Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Should I buy an '05 STi? Need _serious_ help, informed owners please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 04:19 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
The STi is a better commute car than the Evo, unless you commute like you're late for your own wedding everyday. Neither will do very well on gas, but the STi has an edge in comfort in traffic.

Personally, if I had a commute that long, I'd have two cars. A "fun" car, and the "other" car, which would be a corolla or civic or focus or older Impreza L or something.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
^^^Word...no sense putting 36,000 miles a year on a STi...you'll never be able to sell it for what it's worth unless you decide on making it a full on project car and never selling it.

Get the STi but also buy a used Civic, Focus or Corrolla for the commutes. I had a Focus and it was very comfy for long drives...just no ballz.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:22 PM

Here's the thing about commuting- it erodes the value of ANY car you do it in, if it isn't already high milage. So losing an extra $2000 on a Civic isn't any better than losing $2000 on an STi over a couple years. I personally just wouldn't want the wear and tear on my "fun" car. (Besides, my "fun" car will be highly unsuitable for public roads soon anwyay. )
Old 01-13-2005, 05:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Version 7.5 2002 STi
An STI is a poor choice for a commute car. I drive 3 miles to work in it and I hate it. Hell I love my STI for the preformance and fun, but sitting in traffic and hitting stop lights is definitely not something I want to do in it. Even an automatic civic would be better for a commute, but that's just me.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Here's the thing about commuting- it erodes the value of ANY car you do it in, if it isn't already high milage. So losing an extra $2000 on a Civic isn't any better than losing $2000 on an STi over a couple years. I personally just wouldn't want the wear and tear on my "fun" car. (Besides, my "fun" car will be highly unsuitable for public roads soon anwyay. )
Perhaps a very used Corolla or Civic? Something like $2,000 and you wouldn't mind it losing value because after you're done you can just donate it and write it off your taxes?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:49 PM

A $2000 Corolla wouldn't depreciate much from commuting milage, lol. In fact, a $2000 corolla in the bay area probably doesn't even run. A $6-7k commuter car, with another 20k in miles added, probably wouldn't see a huge hit compared to a new car witht he same extra miles.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:04 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
an STi is a terrible car to use as a commuter car. my wife drives a wrx me the sti. actually both of them aren't necesarily commuter cars... for that go buy a cheap honda automatic. i love driving both cars- but the mileage toll is crazy- i have 47,000 miles on the wrx and 16,600 miles on the STi.

with that said... commuting in these cars definitely gives a new meaning to the word commute. you will find yourself gassing it once in while to reward yourself for sitting in traffic or that mundane drone of commuting. at least thats my take on things.

i don't recommend it, but i do it. so well..
and the 05's are much improved over 04 in terms of refinement.

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 01-14-2005, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by sykosis
An STI is a poor choice for a commute car. I drive 3 miles to work in it and I hate it. Hell I love my STI for the preformance and fun, but sitting in traffic and hitting stop lights is definitely not something I want to do in it. Even an automatic civic would be better for a commute, but that's just me.

seriously you need to man up. if its so bad why don't you ride a bicycle you lazy polluter. 3 miles pffffffffffffff.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:01 AM

Car Info: 1990 thing
What about a Legacy? They're a lot more comfortable, and if you're opposed to having two cars . . .
Old 01-17-2005, 09:30 AM

subie vs evo

I work for Subie now, and used to work for Mitsu, so I'm in a pretty good position to be able to offer advice on this one. If you're looking for a car that won't squeak and rattle, and you don't have a chiropractor on your permanent staff, and you drive 150 miles on cali freeways to work. An Evo makes about as much sense as commuting on a donkey (but if you can get a good deal, donkeys can be pretty friendly I hear, and they don't use much gas). I had a VR-4 for a few years, and while fast and awesome, it was about as comfortable long distance as a brick with wheels, and that with a computer adjustable suspension. EVO is worse. Plus, the maintence on those is prohibitive for those miles. You'll need new tires about 3-4 times per year.
That having been said, I've only gone more than 1 hour in an STi once, and while it wasn't nearly as bad as an EVO, it certainly wasn't a little slice of heaven. They're awesome cars, but like everyone else is saying, that's just not what they're meant for. And if you don't believe people about the resale, just search through the cars for sale forums here or on one of the mitsu forums, and see how much luck people have had selling those cars with 30+K miles.

I'm going to second the suggestion for a Legacy GT 5-speed for you. Quick enough, but designed for longer commutes. Alternatively, consider an A4, or even a G35.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:49 AM

Legacy GT 5MT!!! Then get a STI ECU, VF39, and your set!
Old 01-17-2005, 10:01 AM

Car Info: 05 SLK 350
I would agree with the Legacy GT suggestion. I spent 6 hrs. last night driving my 02 WRX, and while those seats are said to be more forgiving than the STi seats, by the end of the trip I was not in pain, but absolutly not comfortable.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:48 AM

no offense but...

micropro- no offense, but your comment makes a pretty good case against STi as a commuter. If you're going to "set the cruise control at 60-65", and you're considering swapping OUT the stock suspension for something SOFTER, explain to me why you need an STi for this.... With all due respect, "Oatmeal" hondas drive pretty nice with the cruise set on 65.... And if this is really how you drive on your commute (as do most of us, frankly), exactly how often have you "needed" the extra 50 HP over a legacy, vs the comfort features you sacrifice (moonroof, leather, heated seats, nice audio, not feeling like your teeth are rattling in your skull, etc...).
This, however, is just one man's humble opinion. I would never flame anyone for choosing an STi, (except maybe just a little since you have one and I don't... )

I still think you'd do best with a sports/luxury sedan, or with a 2 car combo.

Quick Reply: Should I buy an '05 STi? Need _serious_ help, informed owners please help!