Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

My first experience isn't a good one.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 03:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Re: My first experience isn't a good one.....

Originally posted by dfung
So soon after purchasing my '02 Wrx w/ 21K miles, i hear a strange "pinging" like noise coming from the engine compartment under relief of the gas pedal when doing moderate acceleration above 3K rpms........

Take it in for warranty work and Subaru tells me that the car was in a major accident that caused engine damage that would NOT be covered under warranty.

First off the owner told me of a "mild" accident and had everything restored. Didn't tell me of any frame or engine damage. CARFAX does not list ANYTHING about this accident. Clean record.

Subaru claims the accident caused this damage and will not consider this warranty work.

Why not? Not only do i feel cheated by the seller, but i feel cheated by Subaru. How is there proof that the engine work is even related to the accident? (then again i have no way of proving otherwise).

Just wanted some insight......<a very frustrated NEW subaru owner>

Unless they can PROVE it, the law is on your side.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:42 PM

Car Info: 04' wrx
What is actually wrong with the engine? Also, if the prev. owner paid for the repairs himself carfax probably won't have any info. Was the car an "as is" sale? If so you might be screwed. Should have taken it to a dealer (or qualifeid mechanic) before you bought it. the engine should still be under warranty. It just depends whats wrong with it. If there is a stake or something sticking out of a major part or the oil pan is crushed they may be right. Also see if you can talk to the previous owner and see if they have reciepts from the repairs to see who did them and what they did. good luck and sorry about the car.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:44 PM

Car Info: 04' wrx
you do not have to prove other wise. Call Subaru of america and tell them whats going on. I would let them ask about the accident. If all the damage was repaired, how did the dealer know? Must be something. Make them tell you.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:26 PM

How long has it been since you bought it from the former owner?

Maybe there's a law somewhere like a 'private sale lemon law'... but I doubt it.

Last edited by PJ2.5RS; 02-09-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:17 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB WRX
Id agree with calling Subaru direct and talking to them. If they absolutely say there is no way that they will warrenty then go talk to the previous owner. Tell him your situation and if the receipts say that the work done was suppose to fix it go to the shop who fixed it and tell them to fix what they did wrong. If all else fails sue the guy for the cost of a new engine and whatever labor. And if you have to buy a new engine the STI shortblock isnt too much. Good luck! -Todd-
Old 02-10-2004, 06:02 AM

Car Info: 2010 370z Roadster, 2008 Frontier CrewCab
Could you try taking the car to where you originally had it inspected (the non-Subaru place)? Do they have any kind of guarantee after they looked the car over?

Quick Reply: My first experience isn't a good one.....