Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

The new Impreza line....What is wrong in our world today?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:11 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Unhappy The new Impreza line....What is wrong in our world today?!

Hello guys! I didn't look around to check if someone would have comment it already, but... i just can't believe what the new Impreza would look like!
Here is a link to the article that i have just come across, if i may - http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/impreza_wrx.asp
Well, to be honest, i did expected something like the car from the picture i attached to be born, and when the real result is what we can see from the other article... speechless, can't tell you how disappointed i am. Sorry, there is no way this car to be on my wish-list any more, it seems that i would have to live in the past, or at least to pray some of the tunning companies to rescue the new Impreza from the ditch Subaru have it in!
Ok, just count to 1000, took a deeeeeeeep breath and let me try to look at the new car as neutral as i can..
I can't see the back of the sedan, but the car itself is looking like the current Chrysler Sebring, just more qualitier build..All respect to Sebring lovers out there, but i am sooo on the other side when it is up to the design of the thing...
Guys, i am not the greatest lover of the backside of the last few years of the Impreza's sedans way of look (that is why my WRX is wagon..) but comparing to the new..thing..the new Impreza, i am so loving each older sedan that is there on the streets! The new car seems to be taller, and if you look it from the side -> that line...that higher looking backside... it is all gone wrong.. King of looking like the current Corollas... And guess what i thing of this Toyotas (when in the garage there is my brother's AE86.....)!
And the hatch version... I would bet that this would be the model in the new Impreza range that would succeed more comparing to the other ones.. I would do something for the backlights, but i am pretty sure there are a lot of people that like that kind of plastic look..
The bonnet looks kind of good, the headlights are something we can all live with, but the grill i thing is awful, awful, awfull... the whole headlights and grill segment is so Sebring.. and i would not live with the knowledge that my Impreza is looking as one big, fatty, plastic..car.. again, take no offense(!), just style-wise something horrable have had happened in the design departament of Subaru! The car would be something great to drive, i am pretty sure about that! And it would be nicely build and quality product, but just (don't) look at it! Here is the first bonus to drive this new range - when inside, you won't be able to look your car form outside!
Out of words.. i am so disappointed.. I guess i will be forced to see the new range when it is on the street, but it is just not what i thought we were expecting from the next generation..not how an sporty mid-sized name in the business should feel like, it is looking sooo away from "sporty".
I know and i would expect that with some touches here and there, and VERY, VERY dark colour, and at night, you will be able to decide to drive it in public.. but the damage is already done..
Hey guys, this is my opinion and i can say that i am exagerating at few points, but i am veeery disapointed and shocked from that new look. Don't get offended, some of you may like it, it is ok with me - i will be driving something else, you know Just i would feel so sorry for someone trying to go out with his girlfriend/boyfriend and on the traffic lights a '99 Impreza 2.5 RS is next to the car for example..
This new range will make me try to remember to to say that i am driving pre-'08 Impreza everytime when asked about my car..
Eventually, in the long future i will be able to sleep normal again.. just this new range is such a sorry looking picture..

Please do feel welcomed to comment, cry, laugh - everything you want, the damage is already done (to me), the range officially will be on sale in US.. With your reactions i will be trying to get prepared to see this..things.. on the road..

I am so saying a prayer tonight, thanking someone, that i am driving '02 model...
Attached Thumbnails The new Impreza line....What is wrong in our world today?!-future-impreza.jpg  
Old 04-03-2007, 06:03 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
To be honest, I was too lazy to read that whole post. But here you go anyway...

https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/pics-2008-wrx-fo-realz-159647/

https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/photoshoped-08-hatch-tint-rims-drop-there-anything-make-look-better-160254/
Old 04-03-2007, 06:26 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
hug it out b*tch, hug it out.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:15 PM

