Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

What causes "bogging", how to not bog?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 11:16 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
What causes "bogging", how to not bog?!

Yeah, I'm just wondering, cause I suck at driving:

How to not bog?

Thanks a bunch guys,
Ambert
Old 07-06-2003, 12:08 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan
If you're talking about preventing bogging when you're launching (say if you decide to race from a standstill):

I personally would slip the clutch at about 4000 RPM to launch. Haven't had much experience launching with the WRX since my break-in period isn't over yet. However, I've launched it gently just to get an idea of how the car feels, and 4000 RPM feels good if you slip the clutch a bit (no bog at all). I wouldn't launch the car any higher than that, IMO. I'm sure many people do though. I used to launch my old SE-R at 4500-5000 RPM occasionally.

Edit: I just realized I wrote everything above simply based on the assumption you own a WRX. If you don't, I'm sorry about posting this.

Last edited by Chris04WRX; 07-06-2003 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:07 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
ah thanks!

Yup, I bought my white '03 a few days ago

Slipping the clutch is suddenly letting it out, right?

And I meant bogging as just in normal driving. Sometimes when I slowly let out the clutch at a stopsign/light it bogs and it's wierd and embarrising

what causes this "phenomenon?"
Old 07-06-2003, 01:27 PM

No problem. Suddenly letting out the clutch isn't the same as slipping it though. I honestly have a hard time putting how to slip the clutch into words. I'm sure someone else could provide a description on how to slip the clutch. For normal driving, you are definitely not going to want to launch at 4000 RPM. Try taking off like you have previously been doing, except now try and give the car a little bit more gas as you are disengaging the clutch. I'll ususally rev it to about 2500-3000 when I'm taking off normally. I have bogged my car a few times when starting off in 1st. It is just related to adjusting to how the new car drives. You will get used to it.

Originally posted by verc
ah thanks!

Yup, I bought my white '03 a few days ago

Slipping the clutch is suddenly letting it out, right?

And I meant bogging as just in normal driving. Sometimes when I slowly let out the clutch at a stopsign/light it bogs and it's wierd and embarrising

what causes this "phenomenon?"

Last edited by Chris04WRX; 07-06-2003 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:31 PM

He meant preventing bogging out in terms of normal driving, not launching the car in an aggressive fashion. I had misunderstood his post at first.

Originally posted by RacerZ22
You just bought it a few days ago and your worried about launching? just learn how to drive it and let it break in first, befor you try to do better lauches
Old 07-06-2003, 06:32 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

I have a question sort of on this topic... When you are on a hill and completely stopped, how do you NOT coast back? I continue to try and pretent that there is a car behind me and usually what happens is I add too much gas and stall. The reason I need/want to perfect this is there a lot of people out there that get on your *** especsially on a hill when traffic is stopped, so when this happens to me I start to get nervous and I don't want to coast back and bumb them.. that would be horrible.

Any suggestions on how to perfect this so it's just like an automatic and being able to go without coasting?

Thanks, :-)
-Nigel
Old 07-06-2003, 07:02 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

From my understanding of how an e-brake works is it locks your back tires. By doing this will it mess up my ebrake or anything else on the car? This actually sounds like an excellent idea! I thank you for it. I'm actually going to try it now.

-Nigel
Old 07-06-2003, 09:45 PM

I used the trial by fire method of learning how to drive a stick. I lived in Hawaii and my apt. was on the side of a mountain. I must of stall that sucker (an old Celica) a half dozen times before I got it home. If you can find a road or parking lot thats not too traveled and with a slight grade, you can practice balancing the gas and clutch to hold the car still without rolling backwards. As you get the hang of it try places with more grade. Don't do it for too long as you can burn your clutch. Eventually it becomes second nature. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:04 AM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
the key is this. finese is the key to driving smooth and launching smooth with no bog and still launch with max torque. also the key is riding the clutch for awhile until you are totally in gear. but make sure u dont ride the clutch to a negative that it burns out.

Finese, slowly.. very slowly i mean ver very slowly letting go of clutch to find its point.

remember, finese and timing that is the key to driving stick perfectly. finese and timing, remmeber.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:40 PM

Car Info: 03' WRB
no bog = tap the throttle right b4 u let out the clutch then give it gas while letting out the clutch. no bog no problems...

<)><
Old 07-08-2003, 12:38 AM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Originally posted by NewShockerGuy
From my understanding of how an e-brake works is it locks your back tires. By doing this will it mess up my ebrake or anything else on the car? This actually sounds like an excellent idea! I thank you for it. I'm actually going to try it now.

-Nigel
I don't currently own a stick shift car, but when I learned how to drive my 4-speed '90 VW fox, I relied on the e-brake method whenever I was on an incline. Once you get used to driving though, you should get a feel for the clutch to the point where you dont roll back at all.

-- and as far as I know, this does not damage the e-brake.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:25 AM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
My biggest fear of driving on hills with manual was rolling back. I love everything else about stick. What I did was found a street with an incline and had no traffic (was actually at a park). I had my gf in the car. I would make way up the base of the hill a little ways and come to a dead stop. She would say "go" or "green light" and like that I would try to accelerate up hill without rolling back at all. I would go up a few car lengths, stop and repeat. It sounds incredibly cheesy but it worked for me, after about 10 to 15 minutes My confidence had drastically improved as my errors quickly went away

Quick Reply: What causes "bogging", how to not bog?!