Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

which Subie to buy? (was: Help Me Out With Some Info Pls!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 09:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Choosing between a WRX and an STi is really a personal decision. Even if you aren't going to race it, you'll have to decide if the extra cost (initial cost, maintainence, insurance etc) is worth the extra 70hp. Being 19 in an STi might cost way too much in insurance, so you might want to get a quick quote before you get the STi.

The change in the body style is rumored to be '07 but there is nothing offical yet. The new body style isn't even confirmed in other markets yet. When it shows up in Japan, there it will usually be the next year that it'll show up in the US.

Also, there is really no indication that there will be major changes for the '06 model year. If you like the WRX or STi now, it will most likely be the same car next year. The changes won't happen till '07 (rumor) and it might only be exterior changes. The powerplant might even stay the same after the new body design.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:08 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by delifeath
I'm gettin ready to get in the market for a new car and I loved my uncle's WRX.
Can you tell us what you like about your uncle's WRX that makes you consider buying an Impreza?
Would it be worth it to me to get the STi?
That's a personal decision, just like any other vehicle. Most Impreza owners on this board had some knowledge about their cars before they bought them, either new or used. I read every car magazine I could find with articles on the WRX and it was tremendously helpful. Sure, there may be a certain amount of bias because of the paid advertisements but so is asking for opinions on an enthusiast message board. The last Car and Driver Magazine featured yet another road course shootout between the 2005 STi and the Mitsubishi Evo MR. My first source of information for a new car purchase would be print publications. Check out the web site of various magazines because older articles and reviews are sometimes archived for viewing (but not all).

And do also heed nKoan's suggestion of getting insurance quotes. Some younger STi owners, especially those with a poor driving history, can be paying a few thousand dollars per year for insurance as the registered owner of the vehicle.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 01-21-2005, 09:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I would get the WRX. You're young (I'm not being mean here) and most likely relatively inexperienced behind the wheel. The STi is a lot of car. It's powerful engine and incredible handling can give a person too much confidence behind the wheel, which could lead to a bad day and an unhappy STi owner. And trust me, the WRX is no slouch and is a blast to drive. When the urge for more power hits, it's pretty cheap to modify the WRX for some nice gains to satisfy the hunger

Past that, insurance will probably be nice and high for a 19 year old with an STi. I know for me, the difference in cost was about $1200/yr between my '03 WRX and an '04 STi, and I'm 23 with no points. So definitely get quotes ahead of time, and I recommend getting the VIN from an STi prior to calling for quotes. I've had multiple instances with my insurance company where the person on the phone got confused as to which model car I was referring. When I bought my '03 WRX, they quoted me on an RS and when I asked about an STi, they quoted me on a WRX. As a result, most companies will only gaurantee a quote if you can provide them with the VIN of the car in question.

Good luck with your purchase, and before you decide to buy, check out your regional forum to find out where other members purchased their car. You might find that a sales person is involved with that forum and you may get an i-club/suby hookup
Old 01-24-2005, 06:26 PM

Wrx

for all of the reasons above, plus the fact that the WRX is PLENTY fast, and a much better daily driving street car.