what was wrong with the designs we could sniff from year ago up to now!?!.. The car there was looking sooo cool, but this release..
I remember myself thinking how much i want to buy a new Impreza, and how it will be responding to the new Evo design that is coming soon.. Jeez, it would have been a hell of a good pair of cars and such a nice match up! And now.. well, this will be the new Impreza, and if i was to buy new car Impreza or Evo - there is no comparison! I would take the new Evo every time if it was up to the design.. Shame on Subaru, as one guy already said in the other thread - hope it doesn't sell :\ It is a grease spot on the silk white shirt..
I do like hatches and i think the hatch of the Impreza would be the better choice..but it has now become "the best of the worst" choice in a way... I don't think if there are people who like to look at cars who would give the new range a second glance..
Now i am looking for the next next model:/ If they don't fix it, the Impreza line is doomed..
Old 04-03-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by eddie
what was wrong with the designs we could sniff from year ago up to now!?!.. The car there was looking sooo cool, but this release..
I remember myself thinking how much i want to buy a new Impreza, and how it will be responding to the new Evo design that is coming soon.. Jeez, it would have been a hell of a good pair of cars and such a nice match up! And now.. well, this will be the new Impreza, and if i was to buy new car Impreza or Evo - there is no comparison! I would take the new Evo every time if it was up to the design.. Shame on Subaru, as one guy already said in the other thread - hope it doesn't sell :\ It is a grease spot on the silk white shirt..
I do like hatches and i think the hatch of the Impreza would be the better choice..but it has now become "the best of the worst" choice in a way... I don't think if there are people who like to look at cars who would give the new range a second glance..
Now i am looking for the next next model:/ If they don't fix it, the Impreza line is doomed..
Have fun. The Evo X doesn't look any better, shares its chasis with the Dodge Caliber, only comes in paddle shift form, has a new and unproven aluminum open deck block (no aftermarket), and will consist of standard Mitsu quality.

Enjoy!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by eddie
<snip...>
I didn't buy my MY02 WRX for its looks. The Impreza competes in rallying and has a history in the WRC. The winning cars in the current WRC are all hatchbacks and Subaru has an obligation to investigate whether a hatch with relatively short overhangs front and rear will meet with more success in competition.

If Subaru can produce a road car with more chassis rigidity than the current GD chassis while not paying a weight penalty, this can pay off with better handling. If they somehow manage to do all this and lose 150 pounds off the weight of the current WRX or STI, I would buy one. I don't care whether it's a hatch, sedan, or coupe. Body styling is of secondary importance to me when I buy a performance car on my budget. If all I wanted was a pretty car, I'd buy a clean GC and leave it parked in the garage and stare at it.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:41 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
hug it out b*tch, hug it out.
WINN4R!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 AM

Superglue WRX, what you said about the Evo X is paintfully true. Sharing chasis with Dodge Caliber is not very good beginning..and if it is paddle-shifted only.. baad :\ It would be "enjoyable" drive, i agree.. To be honest, i haven't dig for any information about what the Evo X would be underneath, i just liked the way it looks from outside and that was it.
I admit that i had only the design in mind, i thought i had it clear

Superglue WRX and Wingless Wonder, you guys are giving the real facts here and i am totaly with you on this one. The Evo X would be a trashy to drive if they give it this kind of chasis and the other stuff.. It sounds like they are just going for the market piece - flashy stuff is what a lot of the posers do like.

Wingless Wonder, my reason for buying the WRX -> All I wanted was the 2.0l engine, mainly (i am still away from all the other stuff, because i don't have a bag of money to put into the car right now, and go on track days). And our cars are quite a good something, to begin with. Well, mine needs a little more work, 'coz it is a wagon - i need to peel more weight comparing to a sedan owner of the same year (80 pounds). But if you compare our year to what is now on the market - we are already ahead with 150 pounds! So, yeah, if the new WRX is lighter - there may be point for it and future too! All the design damage would be easily repaired with some optional and aftermarket parts, and it would be a car you won't mind been spotted into!

(will you give the rookie a helping hand? -> how to quote, with copy-paste?? Hey, i am still green, i am expected to ask stuupiiiid questions :} Well, yeah, sorry for the trouble ;} )

i saw it, just after posting... will keep it on mind in future ;}

Last edited by eddie; 04-04-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:38 AM

Car Info: chyea buddy
I must say the new model is disappointing. I never was in love with the bug-eye (no offense) but after seeing the new model I get a slight excitement everytime I see a bug-eye on the road. Its sad.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:14 AM

One of the greatest feelings of having a WRX, for me, is that other Impreza drivers (WRXs STi-s) just greet you. You are part of a club just because you are driving the car (and maybe looking kind of cool yourself..)! Looking at the new design, i would feel ashamed if i have to greet someone in that new car.. Gonna scold me about it, someone?

