Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Is it necessary to perform 15K, 30K, 60K, 90K service at the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 04:23 PM

Car Info: Legacy 2.5GT 5A
Is it necessary to perform 15K, 30K, 60K, 90K service at the dealer?

Greetings:

As mechanic dummy, do you think I need to perform 15k, 30k, 60k service at the dealer beside regular oil-filter change? Or I just wait until a problem appear before going to the dealer.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
You do not need to go to the dealer for anything, but that doesn't mean you do not need to service your car. Find an independent shop near you and have the work done there, or do it yourself (not that hard with some basic tools and a place to work), but don't neglect the proper maintenance.
Follow the service schedule specified by Subaru, especially the "major" services at 30K intervals. Failure to do so is false economy and could cause $$ headaches later on.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:39 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Keep receipts from independent garages for any maintenance performed. If you do the work yourself, I don't think it's necessary to save the receipts for every single item such as oil filters or spark plugs, but might be a good idea for larger items that you might replace later on such as the timing belt or wheel bearings. I keep a log for any maintenance I perform myself which I think might come in handy should a question arise out of a warranty claim.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 10-16-2005, 08:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by Mulder
You do not need to go to the dealer for anything, but that doesn't mean you do not need to service your car. Find an independent shop near you and have the work done there, or do it yourself (not that hard with some basic tools and a place to work), but don't neglect the proper maintenance.
Follow the service schedule specified by Subaru, especially the "major" services at 30K intervals. Failure to do so is false economy and could cause $$ headaches later on.
I have found that few independent shops want to deal with a boxer engine configuration and the finicky ECU of a Subaru. My wife's Legacy GL wagon is smoking, dripping oil and showing all the signs of a head gasket failure, yet the three shops I have taken it to so far have said "well, just degrease the engine, it isn't worth fixing" -- to me, that translates as, "we have no idea how to fix that, just get it out of here."

You're not trying to fix a head gasket, but still, if they don't know how to do that I don't want them doing a 30k service on my car either.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:09 PM

Car Info: 98 rs
Why not take it to a dealer for service? Unless they are terribley over priced ,you can save time by having any recalls or warranty work done at the same time. Plus they have techs that are always going in for new product training.They know what "patern" problems are out there. Working for a dealer myself (bet u couldnt tell) I see many cars with problems caused by other shops not being familiar with the Subaru. Give the dealer a "check out" before u blow them off.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:59 PM

Car Info: Legacy 2.5GT 5A
Thank you all for your advice and feedback.

I will perform 15K, 30K, 60K and 90K from a dealer nearby my workplace and let hope that they do a proper and decent job.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
If you go to a dealer, take the service schedule from the manual (or the Subaru site) with you, and insist that they do ONLY the services listed. Dealers are notorious for padding their profits by including unnecessary services such as engine flushes, fuel system cleaning etc. that are of little use but make them more $$.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
The only really great reason I can think of to go to the dealer is that the service is entered onto the national SOA intranet so you don't have to keep records that you did the service...that's about all I can think of because the dealer's prices are crazy expensive.