Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

are there any teenage owners of the sti?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 2005 WR blue WRX w/ premium package
i agree w/ generalwrx. it seems that the first thing people do around here, is try to burn someone. come on. most of us would appreciate having some things handed to them. but in return, some of these people are good students and are great people. i believe that some are not druggies, which is good. so in return, they get nice rides. and yes most do not work at mcdonalds. we make better money than that and we are young.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:42 PM

and for insurance: my dad called, im 19 and an 03 wrx would be $1600 full coverage if i'm the full time driver on the car. if i'm a part time driver under my dad's name it would be $1102. both figures are for every 6 months. i have no accidents or tickets.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:44 PM

I'm 18 and at the Air Force Academy. I guess you could consider it a full time job but either way you look at it's definitely not a normal college experience. The only way I'm even able to dream about getting an STi in the next two years is the substantial loan I get from the government as a perk for missing out on some of the best things in life for 4 years. After that everything else is all out of my small but livable paycheck.

Granted some idiots do get hooked up by their too rich to care parents but the point sjice, flyBY 11, generalwrx and the majority of the rest of us are trying to make we aren't like them and the reason we're even in the forum to begin with is to gain the experience and knowledge we need to better our cars and ourselves as drivers. Not to mention meet people with the same interests and possibly the same age which was the reason for this post in the first place not to discuss whether young people like ourselves should even be driving such awesome cars as the STi. I don't want to be rude but why don't we try to get back to the actual reason for this post.

P.S. I appologize for the extremely long post but it had to be said.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:05 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
I got my 2002 WRX when I was 18. I handed them a check paid in full which I earned in 3 years total during H.S. where I built computers for people.

It was probably either the biggest regret of my life or the biggest life changer for me. I know that I could put that 25,000 dollars into the stock market or any investment and have it made in the future. But I didn't do that and put it on a WRX. I'm happy with the WRX, just I know I could have done something better. I don't mind driving a Civic or, in my case, a 2nd gen DSM with crankwalk, knowing you have plenty of money thats gonna grow within a few years. But hey its your money, if it makes you happy to splurge 33k on a car then by all means do it. But remember, cars depreciate. I'm 19 now and I'm already out of the "show off my wrx to people" mode that I had before.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:02 AM

hey 955 daytona. why don't u stop assuming things. i'm the friend who makes the $10/hour w/ commission. you must be the immature 15 year old who relies on his allowance. that is my assumption. i'm a full time college student working 42 hours every two weeks. i'm not 18 and i don't work 30 hours per week. sux to be you, so stop making assumptions.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:16 PM

It's honestly not all that hard nowadays that minimum wage is constantly increasing and the kid has a great sense of money management. Anyone who is a teenager and has been saving up ever since they started working at, say, 16 for a decent car in the future can easily afford the STi. Say a kid lives at home_NO EXPENSES_ other than MAYBE a cell phone bill(20-40 bucks/month?) and just works, say for $8-9 bucks/hour for around 30-35 hours a week. That's a good $800-825 per month. True income has a lot to do with affording things, but income holds no place if the person making it doesn't know how to manage expenses. It is possible to afford an STi while you're still a teen given A LARGE SPECTRUM of variables:

-when you started working
-how well you started to save when you started working
-kind of promotion you've had over the years
-etc....

Basically, if some kid were to start 2-3 years ago for saving for a better car than the 'hand me down' hooptie, then it is possible. The only thing I'd worry about is insurance payments(and that too also depends on many things: insurance company, driving record, gender, how extensive the policy is..etc...)
BUUUT, if a teenager has a BAD driving record and BAD grades GOING INTO an STi, well, then I'd say parents would probably have to step in and help out.

All B.S. aside, I really could care less if some 17 year old kid were buy an STi or get it handed to them by mommy or daddy JUST AS LONG AS they KNOW what they truly have and retain a little respect for its capabilities by not driving like a complete idiot. There's nothing wrong with saving up way early in the game or being spoiled; just don't act like a pompous jerk or drive like a jackass.

-STiLL

Last edited by STiLL WILL; 09-17-2003 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: are there any teenage owners of the sti?