Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

2002 wrx crusie control problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
2002 wrx crusie control problem

ok so i own a 2002 wrx and im trying everyway to get the cruise control to work. the recall for the car has been done but i don't know what maybe wrong with it. i press the switch of the cruise control and toggle the switch and nothing. guy i bought the car from said it had none. and i just found it came standard. any ideas? thanx!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:33 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
There are numerous possible causes of a cruise control failure, but the most common is a vacuum leak at the actuator, or possibly the hose coming entirely off.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:34 AM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
When you press the cruise control button to the lower left of the steering wheel does the "Cruise" light on the dash turn on? Not sure if the 2002 is the same as 2004.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Loves the Anime

yea it's lit up.. when i toggle it around it doens't hold the speed..but the aculator huh..where is that located? pics will be great.. thanx for your help...sorry for all these newbie questions haha..just recently stepped into the subbie territory thanx!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
There are two cables on the throttle body. One is for the gas pedal and goes through the firewall. The other is for the cruise and goes to the actuator. Just follow them and you'll find it.
There is no vacuum, it's an electrical servo.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Loves the Anime

ok so i found it..but i have no clue whats wrong with it..everythign seems plugged in on it...
Old 05-19-2007, 02:44 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx vf34 281hp/276tq
got a question along these lines guys, I have an 03 rex and recently my CEL pops when i put cruise on. i had the CEL checked and all it says is something along the lines of too lean. is this a common problem? anyone know what the deal might be. cruise works fine it just throws the light and its getting annoying. also is there a recall for the cruise? i saw a rumor posted up there. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:31 AM
Loves the Anime

there was a recall and i got the warrenty sheet from subaru..and it was perform..it was some kinda cruise control clip..nothing with the chip i thought.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:13 AM

Car Info: bugeye cobb stage 2
dude i got the same problem as u. one day my cruise control is working the next day it doesn't work at all. hope someone on i club know the problem
Old 05-19-2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by mistaanime
there was a recall and i got the warrenty sheet from subaru..and it was perform..it was some kinda cruise control clip..nothing with the chip i thought.
yeah it was just a clip to prevent the cable from coming off and making the gas pedal get stuck or something.

But yea I am also having the same problem as everyone else. One day it is working, then all of a sudden it stops and I can't figure out what's wrong. I guessing it's just something with the actuator, but who knows. I have an 02 wrx with the same symptoms as the original poster.

Last edited by blaznasn; 05-19-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:36 PM
VIP Member

Unfortunately there is no one universal answer for this. Someone has to look at the car to diagnose the problem.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Loves the Anime

hmm can you buy a new acutlator?
Old 05-19-2007, 05:33 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mistaanime
hmm can you buy a new acutlator?
Sure you can, but since it could be something else you'd want to be sure before spending your money. If you want to try this maybe get one from a junkyard rather than buying new, this is a part that should be ok from a wreck.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:31 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I know someone that tried to save money by diagnosing and replacing cruise control-related parts himself with either used or NOS (new old stock) parts purchased from eBay. The vehicle is a MY98 Forester. Though he proceeded in a logical manner with the service manual, he ended up replacing almost every part possible and never got the cruise control to function correctly.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Loves the Anime

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
I know someone that tried to save money by diagnosing and replacing cruise control-related parts himself with either used or NOS (new old stock) parts purchased from eBay. The vehicle is a MY98 Forester. Though he proceeded in a logical manner with the service manual, he ended up replacing almost every part possible and never got the cruise control to function correctly.
man..thats crazy heh..i dunno does this happen often to 02-03 wrx's ? or just me? i'll takes some pics..i found that there were 2 things that were disconnected..and i have no idea where they plug into. it mite have some affect..but i doubt subaru would have open connections that don't plug into anything on their cars..

Quick Reply: 2002 wrx crusie control problem