Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

What are the benifits of wheel spacers???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 PM

What are the benifits of wheel spacers???

Hi guys! Was thinking about getting some wheel spacers probably to push the wheels out around 3mm to give it that aggressive look.

Also does it really bring ANY performance advantages to the table for a 2005 wrx sedan???

Thanks guys!! :-D
Old 03-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
3mm won't do anything visible. Wheel spacers are not for aesthetics.

There are no benefit to anything larger than 5mm unless you road race. However at that size there are no real visible changes. Anything larger and you're actually hurting performance.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:10 AM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
5mm will make a slight difference visually and I believe it is the largest size you can run on stock studs. They are usually used to make wheels clear brake calipers or struts.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
3mm won't do anything visible. Wheel spacers are not for aesthetics.

There are no benefit to anything larger than 5mm unless you road race. However at that size there are no real visible changes. Anything larger and you're actually hurting performance.
Sorry I did mean to say 30mm I was thinking about going so that my wheels are 10mm past my guards as I recently installed coilovers and it looks silly with the wheels in like that lol
Old 03-18-2013, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by iDriveMyi
5mm will make a slight difference visually and I believe it is the largest size you can run on stock studs. They are usually used to make wheels clear brake calipers or struts.
Oh ok cool! I was thinking about getting the bolt on ones with the studs already on there and you just bolt it to your hub.

I'm hoping that it won't be too noticeable with handling if I go 30mm out??
Old 03-18-2013, 04:53 AM
Technical Know-It-All

30mm is massive and will destroy your steering feel.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
30mm is massive and will destroy your steering feel.
Oh really? I guess it won't be as sharp or responsive hey? And I guess all I can do to bring out my wheels is getter wider tires hey?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by ladeyboy
Oh really? I guess it won't be as sharp or responsive hey? And I guess all I can do to bring out my wheels is getter wider tires hey?
NO. buy bigger wheels! idk why you would ruin your car and its handling. Brfatak is right. there is a point where spacers do more harm than good if any. not to men tion how often you will need to replace wheel bearings. just ditch the spacers and get bigger wheels. just a bad idea. i run 5mm spacers to clear my 4/2 pots. but thats only on my snow set? Bigger wheels is your true solution....hey?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by 02RS25

NO. buy bigger wheels! idk why you would ruin your car and its handling. Brfatak is right. there is a point where spacers do more harm than good if any. not to men tion how often you will need to replace wheel bearings. just ditch the spacers and get bigger wheels. just a bad idea. i run 5mm spacers to clear my 4/2 pots. but thats only on my snow set? Bigger wheels is your true solution....hey?
Ha yeah I guess in the end it only really ads looks to your car. I think it looks nice flush with the guards but your right it so wouldn't be worth throwing away near $2500 I just spent on coilovers n sway bars and strut braces!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM

Also wider tires would be good! More money! But would be good! I already have 18's all round but I could go a wider 18 hey?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by ladeyboy
Ha yeah I guess in the end it only really ads looks to your car. I think it looks nice flush with the guards but your right it so wouldn't be worth throwing away near $2500 I just spent on coilovers n sway bars and strut braces!
+1

if youre putting that amount into your car into suspension/handling, keep up the good work and go with a set of new wheels. and IMO, you can get and even more aggressive look with bigger wheels (width, stance, concave, etc.) im selling my black 18x9.5 et 38 5x100 56.1 ROta Grids for 750 OBO if interested. but ya, not worth putting that much into everything else, then have a weakest link of spaced wheels.

these sit flush. but not stupid flush. great stance too
Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 PM

+1

if youre putting that amount into your car into suspension/handling, keep up the good work and go with a set of new wheels. and IMO, you can get and even more aggressive look with bigger wheels (width, stance, concave, etc.) im selling my black 18x9.5 et 38 5x100 56.1 ROta Grids for 750 OBO if interested. but ya, not worth putting that much into everything else, then have a weakest link of spaced wheels.

these sit flush. but not stupid flush. great stance too
Yeah I do love subaru performance wider wheels would be nice! Pm me a pic if you have one? I can't afford new wheels atm but might be interested later down the track!? Take a look at my pics of my car n let me know if you think your wheels will suit?

Yeah guess I shouldn't take any short cuts when it comes to my Rex!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Technical Know-It-All

The most ideal size for a GD Impreza is 17x8 with an offset in the mid to high +40s. Since you're looking for "flush" (which is bad because you're limiting your tire size), then an 18x8.5 with a similar offset may be more ideal. The widest and furthest out you can really do without going excessive and hurting performance is a 9" wheel with an offset in the mid to low +40s. 18x9.5 +38s don't fit GDs very well.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:30 PM

I also own a 2005 wrx sedan and am looking for that flush look. I don't race or drive aggressively, the car is my daily commuter. Anyway, I plan to get spacers and I have read a handful about them. I don't have the funds for wider wheels at the moment so I'm just curious as to what size spacers will give me that flush look. 25mm? 20mm? Do I get different sizes in the front I than the back or should all 4 spacers be the same size? And any brand recommendations? eBay? Lol
Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by vonburgundy
I also own a 2005 wrx sedan and am looking for that flush look. I don't race or drive aggressively, the car is my daily commuter. Anyway, I plan to get spacers and I have read a handful about them. I don't have the funds for wider wheels at the moment so I'm just curious as to what size spacers will give me that flush look. 25mm? 20mm? Do I get different sizes in the front I than the back or should all 4 spacers be the same size? And any brand recommendations? eBay? Lol
Hey man nice car choice! Um I had the same idea as you about getting some wheel spacers for a cheaper option rather than wide wheels. Which can be quite costly, but I measured my wheel gaps last night and in the front I'd probably go with either a 20mm or 25mm and in the rear go 25mm or 30mm.

Obviously they will compromise your handling slightly but as you stated it's your daily driver (as is my car) so it won't really have a huge effect on handling for you daily.

Do however read the other comments on this thread as they are really good advice from reliable people who know subaru's.

Quick Reply: What are the benifits of wheel spacers???