Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

wrx tuned 2 stock sti level...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 07:18 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx
wrx tuned 2 stock sti level...

I need feedback on what I need 2 tune my wrx 2 the level of a stock sti...
Old 02-20-2006, 02:54 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX STi
Just get yourself some HKS stickers, a TEIN sticker, and NOS! :rotfl:

Ok, seriously.....

You'll need a turbo back exhaust with an up/downpipes, engine management, intake, and possibly a turbo upgrade.

Not to mention, you'll need bigger brakes, steeper transmission gears, upgraded suspension, and stiffer chassis.

Hey, you wanted to get the same all-round performance, right?

My suggestion is to just get an STi if you don't already have a WRX because by the time you spend all the money to make a WRX as fast as a stock STi you could've had an STi and possibly an upgraded STi instead.

Last edited by '05 STi; 02-20-2006 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:44 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Even with a turbo upgrade and supporting mods, an '04 WRX won't have the same throttle response in the lower and mid-range because the STi has the 2.5 motor and AVCS. Obtaining the same or higher peak horsepower as a stock STi isn't a tough assignment as long as you've got the money.

Some have gone the STi 2.5 swap route but if you bought your car new and haven't paid it off yet, it starts to get to the point where you might be happier just trading it in and getting all of the good stuff on a new '06 WRX or STi.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-20-2006, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
Even with a turbo upgrade and supporting mods, an '04 WRX won't have the same throttle response in the lower and mid-range because the STi has the 2.5 motor and AVCS. Obtaining the same or higher peak horsepower as a stock STi isn't a tough assignment as long as you've got the money.

Some have gone the STi 2.5 swap route but if you bought your car new and haven't paid it off yet, it starts to get to the point where you might be happier just trading it in and getting all of the good stuff on a new '06 WRX or STi.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Good point.

While you may not have the throttle response of a stock STi, with those types of mods, but you will surely run one down on the highway.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:48 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX WRB
or you can get an evo...=)
Old 02-22-2006, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by KronikInsomniaK
or you can get an evo...=)
I'd rather have a $22,000 WRX that's slower than an Evo because the WRX won't be up on a lift at the dealership every 4 days.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:59 PM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
Talking

Originally Posted by '05 STi
I'd rather have a $22,000 WRX that's slower than an Evo because the WRX won't be up on a lift at the dealership every 4 days.
LOL
Old 02-22-2006, 06:05 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru
For the amount of money your going to spend. . . Get an STI.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:17 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
I really love my 06 WRX. I would just tune a car to what you feel comfortable with, not what makes you as fast as someone/something.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:19 PM

For me, the only reason I went with the WRX was insurance Just about 40% more on the insurance for me on an STi vs the WRX. However, if you don't have a ticket on your record and you can afford the insurance, by all means get the STi.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Weak Sauce
For me, the only reason I went with the WRX was insurance Just about 40% more on the insurance for me on an STi vs the WRX. However, if you don't have a ticket on your record and you can afford the insurance, by all means get the STi.
The WRX has a lot of advantages over the STi, believe it or not. Not only is it more comfortable as a daily driver, but the gas mileage is better, costs for replacement parts are probably cheaper (tires, brakes/rotors, etc.), insurance is cheaper, and the purchase price is cheaper.

If you don't have to have the absolute top performer, the WRX is an excellent alternative. With a lot of cars, if you get a model that is "under" the top model, usually it will suck. With the Impreza, you're still getting a very capable performer. Hell, even the 2.5RS/2.5i are reasonably good performers.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:48 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Wink

Originally Posted by '05 STi
We sell both EVO's and STI's at our dealership... and I 'sell' the service line all the time. Therfore I am VERY aware of what cars are breaking and having troubles ~ plus one of the mechanics is a bud and does all my mod labor. I have not seen an EVO on a rack (other then for oil changes). I do see a bunch of hammered WRX's breaking. BTW - very few issues with STI's as well.

It's the WRX guy who drives his car into the ground trying to make it STI quick. It can be done. BIG $$$ ~ evrything needs to be upgraded (as stated above) along with the engine mods ~ or you WILL be on the rack every 4 days!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by NW OBS
We sell both EVO's and STI's at our dealership... and I 'sell' the service line all the time. Therfore I am VERY aware of what cars are breaking and having troubles ~ plus one of the mechanics is a bud and does all my mod labor. I have not seen an EVO on a rack (other then for oil changes). I do see a bunch of hammered WRX's breaking. BTW - very few issues with STI's as well.

It's the WRX guy who drives his car into the ground trying to make it STI quick. It can be done. BIG $$$ ~ evrything needs to be upgraded (as stated above) along with the engine mods ~ or you WILL be on the rack every 4 days!
That's probably because there's a backorder on Evo parts.

