Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.
View Poll Results: Which car would you prefer after reading my post? (Will be winter driven!)
2005 Subaru WRX
88.24%
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

05 WRX vs 05 Mercedes C230 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 08:18 PM

05 WRX vs 05 Mercedes C230 Sport

Okay, I'm in a pickle. I've narrowed it down to two cars and I can't decide which one. I know they're in completely different classes, but they're the ones I want.

Now, forget the price for now, it's not a factor right now. Just think of the costing the same amount. I'd just like to get some opinions....

The only reason I'm iffy about the WRX is all the bad stuff I've been reading. Weak transmission, thin paint, crappy stereo, iffy interior, complaints about looks (not from me!), and a possible popo attractant, guy magnet, etc....

On the plus, as you all know, all-wheel, great handling, sportier car, turbo, etc...

As for the C230 Sport (I'd be getting manual tranny), the negative stuff...REAR WHEEL DRIVE! (I'm in Canada and snow is a factor...is Rear wheel THAT bad in the winter? I hear pros and cons about it, but I've never experienced first hand), it costs a lot to maintain and service!!!, the finance rate is ridiculously higher...other than that, can't think of anything else bad

Positive, it's a benz...luxurious, awesome interior, sweet exterior, SMOOTH ride, more leg room, supercharger (190hp&torque), chick magnet

So, flame me if you want, but I'd appreciate some opinions...those of you that have driven rear wheel in the winter, what were your experiences and how bad was it?

Cheers, thanks in advance...
Old 05-10-2005, 08:51 PM

Car Info: 05 sti
the one type of car i haven't owned is a RWD...so can't help you there. But as for the car, you seem to know the pros and cons for each. That's a good start. Now that you know pretty much each one clashes with the other, pick which one you'd rather have more of. You want a chick magnet? male? (don't think either is that different from the other), Are you planning on modding? If you aren't, there's no need to worry about weak tranny. Same with the cops. Stereo, you can change it youself.

It all comes down to either wrx = modding potential, or c-class = comfort.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:22 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Just wait for the 06's to drop. 2.5L and probably stronger tranny (they'd be stupid not to).
Old 05-11-2005, 04:54 AM

Car Info: 2006 Impreza 2.5i Wagon
One thing you forgot to mention about MB - quality and realibility. They're absolutely horrendous!! Read up some websites and reviews on Mercedes-Benz in recent times - they're really struggling to get the quality and reliability issues under control.

You'll be visiting the dealer a lot, if you go with the MB option.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:56 AM

Car Info: 2006 Impreza 2.5i Wagon
Oh.. as for RWD in winter: no worries as long as you learn to drive RWD properly.

Its really only an issue when stopping and accelerating from stop. Other than that, its pretty much like any other car. So during winter, just apply liberal amounts of common sense and safe driving habits and you'll be fine.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:51 AM

Car Info: 1990 thing
MB's also have traction control, which helps out a ton in winter, especially if you get good snows.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by jdepould
MB's also have traction control, which helps out a ton in winter, especially if you get good snows.

I was considering the same two cars and bought a WRX. The tipping factor for me was a study run by the german equivalent to AAA, where subie came in top-3 for customer satisfaction, engineering, and reliability while MB was bottom 3. I thought it was pretty compelling for a german organization to recommend a japanese car over a german car.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:45 AM

I probably won't be modding it much, if at all. I want my next car to last...
Stereo, I can upgrade, but I'll end up spending a lot like my last car...but I see your point

Originally Posted by ShiroStee
the one type of car i haven't owned is a RWD...so can't help you there. But as for the car, you seem to know the pros and cons for each. That's a good start. Now that you know pretty much each one clashes with the other, pick which one you'd rather have more of. You want a chick magnet? male? (don't think either is that different from the other), Are you planning on modding? If you aren't, there's no need to worry about weak tranny. Same with the cops. Stereo, you can change it youself.

It all comes down to either wrx = modding potential, or c-class = comfort.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:46 AM

That's what I was thinking too...but who knows when it will be out. I'm planning on buying either this year or early next year, so even a facelift would make me happy. 05 model is just fine by me though!

