Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Buy a used STI or a new WRX TR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:59 PM

Question Buy a used STI or a new WRX TR?

Hello I-Club,

Well I'm going to buy an Impreza around May 2006 and I have two options I'm looking at.

1) Find a Used 2005 STI w/ 25-36k miles w/ few or no mods

(I know I can not afford a New 2006 STI.)

2) Buy a New 2006 WRX TR

Of course I'd rather get the STI but I'd like to hear all of your opinions on the subject also.

So what do you suggest I-Club? Any advice would be appricaited.

Thanks in advance. ^_^

PS: I tried doing a search on the forums with the keywords "used" and "STI", but the keyword "used" is too common so the search engine only looked up forum entires with the keyword "STI".
Old 12-28-2005, 01:03 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
What are you going to use the car for?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
The used STi will probably have hidden costs (might need clutch, brakes, ect) depending on how it was treated. If you can afford maintenece and insurance, STi is the no brainer choice for performance.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Egan
What are you going to use the car for?
Here's my thoughts on the STI and what I want to use it for.

I would be driving it to work (15m-20m, short commute) but I would definitely take that STI beast to the track off and on so I could feel the exhilaration of a REAL Sports Car!

I want that kinda feeling before I get too old to enjoy it. I'm 30 BTW. And a car is usually a 3-5 yr investment.

Regarding modding, I'd only use mods that increase performance but don't reduce the engine's lifespan. And I would stay CARB legal, I don't need a FULL track car.

The only negative, it would be used. And I wondered if buying a used STI would be a good idea.

With the WRX TR, I could still do that but without the STI's bonuses (Power, 6 Sp Tranny, Adj Differential, Suspension, etc...) or feel. But it would be new with no hidden surprises.

Last edited by Space Boy Matt; 12-28-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
The used STi will probably have hidden costs (might need clutch, brakes, ect) depending on how it was treated. If you can afford maintenece and insurance, STi is the no brainer choice for performance.
Paying for a new clutch, brake pads and rotoring wouldn't be too unexpected.

But at 25k-36k miles, would there be any other possible major problems I should be concerned about?

Last edited by Space Boy Matt; 12-28-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:07 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Couple of other factors to consider:

1. Insurance. Ask your insurance company what the rates would be for both. If both cars are close to the same price (hypothetical) insurance could be the difference.

2. Depreciation. I don't buy new cars, preferring to let someone else take the hit driving it off the lot gives you

3. D00d, it's an STi! I can't imagine pulling up to a light in a TR and not wishing I had the STi next to me. In fact I do it all the time (bugeye sedan).
Old 12-29-2005, 01:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
What kind of car are you driving right now?
Old 12-29-2005, 05:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
Ewww; used? Seriously though, a new TR will be better. No surprises and newest appearance, especially since STI owners pound on their cars and the car will likely be non-warranteed. Since you're asking such a question, it's obvious money is an issue, so stick to your budget and buy a car you can afford.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by newyorkreload
What kind of car are you driving right now?
I drive an Impreza RS right now. I looked into adding a turbo to my RS but it looked like way too much hassle.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:51 AM

Car Info: 2.5 RS '01 4D
What I like about my local subaru dealership (as much as you can like a dealership) they go through "x" amount of saftey points, and you can always take the STI to your own mechanic that you trust if it's not at a 'trusted' dealership.

While people do rail on STI's many people bought them and where like "holy crap, not dealing with this" and turned them right around for a less HP car....so if you're lucky you can find a very cared for STI.

What's the difference in payments? (If that's a factor for you...)

I don't recommend doing a turbo on an RS motor IMO personally...they're a high compression motor as it is, and adding a turbo is going to add way more strain and is going to kill your engine in way less time. (which is fine if you have an extra motor laying around or have cash to burn $$) I was looking into doing a turbo, but they are a hassle...oil lines, placement...etc etc etc. If you can use the 2,000+K for a down payment on an STI or the new WRX...it might work toward your advantage.

New cars are nice, but the minute you drive off the lot you probably already owe more than it's worth. At least maybe a used STI you might owe just about the same...there is of course, always gap insurance (in case your car gets totaled and the amount issued to you by the insurance doesn't cover what you owe on your car) and there are extended warranties you can buy for used vehicles depending on what dealership you buy them from.

My .02
Old 12-29-2005, 01:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Go with the new car. Unless you find an EXTREMELY well cared for USED STi.

If it was me buying an STi, I would personally want as close to zero miles on it as possible and definately nothing that had been a test drive car.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Skooby
What I like about my local subaru dealership (as much as you can like a dealership) they go through "x" amount of saftey points, and you can always take the STI to your own mechanic that you trust if it's not at a 'trusted' dealership.

While people do rail on STI's many people bought them and where like "holy crap, not dealing with this" and turned them right around for a less HP car....so if you're lucky you can find a very cared for STI.

What's the difference in payments? (If that's a factor for you...)

I don't recommend doing a turbo on an RS motor IMO personally...they're a high compression motor as it is, and adding a turbo is going to add way more strain and is going to kill your engine in way less time. (which is fine if you have an extra motor laying around or have cash to burn $$) I was looking into doing a turbo, but they are a hassle...oil lines, placement...etc etc etc. If you can use the 2,000+K for a down payment on an STI or the new WRX...it might work toward your advantage.

New cars are nice, but the minute you drive off the lot you probably already owe more than it's worth. At least maybe a used STI you might owe just about the same...there is of course, always gap insurance (in case your car gets totaled and the amount issued to you by the insurance doesn't cover what you owe on your car) and there are extended warranties you can buy for used vehicles depending on what dealership you buy them from.

My .02
Thanks for your input!

I agree with you on many of your points.

Luckily I am sort of close to Santa Cruz Subaru. They are, I think, a reliable dealership. So you are saying to get the Used STI inspected by a trusted party before purchase if possible. Oh yes.

I also have seen a few adds placed by owners in their 40s-50s that the STI was just too much for them and that's why they sell. That's the kind of seller I'll be focusing on.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly about trying to turbo and RS. It's not a very economic option.

About insurance there is always that catch if you total the car. I "think" some loan institutions allow you to buy a "safety clause" saying they will cover any difference that the insurance company won't. I know it exists cause I bought such a clause for my RS.

With extended warranties, I'll have to talk to SC Subaru about how friendly they are to certain mods so I don't end up buying the warranty for nothing.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Santa Cruz Subaru is really good when it comes to mods. I actually go out of my way to go to them vice Cypress Coast here in Monterey area.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:51 PM

Car Info: 2.5 RS '01 4D
I forgot to tell you to take your time. It took me 6 months to find my beloved 2.5 and I almost gave in into buying a new 'bug-eyed' WRX because I got frustrated. But, I'm happy I waited those 6 months because I was able to find a car that I really wanted and I'm proud and happy to have. (Don't get me wrong 'bug-eyed'wrx...I'm just a 2.5 lover)

True though, the longer you wait the more miles the STI will have...but don't end up getting a car you 'kinda' like over a car you 'really' like.

Good point about the warranty though, I hadn't thought about that!! Check into that ASAP, that might be the final decisive factor.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:56 PM

STi hands down.

some things to consider:

- the subaru warranty expires at 36k miles. so if you buy an unmodded used STi under 36k miles, u can take it to the dealership if something's wrong and it'll get fixed under warranty

- the STi tranny is WAY better than the WRX tranny. sti trannies can take abuse, where WRX trannies are known as 'glass trannies'

Quick Reply: Buy a used STI or a new WRX TR?