i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Subaru General (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/)
-   -   New thought I'd say Hi. (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/new-thought-id-say-hi-65437/)

trestles126 07-12-2004 01:18 PM

New thought I'd say Hi.

3 Attachment(s)
Hi my name is Cheyne Skasick, I'm new to this forum and would like to say Hi to everyone here. I'm 19 years old and live in Brea, CA. I have been into Desert Racing for years now.I'm a registered member of [url]www.desertrides.com[/url], [url]www.race-dezert.com[/url], [url]www.dezertrangers.com[/url] (all respected offroad related forums) I'm buildin a Class 1450 Ranger as we speak and Drive a 1999 Chevy silverado. Lifted and all that. After about 2 years of driving it and puttin up with the big truck problems(parking, bad gas milage, attracting the wrong girls haha, and rough ride) i have decided to look into a wrx because the wrx is the car any desert guy would buy if he had one, and I have been infatuated by them for years now. And with me startin my apprentiship in Local 12 operating engineers union I think I might just be able to afford a STI. I have small connections at Rennick Subaru so that will be my dealer of choice.

My problem is, I have been reading up on the STIs and I have noticed that people say they have a rough ride, Me never owning any type of car. and only trucks with lifts, and or fully custum suspension with terrible street charictoristics I have no clue on to what to base a rough ride in a car as to what i have had in the past. I know tis not goin to drive like a Caddy but for what it is would most of you like to drive one everyday. I'm used to fully caged Prerunners with lots of body roll and no air conditioning so i think the STI will be like driving a cloud compared to my past trucks. I just want to make sure its a practical car overall. also what kind of GAs milage do most STI owners get drivin highways? I'm used to 11mpg in the chevy

I can see that this forum is full of very helpfull people and hope to contribute and learn anything possible. I have many good friends i have met through other forums. Thanks for any info or suggestions. If any of you are into the desert racing crowd as well let me know i love to chat ask away for future plans on the race truck/play truck.

cheyne

here are a few pics of the race ranger, my chevy i have of right now and me.

Nick Koan 07-12-2004 01:36 PM

Hi and welcome. I'll try to answer your questions. I'm not an STi owner, so I'm not the expert, but I do know a few guys who own them (plus being on this board long enough allows you to pick up a few things).

Gas mileage is dependant on how you drive. The longer you stay on boost, the more gas you'll eat up. That said, the typical daily driver STi will get just above 20mpg. On the track, I'm sure its much less. Also, the ride is rougher then your average sedan, but I don't think it will be rougher then your lifted race trucks. Like you said, it will probably be like driving on a cloud comparatively.

PyroManiac 07-12-2004 01:48 PM

Welcome to the boards! nKoan is right, expect about 20 MPG highway. As for the rough riding, I personally think the STi handles and rides very well. Many people who ride with me get sort of jumpy when I throw it around corners, but they get used to it. I personally have no problem with that, but some do. You are correct in saying it is like a cloud compared to a lifted truck, or an EVo. Happy Hunting, and see you around!

Magish 07-12-2004 08:25 PM

Welcome! I'm not gonna pipe in on the ride thing (dont own a STi) but just wanted to peep in and welcome you to i-club, and tell you (as if you didn't know before) that your truck(s) are sweet!

RoadSpike 07-12-2004 10:03 PM

Well to compare the rough and smooth rides lesse about a couple rides you've probably already been in ok?

Smooth rides old tarus's, any kind of luxury like high end buicks, lexus's, etc.

Rough rides, go carts (yeah maybe not this rough but comes close at times lol), most lowered vehicles, a roushe, and some sport models like SS cameros are fair on the roughness.