Originally Posted by jdepould
Just wait for the 06's to drop. 2.5L and probably stronger tranny (they'd be stupid not to).
Old 05-11-2005, 08:49 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Canada= AWD.. you will not blow a WRX tranny driving aggressively... you have to do clutch drops at high RPMs (that or have one that is defective from the get-go)
Old 05-11-2005, 08:49 AM

They had a major issue with the E series which I believe they are retifying...as for the C series, I haven't heard of anything major, just minors PIAs...

that's what I figured, there are so many RWD cars in the winter still, driving would be the same, but it's getting stuck that i'm worried about.. and even losing traction on a turn and spinning out.

Originally Posted by neptune
One thing you forgot to mention about MB - quality and realibility. They're absolutely horrendous!! Read up some websites and reviews on Mercedes-Benz in recent times - they're really struggling to get the quality and reliability issues under control.

You'll be visiting the dealer a lot, if you go with the MB option.

Originally Posted by neptune
Oh.. as for RWD in winter: no worries as long as you learn to drive RWD properly.

Its really only an issue when stopping and accelerating from stop. Other than that, its pretty much like any other car. So during winter, just apply liberal amounts of common sense and safe driving habits and you'll be fine.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:53 AM

good stuff, i wasn't the only one in this same "dilema"!

Originally Posted by Hurucan
I was considering the same two cars and bought a WRX. The tipping factor for me was a study run by the german equivalent to AAA, where subie came in top-3 for customer satisfaction, engineering, and reliability while MB was bottom 3. I thought it was pretty compelling for a german organization to recommend a japanese car over a german car.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
IMO, the transmission is fine. People think the transmission is weak because they don't understand the forces they place on it when the drop the clutch trying to beat that Honda Civic off the line. I have local friends who are putting down 240+whp and 220+wtq, race their cars at local road courses, and have never had any issues. One guy did mush third gear, though - after countless track days and over 200 dyno pulls with a ton of power.

As for the Benz, don't do it. It's not worth the money. You're going to spend more up front, more in interest, possibly more on maintenance, and the car sort of sucks, to be honest. My grandparents have one, and I've driven it a few times - the seats are uncomfortable, the gas and brake pedals feel like you're putting your foot in thick, slow mud and the car doesn't handle very well at all.

The WRX interior is fine - you'll mainly hear other people talking badly about the WRX interior when the interior of their own car is the only advantage over the WRX. The new interior on the '05s is very nice - looks really good, seats are comfortable, everything works. My '03 interior is pretty decent - not the best looking, but it functions, it doesn't hurt my back and nothing has broken or cracked in it yet after 40,000 miles and 2 years.

Go with the WRX - you won't be dissapointed. If the luxury thing becomes a real issue for you, check out the new Legacy 2.5GT. The interior is much upgraded from the WRX, and the car has more power out of the box than the '05 WRX.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:30 PM

another opinion

regarding the tranny- I'm not going to go into that much, since it's discussed heavily here, and in other threads, but properly driven unmodded WRX's rarely have tranny problems.

Many of the things you mention are easily fixable- e.g.: never buy a car because of the factory stereo. For $500, you can have a sound system installed (less if you DIY) that will be light years ahead of any factory system. Exterior looks? Who cares if other people don't like it? It's not their car, is it?

RWD can be done, I drove a RWD nissan truck around in Wisconsin in the winter for a while (RWD truck is even worse than car, since there's no weight in the back). Snow tires help, as does having a M/T. HOWEVER, you have to be constantly insanely alert, you're always worried, and while if you are a good driver, you are unlikely to get in an accident that's your fault, it really reduces your ability to avoid the other idiot that doesn't know how to drive. With my WRX, with snows on, you can drive anywhere, and you never worry, which is a plus.

Also, I'm really not sure about the whole C230 being more of a chick magnet thing, but maybe I'm wrong there. Besides, with a WRX, I can carry 3 chicks around in style and comfort (because lord knows, the biggest problem is just choosing which 3, right?....), whereas with a C230, the only chicks that will fit in the back seat are 7 years old or less.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:29 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
M's are junk. I would spring for the extra $$$ and opt for the STi or the EVO.

Quick Reply: 05 WRX vs 05 Mercedes C230 Sport