Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

My 2013 WRX buying experience, need expert advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:08 AM

Car Info: Subaru BRZ 2013
My 2013 WRX buying experience, need expert advice

I'm new to this forum and this post is sorta detailed, so please bear with me.

In the month of February I ordered this car:
2013 wrx limited sedan with sti short shifter and navigation (~30k)

In The end of May, this is what I received
2013 wrx limited hatch with sti shoft shifter and navigation (~30k)

I waited 3 months for my dream car, but unfortunately the dealer ordered the wrong car for me. I immediately asked whether I can quickly order another wrx and he said no, subaru is not accepting new orders. Please keep in mind that I also asked other dealers to verify this, and indeed i can't order a new car. Fast forward to 1.5 weeks later, he told me he was able to find another dealer with a similar car:

2013 wrx limited sedan with sti shoft shifter, no navigation and various other extras (~29.2k)

I was sorta furious because if I were to buy the exact specification 3 months I would've paid less than what he was offering me and I didn't need to wait. On top of that, it's not even what I ordered.

The trade was successful, and the second car is being transported to the other dealer so my current dealer can initiate the trade, a day later, I was struck with more bad news. The car had port damage so it's in repair...

What I am stuck with now is a dealer who supposedly "pulled strings" to get the car that I wanted..but now I may be paying for a new car price for a refurbished car (I am still waitng for the extent of the damage, but anyway work needs to be done to the car). I am leaning towards backing out on the deal (since all i did was put down a $500 refundable order). I don't want to burn bridges with this dealer because he's helpful and the prices are fair and if anything I do plan to order the 2014 wrx with him.

Please i-club community, what are your thoughts?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 AM

Car Info: '11 STI
the car with no navi, was in an accident? im confused
Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 AM

Car Info: 91 legacy, 87 mr2, 17 forester xt
u should back out of the deal and get the car you want.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
Originally Posted by chochocho
^ this.

If you are not getting your car you wanted new. Just return the car or back out of it. you have a certain time frame to return. If they try to haggle with you with price. you should be expecting the car you want at a lesser amount. You waited and wasted more of your time to get something you didn't want. This would be different if you were buying used, but you are talking about a new car from a reputable dealer. The only "string" they need to be pulling is to do their job right the first time with out the unnessary BS. The ball is on your court.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by flat489
the car with no navi, was in an accident? im confused
The dealer explained to me that it was damaged during the transport from Japan to the US. Most likely because cars were packed so tightly together.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by chochocho
I am leaning towards backing out, but the price seems really fair and this dealer is pretty genuine (unlike most pushy dealers I've met).
Old 06-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by mistaanime
^ this.

If you are not getting your car you wanted new. Just return the car or back out of it. you have a certain time frame to return. If they try to haggle with you with price. you should be expecting the car you want at a lesser amount. You waited and wasted more of your time to get something you didn't want. This would be different if you were buying used, but you are talking about a new car from a reputable dealer. The only "string" they need to be pulling is to do their job right the first time with out the unnessary BS. The ball is on your court.
You're completely right about this. I did waste a lot of my time. I haven't even received the car yet because it's still being repaired at the port apparently. I'm not sure what type of damage it is, but everything seems to be a sign to not get the car. He was getting a little upset when I told him I foreshadowed about backing out when he told me about the damage that was done to the car. He also said he had to talk to "upper management" to get this trade done. But honestly, if there wasn't an error to begin with, I wouldn't been having to go through all this trouble. I really want a WRX, but maybe it's not at this time.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Car Info: DGM BRZ
Exactly. THEY made the mistake while ordering the car, not you. Back out of the deal and just tell them it's unfortunate that you weren't able to get what you ordered due to an error made on their behalf, but you don't feel comfortable or happy buying something you did not ask for or want.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Loves the Anime

Originally Posted by rourich
You're completely right about this. I did waste a lot of my time. I haven't even received the car yet because it's still being repaired at the port apparently. I'm not sure what type of damage it is, but everything seems to be a sign to not get the car. He was getting a little upset when I told him I foreshadowed about backing out when he told me about the damage that was done to the car. He also said he had to talk to "upper management" to get this trade done. But honestly, if there wasn't an error to begin with, I wouldn't been having to go through all this trouble. I really want a WRX, but maybe it's not at this time.
Im not gonna tell you what to do, but the new wrx is just around corner you have already waited this long...whats another year? unless they cut you some very good deal.