Gas milage? i don't care how you look at it a 300hp car that gets the mpg the STI does is awesome.

trestles126 07-13-2004 12:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the info guys. I went and sat in one the other day. I dig them alot except for the back seat doesnt fold down for surfboards and so on but mines short enough that i can throw it in anyways. Is the backseat being stationary havin to do makin the car more stout and iliminating flex? Other than that I like it alot. I'm almost contiplating sellin my 1450 ranger to get closer to owning a sti but i can just wait and save up the dough no use salin off other dreams to have new ones why not have them all! ha ha.

the only rear sports cars i have been in are my buddies dads which he hands the keys away to you like they're candy : 04 ZO6 vette /05 cadillac CTS-V which is probably the coolest, most comfortable car i have been in with that much HP and 6 speed/ stock sentra. and a stock 02 jetta (lil sisters)

I have been deprived of riding in cars my hole life seein that my family are all truck people

Here are some more pics of my trucks the pics with the beach and dirt in the background are down in Puerto San Isidro (baja California) during the 04 Baja 500 Score race.

let me know if uploading pictures for your viewing is not wanted...some forums are weird about that.(all photos taken by Me) Red Class 1 car i help pit for time to time, 1497 ranger I help pit for as much as possible, the rest are just pictures of races.

thanks again
Cheyne

wrx10404 07-13-2004 02:35 PM

Welcome to the club. Seriously, you may want to consider a WRX wagon or the new Legacy wagon. Yeah it won't have the Hp right away but you can mod and get a good handleing well performing car. You would have plenty of room for stuff and a roof rack if you want it(HMM. sounds like a truck). I have a sedan but i think a wagon would suit you well. I know what you may be thinking, c'mon a wagon? Just look around here a little and talk to some of the wagon owners and they look pretty cool and fill the double duty thing as well. Oh yeah! i forgot about the Forester XT. Good luck with your purchase i am sure that no matter what Subaru you buy you will be happy, even if it's not an STi.

Xaqtly 07-13-2004 03:50 PM

I'll chime in just to agree that the wagon (either WRX or Legacy GT) may suit your needs better because of the cargo room. The back seat folds flat in the wagons. They're not as fast nor handle as well as the STi, but they are quick and you get the usabilty.

Gleb83 07-13-2004 05:12 PM

Welcome to the board, as far as your question the best thing to do is take one out for a test drive. I don't think the ride will be bad, actually it should awesome considering you guys don't have snow and have awesome roads in CA.

trestles126 07-13-2004 08:12 PM

haha Im still stickin with the STI. i will still have 2 trucks in the fam one in which will be half mine (buying a newer pickup with my dad for work) so ill have a truck if it comes down to it. oh and no dealerships will let you test drive them around here, which makes sense. they will let you drive it after you sign the paperwork and get approved and basically buy it, then you can bring it back if it doesnt suit you.

also few more questions about the STI ill just post all my questions in here if thats ok instead of makin new threads.

-THey recomend running 92 octane correct, no 87 octane?

-blue and black are the only interior options?

-how much of a diiference does havin the spoiler on a car make? is it a high speed issue (in which you'll rarely if not never catch me doin 125 down a Cali freeway) or something that effects day to day driving? never really cared for the look of them. But im sure they are there for a reason.

-anyone from Southern Cali in here?

Xaqtly 07-14-2004 12:51 AM

Yeah, I'm in the LA area. Yes, only Premium (which is 91, not 92 here in SoCal), and yes those are the only interior colors available. The spoiler was designed to keep the car planted on the road at high speeds, it's not just for looks. It helps stability at high speeds.

wrx10404 07-14-2004 05:43 AM

If you get the STi and don't like the big wing i am sure someone will trade you trunks(either wingless or small WRX wing).

impreza04 07-14-2004 07:30 AM

welcome to i-club

numbr17 07-14-2004 07:37 AM

Cheyne,

Welcome to the i-club! If you're used to trucks and whatnot, I am sure you'll be pretty happy with the STi handling/ride. It is pretty stiff, but that's just what should be expected out of a car of this caliber of handling. Very fun car around turns. If you can deal with the fact that cargo space is not exceptional (for the surfboards and such), then I'm sure you'll fall in love with this car. STi's win Rally events like the Pike's Peak Hill-Climb all the time, so you'll appreciate the fact that this car is a supercar both on and OFF the road. :) You seem like a very mature and interetsing individual, and I hope you come back often! Good luck with your research/purchase!

-Nikko

WyteAnjal 07-14-2004 04:23 PM

Hello welcome to the group I hope you enjoy it here. I am pretty new too..