Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Attn 06 STi Owners, Watch for this!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 02:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
Originally Posted by UltimateLurker
Easy fix, just get a set of '05's and act none the wiser.
Interesting first, and only post.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:23 PM

Car Info: 03 blue Evo - sold, 97 Eclipse GST - sold
I would not purchase this car to drive like a grandma. I understand not launching left and right or even once in a while, but come on plastic??? This is the only thing holding me back from buying the STI. I want one, but I do not want to buy a car for 30k+ and have to worry about a warranty being voided when I would keep stock. I talked to a couple of Dealerships and they stated if I change out to 05 STi mounts they would void the warranty, plus I do not want to have to make that big of a change on a brand new car. Knowing my luck I would hit a pothole or drive around a corner hella hard that has pavement that is not even and the motor would shift and break the mounts(I have seen being a claims adjuster and that is on a normal car with non plastic mounts), or am I just being paranoid and it is not as bad as it seems????
Old 11-24-2005, 08:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
The warranty goes away pretty quickly. 30k miles is nothing. I upgraded to group-n mounts on my wagon the second week I after bought it. Granted it's an '05, but I was going to mod it any way. I'm will to take the blunt of repairs due to my negligence. That is why I research for the most reliable, fail-safe, parts and service to limit my chances of forking over the big bucks in the long run.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:21 PM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
I've heard that A few people have also broken their mounts by downshifting to fast...
Old 11-24-2005, 11:34 PM

Just by downshifting. That is ridiculous considering again you PAY 30k+ for the car!!!!

I had an EVO for 2 years and only had 24,000 miles on it and no prob. I launched
about 20 times and had no prob. I want to go a diff. route and see what else is out there. I love the way the STI looks plus I love the sound of it. It is a better buy, you get the halogen lights(only on MR), six disc(I know I would prob. go aftermarket but not for a while), and six speed. I am do not want to pay 35k+ for a MR when I have had friends complain about the shifting. I heard the STI's shifting is like butter.

If I purchase an STI, it would not be my daily car. One of the reasons why I chose the EVO over the STI in the first place was because I got such a killer deal on it. I totally want the STI now to see what it is like. Correct me if I am wrong but there is not much diff. from the 05 STi and the 06 STI except for the front and rear end, double wing(which I really like), distribution ratio(was 35:65, now 41:59), torque sensing mechanical limited-slip device instead of the hydraulically controlled unit, the open planetary center diff. now is controlled electromechanically, now you can place the diff. to 50/50, carbon reinforced synchronizers and the plastic brackets on the liquid filled motor mounts.

I have friends with both. They are both sick cars. It is a toss up depends on what you like and who you talk to. I have already gone Mitsu. and want to try Subaru. Please do not turn this into a Mitsu. v.s. Subaru. Both are sick cars and leave it at that. I am just wanting to know more info on the STI before I make my purchase. Thanks for all the help!!!

Last edited by stiormr; 11-25-2005 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:02 AM

Car Info: 2006 STi
Smile

I threw the question around about the STi and the EVO but my descission was pretty simple. I have followed the STi since the came out and have loved them. I can go on about my opinions but the fact of the matter is that, I will never own a mitsubishi. Their resale is horrible and they can be maintance nightmares. Like you said, they are both bad a$$ cars but for about $4k cheaper, you can get an STi; that is 4k in mods. Just my 2 cents.

And yes, this is my first post. I like to look at the forums and read a little before I make a newbie post.

Last edited by -m@-; 11-29-2005 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:50 PM

I thought Mitsu. had a crappy resale also. I purchased the 03 EVO 8 for $30k and sold for $21500 back to the dealer. I put $4k on the downpayment. I made about $2500 myself after I paid off the loan. I had a cracked windshield, front and rear bumper needed to be repainted and I needed front tires when I sold it back. I was talking to the owner of the Dealership that bought it and he sold the vehicle for $29k. Can you believe that!! I was amazed that there was $1k depreciation for 2 years. Not bad for any car especially a Mitsu. I would never purchase any other Mitsu. I am going to try to get an MR for invoice(yeah right), but I can get an 06 STI for $500 over invoice. But like I said and you said also, I can take the extra $4k and use on mods.

Only thing holding me back is time and the plastic motor mount brackets. Another thing that is in the way of me purchasing an 06 STI is that the Mitsu. Dealership that I might go through will let me mod my car and keep the whole 7 year extended warranty(from stereo **** to turbo) as long as I go through the aftermarket company WORKS. Anything in there catalog(aside from the racing products) including cams, intake, exhaust, O2 housing, downpipe 3", suspension and a couple of other things. Are there any Suby Dealerships that work with aftermarket companies?

As far as maintanence, I never had any prob. aside from going through tires and a change of brake pads. I never had a prob. with the tranny and clutch. Not like my 97 GST. Then again I only had 24k miles on the EVO, so who knows what would go wrong at 50k miles.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:22 AM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
Mitsu...is crap, they are well known for tranny issues...cant go wrong with a subie...
Old 11-30-2005, 06:52 PM

That is your opinion and I respect that. I agree that Mitsu's trannies are crap in the Eclipse, but as far as the EVO is concerned, I have not heard many complaints. Have you heard diff? Do you have any expericence with a Mitsu?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:13 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
This was discovered on a customers 06 STi this weekend. The engine shifted in the engine bay, the intercooler was scratched and hoses were ripped off. The new liquid filled STi mounts on 06's have plastic brackets. If you drive concervatively, they should be fine. If you have a tendancy to launch hard (dragging) you will probably break the stock mount.

