Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

n00b question: How are your windows in those frameless doors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 04:35 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Subaru doors will feel less "secure" than VW doors. I think its about the same if you look at asian compact cars though, they all have that same feeling. Its not like its rickety, but its not solid like German cars either. Had my WRX for 1 1/2 years and so far no problems with it. It still closed like when it was new.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 RS, Subrosa Letum
I have a MY01 RS. The windows seal perfectly but they do rattle when down. If the window is halfway down and you shut it, it bangs around ALOT. My driver side door window started to THUD on the bottom of the door when it was rolled(button pushed)down. I just lined the bottom of the door with egg-crates.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:16 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
It makes a nice glass-on-metal sound if you slam the door with the window half down. It scared the hell out of me the first time I heard it.

But completely up or down I've had no rattles. Closed I've had no leaks, and no strange air noises. I can't testify to the longevity of the weatherstripping but I treat it every time I wash the car just to make sure it won't rot.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:12 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
I found that the window regulator mounting scheme is a little weak and had to have that reinforced on my driver's door, but with that done it's every bit as solid as my BMW was- but I guess that had frameless doors too, so it doesn't really quite compare to the VW thing....
Old 10-17-2003, 06:16 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
Originally posted by psoper
I found that the window regulator mounting scheme is a little weak and had to have that reinforced on my driver's door, but with that done it's every bit as solid as my BMW was- but I guess that had frameless doors too, so it doesn't really quite compare to the VW thing....
How did you reinforce your "regulator mounting scheme"? Is that a professionally done modification?
Old 10-17-2003, 07:55 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX STi World Rally Blue with Silver BBS wheels WICKED!!
Thumbs down

No recalls on the Subies, but you can bet your bottom dollar that just about every VW ever made has had a recall on it. BTW, ever see the floorpan rust in most VW's from their leaky seals?
Old 10-18-2003, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
The trackless windows work fine, but just to be extra kind to them, DON'T close the doors without the windows being totally up, or all the way or close to totally down. If you do it partway up repeatedly, the tracks will eventually bend and the window will wobble.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:11 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon, wrb
my girlfriend has a 91 legacy wagon, with about 81,000 miles, and her weatherstriping is just starting to go. I have my 02 wrx wagon and have no problems, did one one slight problem with some moisture on the window, taking it in on tuesday to have that fixed, but other than that no problems.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by BAN SUVS
The trackless windows work fine, but just to be extra kind to them, DON'T close the doors without the windows being totally up, or all the way or close to totally down. If you do it partway up repeatedly, the tracks will eventually bend and the window will wobble.
damn never knew that; ive shut my doors with windows partly open; bad sound!
Old 10-18-2003, 06:57 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally posted by 04blkWRX
How did you reinforce your "regulator mounting scheme"? Is that a professionally done modification?
Actually it was a non-factory sanctioned, but dealer technician "professional" mod, I think he just went in with some big washers and slightly longer bolts, what he told me was the sheet metal they bolt it into is on the thin side and backing it up like this prevents things from working loose or tearing out.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:01 AM

Car Info: 00 Impreza 2.5RS
I have 96k on my 00RS and have had no problems what-so-ever with the frameless windows. They rattle a little if partially down, but I think that is expected with any car. No leaks, no noise.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:36 PM

Car Info: 04 Blue TS
Originally posted by BAN SUVS
I've owned a 83 Dodge Shelby Charger for over 10 years. They have frameless doors and I've never had any problems closing the doors with the window in any position. still has the original glass and seals!

Quick Reply: n00b question: How are your windows in those frameless doors?