STiobsession89, i get you on the bug-eye Imprezas.. I do like the look since few years now (i would love it when i do some exterior upgrading for my car), but for me this model was as scary as the '08 is today. It's problem was that i do think that the '99 2.5 RS was the mother of all beauty in the Imprezas, and for the next model to be stepping after it....man, i was terrified! Hopefully, the WRC car showed some love and i get used to it, and then the '04 model afterwards was looking aggresive so i liked it too.

So now, what's left is to pray for the new STi to be a miracle both in exterior and performance... and to have lost 200 pounds..
Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 AM

1) Get used to it because the new body will be around for at least 2 years

2) For all of the people who "won't" buy one because it's ugly, tough loss. On paper it already has the stuff to become the best performing USDM WRX to date. Don't be suprised when a moded '08 slaps hands all of the older WRXs their asses on the track.

3) I'm waiting for the WRC car to come out so I can hear all of the nay sayers say, "Wow, that looks siiiiiick!!!"

4) No one's 02-07 model resale value is going to go up, sorry to disapoint.

Tell me you don't like this car....

Name:  SFMemorialDay06059.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  136.3 KB

... in all practical senses of the word, this car is ugly, but I still love it and I think it's by far the best looking GD body.

I was disapointed when I first saw pics of the bugeye model. The first time I learned about rally racing was seing magazine pics of the GC8 rippin it up in the dirt. Then I found out it was coming to the US, but it was going to look like this? I got over that quickly. What was important to me was the car's heritage, it's practicality, and it's performance. At the time, Subaru of all things, was the only Japanese automaker selling a turbo car in the US. The bugeye single handidly open the doors for automakers to build more turbo cars.

As for being part of the "club", I rarely ever get the wave. Most other Suby drivers don't even look in my direction. I've gotten more nods and thumbs from non-suby drivers. Don't bother me none, I didn't buy a car hoping to make friends out of strangers.

Cheers!

Last edited by Superglue WRX; 04-04-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
2) For all of the people who "won't" buy one because it's ugly, tough loss. On paper it already has the stuff to become the best performing USDM WRX to date. Don't be suprised when a moded '08 slaps hands all of the older WRXs their asses on the track.

3) I'm waiting for the WRC car to come out so I can hear all of the nay sayers say, "Wow, that looks siiiiiick!!!"

4) No one's 02-07 model resale value is going to go up, sorry to disapoint.

Cheers!
Man, i will agree with you. Can you just throw some of the new numbers from the new model's paperwork? I really want to take a look and to soothe my broken heart !

The WRC car is always something big and exactly it would be the one to change most of the feelings of the people! I bet you know, how big the changes are now (in the current WRC car) comparing to few months ago, at least how happy the drivers are with them, so there is no doubt the WRC model would kick ***, and the new model too. As a machine it would leave the older models in the dust, me included! It have always been siiiiiick and i am putting money that it will continue in that fashion!

and i am so not selling my car, so no sorry for the prices of the old Imprezas ;P

Cheers back
Old 04-04-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by eddie
Man, i will agree with you. Can you just throw some of the new numbers from the new model's paperwork? I really want to take a look and to soothe my broken heart !
The power ratings are virtually unchanged, but there are subtle differences which will send this car ahead of the pack:

From the underhood pictures, it's most likely going to be running a Legacy GT engine. All you need to know from that is "bigger stock turbo" and "peak torque @2800rpm" which is about 800rpm sooner.

It's lighter than the current model.

It's finally got a modern double wishbone set up in the rear.

... add some basic power upgrades, bigger wheels and tires, and let it loose on the nearest road course.

I do have just one small concern. It's now being built on the Legacy platform and its wheelbase is now 3.7" longer. I'm wondering how that will affect the WRC car as well as the autocross regulars.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 AM

Car Info: 07 Subaru 2.5i Special Edition
It is also going to be built in the good 'ol USA.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by tenderloin
It is also going to be built in the good 'ol USA.
No it's not.

Quick Reply: The new Impreza line....What is wrong in our world today?!