The people breaking WRXs are the ones launching them at 5000+ rpms. They're also the same people crying that Subaru won't cover their busted transmissions. I don't personally know ANYONE that has had issues with their stock WRX transmissions, but then again, these people don't launch their cars at 5000+ rpms either. If you have to launch a car at that high of an rpm to beat someone, you don't need to be racing.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
I have an 02 WRX tuned to 220 WHP, which is the factory-stock WHP of the 03 and 04 STI models (as measured on the exact same dyno in the exact same shop). My mods are as follows:

Samco intercooler pipes
APS turbine inlet
APS 3" Turbo Back
ECUTek reflash
NGK Copper plugs
AIRAID high-flow air filter

On the suspension side I have Whiteline Ground Control Springs, front and rear strut bars, rear sway bar and steering rack bushings. I've also got 17-inch wheels and Z-rated tires. Everything else is stock: stock turbo, stock injectors, stock clutch, stock transmission. The car is a 100% reliable daily driver, has no CELs, gets 22-24 MPG. The stock clutch holds up perfectly with the extra horsepower and feels nice and crisp with 50k miles on it. I run a 4.9 0-60 time (as measured by a G-tech meter) and a 13.9 second 1/4 mile, same as a stock STI of that era.

The idea that a WRX tuned to STI levels would be a disaster up on the lift every four days or would cost more than a stock STI is ignorance. The shop I worked with builds 400hp WRXs all the time, and the final bill after buying the WRX and upgrading it is still less than an STI list price. My total bill for all the mods above, since I have done much of the work myself, is still nowhere near the cost of a new STI (or the cost of the 03 and 04 models new).

Certainly a good STI driver would be able to outhandle me by a tenth of a second or so, and has me beat in low-end torque, but the reason to buy an STI is to START at 300HP and move up. If you don't need to move beyond 300HP, a modded WRX is a perfect alternative. Not to mention it is much cheaper to insure (my insurance rates it as a 4-door sedan, no "sports car" designation) and not on the radar of police or Mustang drivers. In all honesty, most people don't drive hard enough or well enough to make the differences between the WRX and STI frame and suspension really count. If the car is not being raced, it is unlikely you'd run up against the limitations of the WRX in an ordinary street environment.

Last edited by meilers; 02-24-2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by meilers
I have an 02 WRX tuned to 220 WHP, which is the factory-stock WHP of the 03 and 04 STI models (as measured on the exact same dyno in the exact same shop). My mods are as follows:

Samco intercooler pipes
APS turbine inlet
APS 3" Turbo Back
ECUTek reflash
NGK Copper plugs
AIRAID high-flow air filter

On the suspension side I have Whiteline Ground Control Springs, front and rear strut bars, rear sway bar and steering rack bushings. I've also got 17-inch wheels and Z-rated tires. Everything else is stock: stock turbo, stock injectors, stock clutch, stock transmission. The car is a 100% reliable daily driver, has no CELs, gets 22-24 MPG. The stock clutch holds up perfectly with the extra horsepower and feels nice and crisp with 50k miles on it. I run a 4.9 0-60 time (as measured by a G-tech meter) and a 13.9 second 1/4 mile, same as a stock STI of that era.

The idea that a WRX tuned to STI levels would be a disaster up on the lift every four days or would cost more than a stock STI is ignorance. The shop I worked with builds 400hp WRXs all the time, and the final bill after buying the WRX and upgrading it is still less than an STI list price. My total bill for all the mods above, since I have done much of the work myself, is still nowhere near the cost of a new STI (or the cost of the 03 and 04 models new).

Certainly a good STI driver would be able to outhandle me by a tenth of a second or so, and has me beat in low-end torque, but the reason to buy an STI is to START at 300HP and move up. If you don't need to move beyond 300HP, a modded WRX is a perfect alternative. Not to mention it is much cheaper to insure (my insurance rates it as a 4-door sedan, no "sports car" designation) and not on the radar of police or Mustang drivers. In all honesty, most people don't drive hard enough or well enough to make the differences between the WRX and STI frame and suspension really count. If the car is not being raced, it is unlikely you'd run up against the limitations of the WRX in an ordinary street environment.
How is it ignorance? Here's what you STILL don't have:

1. 2.5L motor
2. Brembo braking system
3. 6-speed transmission
4. Wheel/tire combo
5. DCCD
6. Large TMIC
7. Stiffer Chassis bracing

Ok, the WRX can be made to handle/perform as well as an STi, and I'll give you that. Now, add up everything that I've just listed, and I'll guarantee you that parts ALONE are going to run just as much as the cost difference between an STi, or more.

For argument's sake, let's say that people don't drive the cars hard enough to warrant the difference. Since that's going to be the case, let's just throw into the equation that with the STi you will get a warranty. Meanwhile, you're spending all that money just to perform on an equal level of playing field with a STOCK car. You also mentioned that an STi would STILL out-handle you.

I will give you this: The WRX is easier on the insurance, for sure.

But, I won't give you this: I don't have problems with Mustangs harassing me; only ricers.

Quick Reply: wrx tuned 2 stock sti level...