Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

is this true (60k mile service to cost $650-$700)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 07:11 PM

Angry is this true (60k mile service to cost $650-$700)?

I went to the dealership today to get the oil change done, so upon finishing that, I went to pay, and the service advisor tells me that my next service is due on 60000 miles (i have 56xxx on my wrx now), any way he tells me that that service is going to cost me between 650-700 $, can that be that f@#$%$ expensive? I thought I bought japanese car not a BMW, I would never buy the wrx if i knew it is that expensive to service!
Old 11-10-2004, 07:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Search around. Different dealers have different prices sometimes. They also do different work. Sometimes a dealer will only do the bare minimum on the 60k checkup, others will do as much as they can.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:54 PM

Thats about right. At least that's what I paid for a 60k tuneup with my Integra GSR back in 2000.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:03 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Yes that's about right. You don't have to go to the dealer. I have a local shop w/ Subaru certified techs and they can do the same thing. You can also do a lot of it yourself. Oil, tranny, plugs, etc.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:24 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
That's why they call them "stealerships!" You can do most of it yourself if you have even mediocre mechanical skill.

You should at least change:
Oil, filter -super easy-
Plugs -medium-
Air Filter -super easy-
In-cabin air filter -easy-
Fuel filter -super easy-
diff oil -easy-
tranny oil -medium/easy-
ok, what did I forget?
tire rotation- go to americas tire

NONE of that should cost what they want to rape you for.

Originally Posted by knele21
I went to the dealership today to get the oil change done, so upon finishing that, I went to pay, and the service advisor tells me that my next service is due on 60000 miles (i have 56xxx on my wrx now), any way he tells me that that service is going to cost me between 650-700 $, can that be that f@#$%$ expensive? I thought I bought japanese car not a BMW, I would never buy the wrx if i knew it is that expensive to service!
Old 11-11-2004, 08:21 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by knele21
I know....I was floored when I found out about the service cost. But you can do a lot of the work yourself like Superdave said. I'm not much af a mechanic, but changing your oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, tire rotation, lubricating moving parts of you break calipers is pretty easy. The only thing I would pay them to do is the tranny-diff fluid change. I think its regular maintanence that we all should know how to do anyways, plus it helps you to familiarize yourself with your car.
Good luck
Old 11-11-2004, 04:43 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by Superdave17
Just look up the required maintainence and do it yourself, timing belts are not hard to install on a subaru. Or at least get a friend to help who knows what he is doing. You will save so much.
Timing and drive belts are not changed at 60K unless they are damaged for some strange reason.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
and even if you do have to change timing belt and drive belt, they are not difficult at all, compare to my shty protege. damn, that thing is a btch to change. Oh, and the damn fuel filter is between the engine and firewall, unlike the suby which can be changed within 5 minutes. I miss my suby...
Old 11-13-2004, 09:13 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
do some yourself

Hey,

I have done some of the work myself and had them do some. I just tell them
I have done the oil and plugs already, how much to just do the rest. A bunch
of the inspection type stuff you can do yourself. Just give them instructions
on what to do and ask how much it will cost for just that. Often they will
try and add things on that you might not need/want.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:27 AM

Car Info: MY00RS25
If you drive a manual, tranny oil is easy.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:00 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza L 2.2
Timing belt shouldn't need to be changed until 105K, IIRC. The Subaru design makes it very nice to work on. I bought my car with 78K on it, so, I tuned it up in one weekend--did everthing. For $650 you can buy yourself some tools, gain some knowledge, and know that the job was done right, among saving a boat load of money. Good luck and don't be afraid to learn.

-Charles-