Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Your car before getting a subie???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 05:45 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX STi
Hell, I'll just go from the beginning.

1. 1984 Plymouth Colt (imported from Sh*tsubishi for Plymouth)

2. 1977 Pontiac Bonneville (301ci)

3. 1971 Chevrolet El Camino (402ci)

4. 1995 Chevrolet S10 (4cyl)

5. 1994 Chevrolet B4C Camaro

6. 2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T

7. 2005 Subaru WRX STi (and still own the Camaro)
Old 02-16-2006, 06:07 PM

Car Info: 2005 2.5i Impz wag
1. 1984 Honda Civic (Auto)
2. 1987 Honda Accord (Man)
3. 1990 Honda Accord (Auto)
4. 1993 Honda Accord (Auto)
5. 1999 Nissan Maxima (Auto)
6. 2005 Impreza 2.5i Wagon (Man)

Don't ask, my dad is a die hard Honda fan. Prior to Maxima, these all are hand-me-down!
Old 02-18-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by 25i2oo5
1. 1984 Honda Civic (Auto)
2. 1987 Honda Accord (Man)
3. 1990 Honda Accord (Auto)
4. 1993 Honda Accord (Auto)
5. 1999 Nissan Maxima (Auto)
6. 2005 Impreza 2.5i Wagon (Man)

Don't ask, my dad is a die hard Honda fan. Prior to Maxima, these all are hand-me-down!
You should've handed them back.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:14 PM

Car Info: 05' White RS
2003 Corolla S
1989 240sx hatch (nightmare)
2005 Subaru RS
Old 02-19-2006, 09:50 AM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
I cant remember if I replied to this yet or not, so sorry if this is a repost
98 firebird formula LS1 6 speed manual. The only car I have ever owned that I wish I still had.
purchesed for $10K very odd blue/green shifting color stock when I bought it.
1 of 32 cars with a hard top in that color.
Pics form the good times are on the attachments.
mac mid length headers
fast toys ram air kit (not the stupid hood the one that actully works)
texas speed proformance intake lid
light weight flywheel
upgraded clutch
short shifter
skip shift eliminator
Only had it 3 months, then as my friend was driving us home from the autoshow while I was drunk as h#ll in the passingers seat some lady tried to merge into us on the freeway.
insurance company payed us $15K for it because it was rare but it still ended looking like this.

I died a little inside
Attached Thumbnails Your car before getting a subie???-me-.jpg   Your car before getting a subie???-ls1.jpg  
Old 02-19-2006, 10:44 AM

That sucks, dude. I dunno what's worse....when you sell the one you wish you still had, or when you wreck it. For me, my '71 El Camino is "the one that got away."
Old 02-19-2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by '05 STi
That sucks, dude. I dunno what's worse....when you sell the one you wish you still had, or when you wreck it. For me, my '71 El Camino is "the one that got away."
for guys that butt heads on a regular basis we sure do think alike.
I had an 80 elcameno that my dad had for ever and a day that he gave me when I was 13 to 'play' with. I later slapped an LS1 and a 6 speed in it, which gave me the craving to buy the firebird in the first place..
I ended up selling it so that I could go on and do another crazy swap project.. at that time I was trying to learn as much as I could by doing it! Id like that car back for the pure history in it and because theres stuff that I know now that I would have liked to do to it (like body work and fixing rust!) but dont think Id want another '80, the late 60's/early 70's are where its at, big block style!! Like oh, say, the one they are putting into the saburben or the 6.0l they have in the silverado's
Old 02-19-2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by cudaeh
for guys that butt heads on a regular basis we sure do think alike.
I had an 80 elcameno that my dad had for ever and a day that he gave me when I was 13 to 'play' with. I later slapped an LS1 and a 6 speed in it, which gave me the craving to buy the firebird in the first place..
I ended up selling it so that I could go on and do another crazy swap project.. at that time I was trying to learn as much as I could by doing it! Id like that car back for the pure history in it and because theres stuff that I know now that I would have liked to do to it (like body work and fixing rust!) but dont think Id want another '80, the late 60's/early 70's are where its at, big block style!! Like oh, say, the one they are putting into the saburben or the 6.0l they have in the silverado's
Currently I own a B4C Camaro also (1 of 668 made) and it almost met an untimely death exactly a week before Xmas when it just slid right off the road and did a 3/4 spin into a ditch. I was ok, but the car, to say the least, got its share of bruises.

Right after it happened I was in shock. I just sat there, sort of in a haze like "what the f*ck just happened?" I climbed out of the car dreading what I would see.

To my surprise, the car wasn't in that bad of shape. The exhaust and tips were smashed up, the front clip was seriously cracked (but bounced back into shape), the fog lights and assemblies were smashed, the hood has a slight "buckle" to it, and a fender was shifted about an inch backwards (the door now rubs when opened), and that same fender has a crack in it which is about .5 inch large.

