Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Options to run the Radiator Fans on command

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi
Options to run the Radiator Fans on command

Does anyone know of how we can make the radiator fans run on our commander? I would like to put a switch in the system so that I can run the radiator fans when I want them to but still allow the computer to turn them on as well. It would be great if we could make them run when the car is off as well. My thought is to do this between autoX runs. I know that mustang owners have figured this out but has anyone in the Subaru community done this yet?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
you could simply splice into the harness and run a relay to the positive side of the fan.

Although Subaru is notorious for actually switching the ground on some circuits. You should probably put a volt meter to the plug and see if the 12v is hot when the fan is off.

you can trigger the fans by turning on the AC in the car, they should run whenever the AC is on.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
I did it to my old bugeye years ago when I thought the "auto on" feature died. I just piggy backed off the power and ground and added a switch. Could run the fan off the battery whenever. To my surprise one day the computer turned on the fan, I felt silly, and undid my wire job. Can't remember off the top of my head what wires I used, and I know this doesn't help you much, but it can be done.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Car Info: 2004 STi
It gets me pointed in the right direction. I know it can be done but am really asking if someone has already done it that can Chime in to help cut down the time. A how to would be great but I can always do that if there isn't one after I do mine