Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:17 PM

Opinions wanted

Finally bought my first WRX a couple months ago. It's a daily driver. Running an AEM intake, Cobb accessport, and just installed a Perrin bpv. What should I do next? What brand? Why do you like it? I really want to do a turbo back exhaust with headers. I'm leaning towards keeping the uneven header style. How does equal length heads sound? Go crazy. Thanks for all opinions!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:04 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Are you running a Cobb map off your accessport? If so, I'd say the next step would be getting a professional tune. Your car will be much happier, and the power gains will be maximized through this medium. There are several tuners in the bay area that would be glad to point you in the right direction, mod wise. It all depends on what your goals are. If you decide to go with the full exhaust, trust me when I say the equal length header will sound like garbage without a larger turbo. Stay UEL until until you have to switch it up
The other route would be to firm up your stock suspension first before going with more power. Thicker sway bars and aftermarket endlinks will make a world of difference in the way your car handles. A nice spring strut combo is also recomended for improved handling and ride quality. Plus you'll negate a bit of that stock wheel gap, without having to worry about destroying the bottom of your car.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 PM

I did a custom map when we put the car on the dyno. With just the AEM intake on it we got it up to 280hp to the wheels. My goal is to do all my bolt ons. I really want to do a full exhaust along with intake manifold, inter cooler etc. there are so many different brands though. I always stick with something I have heard of but still it gets tough when it comes to brand. I want to get some small stuff before that though. My next is definitely going to be a boost gauge. I'm thinking of something that matches the dash lighting now (red). One of my favorite things about these cars is, the options are endless.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by N0SpeedLimit
I did a custom map when we put the car on the dyno. With just the AEM intake on it we got it up to 280hp to the wheels. My goal is to do all my bolt ons. I really want to do a full exhaust along with intake manifold, inter cooler etc. there are so many different brands though. I always stick with something I have heard of but still it gets tough when it comes to brand. I want to get some small stuff before that though. My next is definitely going to be a boost gauge. I'm thinking of something that matches the dash lighting now (d). One of my favorite things about these cars is, the options are endless.
May I ask where you had your car on the dyno? 280whp sounds a bit high for a mostly stock wrx.
As far as exhausts components go, it doesn't get any better than Tomei (if you can afford it). Process west also makes great intercoolers for our cars.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:27 PM

I live in NY, but got my car tuned in CT. The tune was done by JK motor sports. They upped the boost a bit as well. The stock manifold is plastic in my wrx. This is what limited us a bit. This was with just a cold AEM intake. I told him to tune it for an aggressive daily driver. Car has felt far better since. They specialize in drag racing and rally cars. I was thinking about putting some sti parts in like intake manifold and inter cooler. But then again if I'm spending the money, might as well go all out.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:39 PM

Car Info: Eclipse
I dunno man. I'm running a turboback protuned and got only 270 on the heart break dyno.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:07 PM

It's the Cobb Access Port. It allows you reprogram the ECU and unlock hidden power. We turned up the boost slightly as well. Car even drives better. The Cobb V3 is the best investment. After some more adds I will retune. Who's got any suggestions on another intake manifold?
Old 10-24-2014, 02:27 PM

Car Info: WRX
I think it'd help to tell us what car you have. I don't want to assume the car in your Avatar is yours.

Turboback exhaust is what'll get you a ton of power.

To be honest even with an accessport, a WRX with those mods will not make 280whp. I'm sorry.

Another thing is when tuning I don't think it should be how much power you are getting out of your car. But how much power you can get reliably and safely.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:41 PM

I appreciate the feedback. I have a 2013 wrx premium. And yes, the car in the picture is mine actually. I don't understand. The car has 265 stock. And now it up to 280. The car has been tuned professionally. What's so off? The car drives better than stock. I definitely plan on doing a turbo back with heads but I can't decide on brand. Here's my dyno print out.

Opinions wanted-image-2765669216.jpg
Old 10-24-2014, 06:05 PM

265 to the crank and 265 to the wheels is something different altogether. I don't understand what you mean by heads... If you meant headers to me those don't make that much of a difference. Just sound. I may just not be familiar with the newer WRXs, but a 2008 STI would get 230whp, when it has 300 crank hp. So to say that you're still stage 1, and only an accessport (which doesn't allow a tuner to do MORE per se), it's unlikely you're at 280 whp. Apparently that dyno dynamics reads low, but it just doesn't sound right.

2013 WRX Stage 1 Dyno and 1/4 Mile Times - NASIOC
2012 WRX Stock vs Stage 1 Dyno Comparison - NASIOC
AEM intake + Cobb AP stage 1 Dyno results - NASIOC

If you're looking for turbobacks, go on rally sport direct and see which ones you think look and sound nice. Or go out to meets. I've always been a fan of invidia products. But you really can't go wrong if you buy a brand name like Cobb, etc.

Edit:

Last edited by Baliztik; 10-24-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:17 PM

You can consider the responses you have received relatively nice. There have been other members who have been barraged with insults and "use the search function".

I'm glad that the few who have responded have been on their best behavior. Having said that it sounds like you're new to the scene, and also new to having a fast car / running dynos. Crank hp and whp are totally different. My old IS300 had 215 crank hp and around 185whp. No car makes the amount they advertise.

Secondly there are a bunch of mods that members on here have attested to that do nothing. One of these is a blow off valve. While they sound cool, are horrible for our cars.

Do not go cheap when modding your WRX. If you end up getting cheap parts, or go to a cheap/inexperienced tuner it will come back to haunt you. Now cheap means no name or eBay brand. You can get tons of quality parts for cheap if you purchase used.

Before you ask questions always make sure to do a quick search. If you can't find your answer quickly feel free to ask, but don't be surprised when people tell you to search.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm totally aware of hp being produced and then some being lost to the wheels. I joined here to pick up some useful knowledge. Why do you say blow off valves are bad?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:17 PM

. I see how an atmospheric blow off valve can be bad. But what about an after market bpv? It seems pretty logical being that's similar to factory. Recirculating. I just installed a Perrin one in my car.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:42 PM

Car Info: STI Hatch - 2012
I say, spend some money on some good tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports), and take the car out and enjoy driving it in a nice twisty road. After doing that, I say

UR Mud Flaps (for function)
WeatherTech Floor Liners (for function)
Motor / Trans Mounts and Diff Inserts
Tint

Alot of people mod their cars but don't get to use the performance. Take her out to a nice twisty road and you need to get back some of that enjoyment..

Last edited by Funks; 10-24-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm totally aware of hp being produced and then some being lost to the wheels. I joined here to pick up some useful knowledge. Why do you say blow off valves are bad?
It's still strange that your dyno sheet reads so high. What octane fuel did you get tuned on? Any idea how many psi the target boost is?

. I see how an atmospheric blow off valve can be bad. But what about an after market bpv? It seems pretty logical being that's similar to factory. Recirculating. I just installed a Perrin one in my car.
There's nothing wrong with an aftermarket recirc bpv. As long as it's adjusted properly, and not venting to the atmosphere, you're good. People just like to talk trash about nonfunctional mods, but in the end it's your car so do as you please

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted