are a fixed caliper there will be a better feel in the pedal and probably less flex in the caliper under extreme braking. Also do the 4 pots use the same pad compound? I dont know this answer, but pad choice does have an important role in performance.

So my point is this, you can get a better bang for the buck upgrade with new pads, SS lines, and fluid. Rather then upgrading to 4 pots from subaru that will require new 17" wheels or at least RS OEM wheels, and you still DONT get any SS lines with that.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Admin v2.0

You missed my MAIN point, the rotor diameter and thickness. Brake fade is a reality with stock size rotor regarless of the pad and other parts.

Of course, tires were different. Thats why my 332x32 4-pot F40 caliper equipped WRX did very poorly on street tires. The brakes simply didn't heat up fast enough and tires didn't help either.

However, if we were to do few hot laps before the test, I am sure I would do MUCH better.

Rotor diameter and thickness (better cooling and more surface area) is more important than bigger "pots" on the same diameter rotor.

As a matter of fact, a larger caliper would cause the brakes to fade faster due to increased "clamping" power.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Imprezer
You missed my MAIN point, the rotor diameter and thickness. Brake fade is a reality with stock size rotor regarless of the pad and other parts.

You mean this one?
Of course, tires play a role in braking, but no matter what, the 4-pot Subaru calipers will allow you to run bigger diameter rotor and THAT is what is IMPORTANT.
When talking about the Subaru 4 pots, I was under the assumtion that they use your stock rotors? Perhaps I'm misinformed, if so then you are correct. Are we talking about this caliper? Cause that is what I have been referring to.
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2003, 04:19 PM

BTW, I'm moving to so-cal this month from Hawaii and that means I am going to be able to bug you soon I believe I still have your cell number as well

~Mitch
Old 05-04-2003, 02:57 AM
Admin v2.0

What's beefy?

They cannot be beefier than the stockers. They are just lighter, slotted and generally cool better. But sizewise, they are the same.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by Imprezer
What's beefy?

They cannot be beefier than the stockers. They are just lighter, slotted and generally cool better. But sizewise, they are the same.
werd!
Old 05-04-2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Silver arrow
Actually they are alittle thicker
The one peice is the same I believe, with the two piece being 1mm thicker. Woohoo! I think I solved all my fade issues right here Just kidding.

Quick Reply: 4pot fronts and..