Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

How to Smog/Sell 05 STi???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:53 PM

Car Info: 2005 OBP STi
How to Smog/Sell 05 STi???

So I have an 05 Sti that has stage 2: Vishnu tuned FP Green, APS turboback, PE injectors. I need to sell it unfortunately as I need the money. It is already paid for.

My question is in order for me to sell it I believe I have to get it smogged correct? And if I do indeed need to get it smogged, do I need to take it back to stock? or what?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:49 AM

Car Info: was a 02 wrx now a beast
do you have a catless or cated downpipe? if it is Catted you might be able to get away with it. I had an avo 400 turbo AVO turbo back(catted DP) and sti pinks all ran with a AVO interceptor system(old school piggyback) I passed with flying colors. just try and go to a very small town maby somewere that the local shop will just kinda over look your mods if you have a CAT then you sould be fine. if you are still worried then call Vishnu and see if it is cool to put your stock TB on just to get smoged (see if it will F wuth your tune) This is how I have passed smoge with a few cars.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:17 PM

Car Info: DGM 14 BRZ
Originally Posted by BlackTzak
So I have an 05 Sti that has stage 2: Vishnu tuned FP Green, APS turboback, PE injectors. I need to sell it unfortunately as I need the money. It is already paid for.

My question is in order for me to sell it I believe I have to get it smogged correct? And if I do indeed need to get it smogged, do I need to take it back to stock? or what?

only way is to return it to stock.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:42 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon
Your car is less than 4 years old so you dont need to smog it. The new buyer just pays a smog transfer fee. Check the DMV website : )
Old 09-28-2007, 03:57 PM

Car Info: 2005 OBP STi
hmmm, what if I fail?

If I fail smog am I then forced to go to stock? I'd like to just try and pass since I do have a cat.

I'm not sure if smog shops log you in if you fail.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:13 PM

the smog machine automatically records/transfers the info its out of our hands and contrary to popular belif pre-tests also transfer the same info for "statistics purposes",if you have a aftermarket down pipe regardless if its catted or not its a fail, aswell as any other cat modifications,your turbo is a fail if the tech notices etc. alot of shops will just shuffle you off to the ref instead of testing a car they suspect modded so you may just get the boot,if you go in and fail and do not get it corrected eventually your reg will be suspended.

this kind of stuff can carry over to the new owner aswell,them getting pulled over and cited for modifications,off to the ref,then back to stock, though not your responsability could lead to them causing you alot of headaches

the best way,as i stated before is return it to stock,for alot of reasons,unless you have a buyer hot for a modd'ed car,stock cars sell better,and you will get more of a $ return by parting off the mod's
Old 09-28-2007, 11:56 PM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
i just had to get this done.. your gonna need to put your stock DP back up, with your stock BOV, reflash it back to stage 1 and call it a day. i left my HKS exhaust on, and it passed with flying colors. now i dont know about the injectors and all, but i would research it.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:16 AM

Realy I am not talking out of my as I passed with a AVO turbo back and an avo 400 turbo. I would check out what that guy is saying about a DMV transfer on a car that is not older the 4 years. If that dose not work then do the pretest it will not redflag you as a gross poluter. If you need to barow a downpipe I have 2 oem DP's layin around. but as for a catted DP I know for a fact that the AVO one will pass and that was with a cobb uppipe on (catless). Changing the DP is very easy to do if you have a stock DP just change it. Like I said befor just try and go to a smog shop in a small town.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Evil Empire
Realy I am not talking out of my as I passed with a AVO turbo back and an avo 400 turbo. I would check out what that guy is saying about a DMV transfer on a car that is not older the 4 years. If that dose not work then do the pretest it will not redflag you as a gross poluter. If you need to barow a downpipe I have 2 oem DP's layin around. but as for a catted DP I know for a fact that the AVO one will pass and that was with a cobb uppipe on (catless). Changing the DP is very easy to do if you have a stock DP just change it. Like I said befor just try and go to a smog shop in a small town.

yes he does not have to smog it because of the age.it can be transfered,he's asking about smogging it anyways.

sorry there are NO aftermarket downpipes that are CARB legal for on-road use in california catted or not. whoever passed yours did so illegaly most likley because they were not paying attention.

regardless of a pre or std test unless there is somthing SERIOUSLY wrong with
his car it will not GP,on a subie he would have to have multiple misfires to reach GP standards

the only difference between a GP and a lower tier emmisions fail is that a vehicle is required to be repaired by a gold shield smog station,gold shield essentially means that they garuntee the repair work.

his particular subaru would most likley pass exhaust gas standards as most due but fail
as a tamper for the turbo,DP etc.

[ just had to get this done.. your gonna need to put your stock DP back up, with your stock BOV, reflash it back to stage 1 and call it a day. i left my HKS exhaust on, and it passed with flying colors. now i dont know about the injectors and all, but i would research it.

injectors IF a tech can see them are a fail.

<------ smog tech.

cheers
Old 09-29-2007, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
just take it to some gas station that does smogs too, and ask them how much to get a car smogged...if they're down, they'll let you know.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:48 PM

Car Info: 99 impreza 2.5rs
dont forget about modified. if a smog tech sees that it has been modded from facory and has an ichy finger he can put modified in on the visual, then you can go visit the referee. thats always fun
Old 09-29-2007, 11:35 PM

that is why I was saying to go to a small town. you can ask them if they can just pretend they did not see anything. They cant arest you for asking. but like I said if you go to a stock downpipe why would they think anything is wrong with your car. It is not like they put your car on a lift, pull off all the skid plates and tell you that you have a header and last time I checked catbacks are legal nomater what brand, because you are not loosing any cats. You guys need to take a chill pill and find a cool shop. Well I did not look it up yet but that guy seams prity sure that you dont have to smog it at all. so I would take his agvice and just sell it. Make sure you sell AS IS so you dont have to worry about anything comeing back on you and explain to them what they might have to deal with. If they are going to buy a moded sti I am sure they are going to be cool with it anyway.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 07 impreza 2.5i
just find a smog shop and see if you can pay em off

when i lived in cali [read: los angeles], i did that, my moded car passed with flying colors too!

granted it cost me $200 to pay off the smog shop, but they took care of me after that

last time i checked, you have to smog your car every other year! not every 4yrs.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by Vizzionz
just find a smog shop and see if you can pay em off

when i lived in cali [read: los angeles], i did that, my moded car passed with flying colors too!

granted it cost me $200 to pay off the smog shop, but they took care of me after that

last time i checked, you have to smog your car every other year! not every 4yrs.
It's four years from new, then every two years thereafter here in Cali.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:27 PM

hey if im buying an 06 thats modded it wont have to pass smog right?, EVIL EMPIRE-TRISTAN...........need another lip from you but this time for 06 sti. Def need it so please pm or give me a ring so we can get something setup. thanks man,

JM

Quick Reply: How to Smog/Sell 05 STi???