I haven't had the chance to get the damage evaluated yet, but considering I have a $1000 deductible on it, I'm in no hurry. However, with a tax check coming back soon, I will be taking the car in to get evaluated this week (hopefully). The car is still driveable. In fact, I drove it home after the tow truck pulled it out of the ditch. The alignment wasn't even thrown off!

I was concerned that the frame suffered structural damage but the tow truck guy mentioned that he's pulled Camaros out of much worse situations, and since it's a unibody, if the frame were damaged, there would be a slight buckle in the roof and the doors wouldn't open. I later found this to be true.

So, my bruised and beaten Camaro is driveable, but I do get some knocking sounds which are probably being caused by the exhaust, and I get some strange "vibrations" and "sounds" in the cabin. I'm thinking it's probably still due to the frequency of the damaged exhaust.

Well, I dread getting it looked at and finding that something is seriously wrong with it, but I'm going to have to do it some time. With 169,200 miles on it and nearly 9.5 years of ownership, I'm really hoping that all of this is minor. I don't care how much the repairs cost as long as the car doesn't have structural damage. This car has more sentimental value to me than I can even begin to explain. I love this car......
Old 02-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by '05 STi
Currently I own a B4C Camaro also (1 of 668 made) and it almost met an untimely death exactly a week before Xmas when it just slid right off the road and did a 3/4 spin into a ditch. I was ok, but the car, to say the least, got its share of bruises.

Right after it happened I was in shock. I just sat there, sort of in a haze like "what the f*ck just happened?" I climbed out of the car dreading what I would see.

To my surprise, the car wasn't in that bad of shape. The exhaust and tips were smashed up, the front clip was seriously cracked (but bounced back into shape), the fog lights and assemblies were smashed, the hood has a slight "buckle" to it, and a fender was shifted about an inch backwards (the door now rubs when opened), and that same fender has a crack in it which is about .5 inch large.

I haven't had the chance to get the damage evaluated yet, but considering I have a $1000 deductible on it, I'm in no hurry. However, with a tax check coming back soon, I will be taking the car in to get evaluated this week (hopefully). The car is still driveable. In fact, I drove it home after the tow truck pulled it out of the ditch. The alignment wasn't even thrown off!

I was concerned that the frame suffered structural damage but the tow truck guy mentioned that he's pulled Camaros out of much worse situations, and since it's a unibody, if the frame were damaged, there would be a slight buckle in the roof and the doors wouldn't open. I later found this to be true.

So, my bruised and beaten Camaro is driveable, but I do get some knocking sounds which are probably being caused by the exhaust, and I get some strange "vibrations" and "sounds" in the cabin. I'm thinking it's probably still due to the frequency of the damaged exhaust.

Well, I dread getting it looked at and finding that something is seriously wrong with it, but I'm going to have to do it some time. With 169,200 miles on it and nearly 9.5 years of ownership, I'm really hoping that all of this is minor. I don't care how much the repairs cost as long as the car doesn't have structural damage. This car has more sentimental value to me than I can even begin to explain. I love this car......
thats a tough one. I thought they said to me that they will repair a car if the damage is under 20% of the cars value.... I think thats what they said....
I know re-body jobs are looked down appon but I think in your case if you love the car that much and are willing to go thru the work its justified, thats if they want to total it. On those cars lots of people buy em with ratty intirrors and faded paint jobs and part out the drive trains, so finding a good shell might not be that tough... good luck man.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by cudaeh
thats a tough one. I thought they said to me that they will repair a car if the damage is under 20% of the cars value.... I think thats what they said....
I know re-body jobs are looked down appon but I think in your case if you love the car that much and are willing to go thru the work its justified, thats if they want to total it. On those cars lots of people buy em with ratty intirrors and faded paint jobs and part out the drive trains, so finding a good shell might not be that tough... good luck man.
The damage really isn't bad to mine. It sounds A LOT worse than what it actually is. From a side view you can't even tell the car was in an "accident."
Old 08-05-2006, 03:35 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
1989 Supra Turbo At Targa. Hks Intake & Exhaust. Pretty Fast.
Got It On My Seventeenth Birthday And Made Every Payment Myself(1997).
Fast Car. Surprised A Lot Of Mustangs And Old School Muscle.
Electronically Limited To 143 Mph. Nice Car
Old 08-05-2006, 03:41 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
NOW - 05 STi. ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT I GET JOCKED ON MORE BY GUYS THAN GIRLS.
ITS A BADASS CAR
Old 08-05-2006, 09:58 PM

Car Info: '11 STi 4dr
had a turbocharged 98 cavalier. FMIC, full suspension... and grey bumpers... a sleeper.
Still have my daily riden and tracked out SV650
and now an 06 WRX
Old 08-05-2006, 10:14 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
My 2002 WRX is my first car, still paying $400 a month for it too (but I have less than 2 years left!!!).
Old 08-05-2006, 10:44 PM

Car Info: 01 impreza 2.5rs
i had an '84 buick regal.

Quick Reply: Your car before getting a subie???