i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Subaru General (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/)
-   -   Wagon vs Sedan (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/wagon-vs-sedan-2004/)

jas142 12-03-2002 12:54 PM

Wagon vs Sedan

I think the wagon actually has more of an agressive look then the Sedan, even though the sedan is of course what they use for rallys.

Aside from that, which bodystyle is lighter? Does one bodystyle tend to be faster or better handling then the other?

Thanks

SubaMan 12-03-2002 01:12 PM

the sedan has a wider track (notice the flared wheel arches that are absent on the wagon).

This means you can put bigger wheels on the sedan, and it should also handle a little better (possibly unnoticable) in stock form.

Tha WeRX 12-03-2002 01:23 PM

Wagon is about 75 pounds heavier, performance shouldn't be that much slower....the wagon won't have as much aftermarket support with body kits and some exterior mods, if that's a problem for you.....oh, and the Wagon is actually cheaper than the sedan, go figure.....:-p

josh 12-04-2002 01:03 PM

hey there

performance wise i have never really noticed a difference. remember, performance is mainly the driver, not the car.

the wagon is a bit heavier, and a bit more narrow. i put on very wide rims and tires on my wagon (17x8.5 w 225's ET 35) and only had to roll the rear fender to make them fit. is you calculate that out that is an extra 20mm per side in wheels ofset alone, not including the extra wheels width. that more than makes up for the narrower track ofthe wagon. there is a little difference in geometry between the 2, but that is minimal in terms of what you'd actually notice.

throw a 20mm rear sway bar on, blindfold yourself(in theory :)) and you would have a very hard time telling the difference. the wagon might even have a better weight distribution die to the extra weight in the back.

the wagon is much more utilitarian, and there is a surprizing amount or room in these cars.

i could go on, but the bottom line is get which one you like the best. the performance difference should not be part of the decision. consider them equal for the most part.

josh

Kenn 12-08-2002 03:41 PM

Actually, I think the track is 20mm total, or 10mm per side, isn't it? Either way, for the most part I think the biggest difference between the two is how much stuff you'll need to haul vs. how anal you are about getting another 0.1 sec shaved off your 0-60 or 1/4. Instant 80lb weight savings plus slightly wider track for turns is pretty good for the added cost, whereas for me, getting essentially the same car + extra room, fold-down seats, and roof rails was too good to pass up.

Imprezer 12-08-2002 03:57 PM

Yeah, what Josh said. The cars are too much alike to be able to tell which one is "better". Just pick the "style" you like. Just like when you pick between the blue or a white car.

I have a sedan, and I want a wagon too. ;)

- Alex

IgotWRXed 12-08-2002 05:00 PM

also, i see a lot more wagons on the road than i do sedans. the sport wagon market is huge now and every 30-something year old with 2.3 children in the middleclass doesnt want to get stuck driving a voyager.

WRXSTIle 12-09-2002 01:46 AM

I went with the sedan, but it took me about two months to decide, and sometimes I still question my decision. I love the sedan and all but when I need to take in the german quatro engineering (the rottie) to get cleaned I wish I had more room.
I test drove both of them several times and they felt basicly the same.
The wagon could be more of a "sleeper" if that is what you are looking for.
I'm sure I am of no help as I am convinced I would love the wagon as much as I do the sedan had I got it.

Kenn 12-09-2002 12:59 PM

Bone stock wagon, nobody outside of a Caltrans van has revved at me since I got it.