-LIC Motorsports
geez.. You'd think that the liquid filled mounts would have enough "damping" to damp out the load path from the engine to those brackets. guess not.. I am also wondering if there was too much preload on the bolt... (ie was it over tightened?)

Dun think this would matter since we all mod our cars anyways with no reported problems at the mounts so far, but was the car stock? If it was stock, then it looks like those engineers didn't do their jobs... recall time...

Tim

Last edited by samurai; 12-01-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:15 AM

Car Info: 06 STI blue/gold traded for 07 STI blue/gold
my 06 sti was stock and i had the two motor mounts break and eventually the pitch mount break. the car only had 1800 miles on it. subaru replaced the three mounts but said it might not replace them if they break again... the said i was abusing the car. i hope they eventaully do a recall, i feel like i have to drive the car like an old grandmother now. it's no fun driving a car that you have to be delicate with because it's so fragile. when i had my 03 evo i drove it like i stole it and it never broke. just had numerous paint and carbon fiber issues.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:48 PM

Damn, I am sorry to hear that JuniorRSX. Did you launch hard alot or once in a while? I was told at the Dealership that I am inquiring about purchasing the 06 STI they would replace and would not void the warranty. But I do not believe them once I bring in for the 2nd time.

When I had my 03 EVO also, I launched about 15 times with 5+ rpm drops and I also drove it like I stole it and no prob. Did have paint issues also, if you spit on it, it would chip. hahaha. Damn, this is disappointing because I really wanted to get the STI, and now I will prob. just get another EVO. You do not buy $30k+ cars with 300hp and AWD to drive like a grandma. I am not saying that you abuse it either. I would want to keep stock for awhile until I paid off the vehicle. It wouldn't be my daily driver, but still.

How do you like the driving on it compared to the STI? I think the STI is a better deal, but I do not know now. I am in such a dilemma!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 09:55 PM

After reading this thread, a couple of questions arise:

1) Is it even certain that Subaru changed to plastic mounts in order to identify abuse and void warranty on cars with broken mounts?

2) Is it necessary to decide against the purchase of an STI just because of the mounts when they can easily and cheaply be replaced?

Thanks.

-
Old 12-05-2005, 02:41 AM

I am still wondering, questioning, and figuring out if that is the case in regards to abuse and voiding warranties. I am asking around to a couple of Dealerships and of course the salesmen do not know. I am trying to talk to there techs. I am still learning about this car. I love the way they sound, look, and want to try something diff. than the EVO. I am just trying to find out everything about the car before I buy. I want another turbo'd and AWD vehicle(do not have enough for a Skyline) and I think the EVO and STI are the best out there.

As far as necessary not to purchase, I am still debating. I do not want any hassels, especially on a $30k+ stock car! I did not have any hassels in my EVO. I know they can be changed out easily, and I know it will be better in the long run, but I am not out to start modding the car asap. I want to keep the warranty as long as I can. I will want to drive it hard(not abuse, there is a diff), and again do not want to worry about a Dealership voiding my warranty over a broken mount. Broken motor mounts are a big thing imo(not in the grand skeem of things) but on a brand new car? As far as cheaply, I do not know, like I said I am still new to this car and am trying to learn about it through the threads and friends that have them. I had broken motor mounts on my GST and I changed them out fairly easily. I know if I were to have had a shop do it, it would have been some cash. I am going to think about it for a while and see if there are any other people having the same prob. and see if there might be a recall. I appreciate all the info. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
having worked my share of time in a dealership service dept, I would have to say that it is HIGHLY unlikely that a car manufacturer would engineer a part intentionally weaker for the sole purpose of determining if a customer is abusing their car.

First of all, even if they did put weaker motor mount in intentionaly for this purpose, the fact ofthe matter is that if and when they break, most of them will be covered on the dealership level under warranty which in turn will be billed to SOA like in JuniorRSX's case. The fact is, cars like the STI and EVO are not money making car for Subaru and Mitsu in the US. I spoke for a while to a regional service manager for Mitsu that dealt with warranty claims for all the nor cal dealerships. He explained that Mitsu, as we all know, has had a hell of a time the last few years and only brought the EVO over becasue they had to do something to generate more interest, so that more or less forced Subarus hand to bring over the STI, since they never had plans to before then. But they just dont make any real profit on them for the price they have to sell them here to be able to compete in this segment, just look at how much they sell for in europe, around an extra 10K over what they have to sell them for here. They are basicaly 'halo' cars that they decided to sell in the US for little or no profit to try to generate interest, and a single warranty claim like this, legitimate or not, can easily wipe out the entire slim profit from that car for Subaru or Mitsu. So engineering a part to fail, just to 'maybe' indirectly indicate driver abuse would be just absurd, they already KNOW we abuse these cars and we already know they dont need to have broken motor mounts to try to deny warranty claims.

Second, theres alot easier ways for them to deny warranty claims then with a poorly engineered part. Just look at how Chevy did it with the C5 ZO6s by building a recorder into the ECU to show how many times it bounced off the rev limiter and top speeds and lateral G's etc. this would have been much cheaper and easier. I heard about the motor mount change a while ago, but it was about using liquid filled bushings, it seems the composit mounts are eaither cheaper/easier to make with he new style bushings. Yes, they suck, but the chances they were engineered specififcally with the intent to fail is just a little too far fetched

Last edited by Krinkov; 12-05-2005 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Attn 06 STi Owners, Watch for this!!!