Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

27mm front/rear sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
27mm front/rear sway bars?

Im going to start my suspension upgrades. I know everyone likes whiteline so im getting whiteline as well. I never hear anyone getting 27mm bars though. I see they have 22mm(seems to little) 24mm(this would be ok if i got the adj. and put it on the hardest setting) then 27mm. Bigger is better right?

If you didnt guess i want super duper hard suspension for some fun auto x events and fun marsh creek runs. I do drive my car a lot but not too intrested in comfortable driveablility, but not put it to **** eithier.

Any whiteline guys that can help? thanks

soon to get

whiteline f/r sway bars <--both 27mm?
whiteline rear endlinks?
whiteline front strut bar
whiteline anti lift kit
whiteline steering rack bushings
cusco rear strut bar
spt H brace

Last edited by LOL_VTEC; 05-23-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Originally Posted by LOL Vtec
Im going to start my suspension upgrades. I know everyone likes whiteline so im getting whiteline as well. I never hear anyone getting 27mm bars though. I see they have 22mm(seems to little) 24mm(this would maybe be ok if i got the adj. and put it inot the hardest setting) then 27mm. Bigger is better right?

If you didnt guess i want super duper hard suspension for some fun auto x events and fun marsh creek runs. I do drive my car a lot but not too intrested in comfortable driveablility, but not put it to **** eithier.

soon to get

whiteline rear endlinks?
whiteline anti lift kit
cusco rear strut bar
spt H brace

I just ordered 24mm front and rear adjustable with kartboy endlinks. I think for the street you will be happier with the 24mm ones, but that's just my opinion.

I'll PM you my order details to give you something to compare.

Derek
Old 05-23-2010, 02:46 PM

anyone have 27mm?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
I don't know of anyone who has 27mm bars on a street car. I put 22's on my WRX wagon and I think it is just right. Any fatter and I think I would be breaking traction in the back waaay too easy. Too big of sway bars will kill your traction on anything but perfectly paved streets.

And overall I think if you make the suspension overly stiff it will be twitchy and lose traction very easily, not something I would want on my daily driver.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:40 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
wow 27 is just crazy man, you will be fine with 24's
Old 05-23-2010, 04:41 PM

Car Info: WRB 03(sold) AW 03(sold) 02 Taco!
I have 24's with adjust-ability and whiteline endlinks/control arms and bushings. Stiff enough trust me!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:25 PM

Car Info: '04 PSM Sti
I've got whiteline's 27mm front and 24mm rear bars(full stiff setting) on my '05 sti and it handles great, I'm on whiteline's coilovers also tho.
________
Depakote side effect

Last edited by crfsti; 04-24-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by LOL Vtec
Im going to start my suspension upgrades. I know everyone likes whiteline so im getting whiteline as well. I never hear anyone getting 27mm bars though. I see they have 22mm(seems to little) 24mm(this would be ok if i got the adj. and put it on the hardest setting) then 27mm. Bigger is better right?

soon to get

whiteline rear endlinks?
whiteline anti lift kit
cusco rear strut bar
spt H brace
Alrighty. Let me see if I can help you out a little bit.

Here is the deal with the front sway bar. It depends. It depends on how you want your car to drive. You can go either direction. Go bigger or go smaller. If you go bigger, you'll have better steering response, but will lose grip in front. If you go smaller, the opposite will happen. It's really a preference thing.

Rear sway bar. Subaru's, and most other cars for that matter, push (understeer). That's just the way the world works. Size... it really depends. How much rotation do you need? Or how much do you want. Getting an adjustable bar could be a good way to go. Going to a bigger sway bar does not mean that your ride will be more uncomfortable. Here is a quick note. If you go 22 or 24mm rsb or bigger, you should also change your RSB mounts. That seems to be the threshold where those mounts will give/fail. As for RSB endlinks, do those also. Not sure what the threshold are for those to fail, but you are already under the car, might as well. As for size of RSB, it is really up to you. A lot of auto-x'ers look for the biggest RSB possible because 1. they need that rotation, 2. they need that rotation, and 3. they can handle that rotation. With that said, if you buy a RSB and what more or less rotation, you can always dial that in or out other ways, i.e. tire pressure, spring rate, dampening, rake, alignment, other stuff.

Front strut tower bar. The strut mounts are so close to the firewall that you really don't need a strut tower brace. The effect is so little. If you have a cheap ebay one or something, certainly doesn't hurt.

ALK. I find that cars with ALK's run more comfortable on the street. However, this mod, though great, will bump you up classes in auto-x. You should also look at the bushing replacement for caster. Effect is the same. Might be cheaper, and doesn't bump you up classes.

Steering Rack Bushing. Yes. Must do. I didn't really notice it so much on my car, probably because I had some stiff-*** coilovers, but I hear difference in response is day and night.

Rear strut tower brace. I find that the rear strut tower brace does help. My experience with that is that the brace adds a lot of rotation to the car. A lot of rotation. So much that I've spent the last few months trying to teach myself to break habits because I was spinning out left and right. I've talked to one of the OG people at auto-x and they were telling me that even a RSTB was getting there stock car to break loose in the rear.

H brace. Don't have any experience with it.

If I were you, I'd start with rear sway bar and endlinks first. Pretty easy to install. Take you an hour or so. Then see how it drives. And then work from there. One piece at a time. After you drive a little, you might find that certain things are more needed than others, and even in some cases, some things you might want to avoid all together.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:02 AM

great info darkonion, thank you.

what do you mean by "rotation". Slip?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:54 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Rotation is the amount that the back end rotates relative to the position of the front end of the car during a turn. You can also think of it as slip, "stepping out", etc. The basic idea is that with too much stiffness in the rear strut connections (sway bar, strut bar, whatever) the car will be more willing to go slideways. You are stiffening the suspension so that it is working together to get you MORE traction, but when you go too far you end up losing grip.

It's like adding negative camber, a little is good but too much gets you nowhere.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gancherov
Rotation is the amount that the back end rotates relative to the position of the front end of the car during a turn. You can also think of it as slip, "stepping out", etc. The basic idea is that with too much stiffness in the rear strut connections (sway bar, strut bar, whatever) the car will be more willing to go slideways. You are stiffening the suspension so that it is working together to get you MORE traction, but when you go too far you end up losing grip.

It's like adding negative camber, a little is good but too much gets you nowhere.
Gottcha. Thank you, too.

lots of great info on this page
Old 05-24-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gancherov

Yup.

Don't forget that you have an AWD car. How you want it to drive is up to you. Some people like a lot of rotation, and other's don't.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:49 PM

Car Info: '12 TSX 6MT/'01 E39 wagon/'67 VW on E85/'93 M900
What suspension are you on?

I have a 24mm front Whiteline and a 22mm rear Cusco, both adjustable. Upgraded front bar on a Subaru does wonders, I can't believe it took me so long to upgrade. But, 27mm for the front would be alot of bar on a street car, and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone running a 27mm rear bar.

Bigger is absolutely not better with alot of things when it comes to cars.

Stan

Last edited by stan_t; 05-24-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:02 PM

Asking me or the OP?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:24 AM

Car Info: '12 TSX 6MT/'01 E39 wagon/'67 VW on E85/'93 M900
The OP.

Stan