He doesn't have to talk to anyone, i've been in sales for 10 years and talking to "upper managment" is going into the manager's off and chit chating how else they can take money from you. If you want something to happen, you talk to higher management and consult to him about your issues especially when and how your car was suppose to be done. then talk about time loss and wages because of a lack of transportation because the delay in development. good luck brotha.

Last edited by mistaanime; 06-05-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Guillermo
Exactly. THEY made the mistake while ordering the car, not you. Back out of the deal and just tell them it's unfortunate that you weren't able to get what you ordered due to an error made on their behalf, but you don't feel comfortable or happy buying something you did not ask for or want.
I was actually okay with the trade up until they told me about the port damage. I just feel guilty because he went through with the efforts of finding the car then initiating a trade only to find out that this new car went through a repair from port damage. But you're right, I really don't feel comfortable at this point and I think my patience has reached it's limit. I may back out.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 AM

Im not gonna tell you what to do, but the new wrx is just around corner you have already waited this long...whats another year? unless they cut you some very good deal.

He doesn't have to talk to anyone, i've been in sales for 10 years and talking to "upper managment" is going into the manager's off and chit chating how else they can take money from you. If you want something to happen, you talk to higher management and consult to him about your issues especially when and how your car was suppose to be done. then talk about time loss and wages because of a lack of transportation because the delay in development. good luck brotha.
He seemed pretty genuine. Unless it's a strategy that they're doing to get me to buy the car. At this point, should I directly contact with the higher management? I am getting sick and tired of all these mishaps. I do like the new WRX mule! I may back out and wait. I hope I don't burn the bridges with this dealer though. Unless, I can find another reliable dealer with good prices.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Loves the Anime

Originally Posted by rourich
He seemed pretty genuine. Unless it's a strategy that they're doing to get me to buy the car. At this point, should I directly contact with the higher management? I am getting sick and tired of all these mishaps. I do like the new WRX mule! I may back out and wait. I hope I don't burn the bridges with this dealer though. Unless, I can find another reliable dealer with good prices.
haha dealers aren't your friends and if they were, you wouldn't have created this thread right? If anything they are more concerned about the % they take home.

Think about it, if you are worried about burning bridges. I think they already burned them down. THey should have made your car according to expected and to your satisfacation. You being the customer should deserve that right. Its not just some cheap "civic" it's going to be 30k burning down your wallet.

Your car is probably the 2nd most expensive thing you'd ever buy in your lifetime. You deciding what you want to do with is on your own. Just don't be played, you're the one in control.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Car Info: Eclipse
TBH, if you're not in a rush to get your car, I'd wait a bit for prices to drop. Before they released the 2013, I was going to buy a 2012 OTD for $24k. However, I opted to wait to see if there were any changes in 2013 and ended up having to pay $24.7 before taxes and fees.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 AM

haha dealers aren't your friends and if they were, you wouldn't have created this thread right? If anything they are more concerned about the % they take home.

Think about it, if you are worried about burning bridges. I think they already burned them down. THey should have made your car according to expected and to your satisfacation. You being the customer should deserve that right. Its not just some cheap "civic" it's going to be 30k burning down your wallet.

Your car is probably the 2nd most expensive thing you'd ever buy in your lifetime. You deciding what you want to do with is on your own. Just don't be played, you're the one in control.
I think you single handedly convinced me to back out of the deal. I think you're 110% right. I made an order and it wasn't even the right car. I sacrificed not buying the car that I really want and now there's going to be prior damage to a BRAND NEW car. I think this is a no go and the best is to wait it out for the new model. There are just too many signs pointing to "NO". I just need the get enough courage and tell the dealer that this deal isn't going to work even though I appreciate all his efforts. I don't want to pay $30k for a refurbished car.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by PaulWalker
TBH, if you're not in a rush to get your car, I'd wait a bit for prices to drop. Before they released the 2013, I was going to buy a 2012 OTD for $24k. However, I opted to wait to see if there were any changes in 2013 and ended up having to pay $24.7 before taxes and fees.
You're also right. I'm not sure whether the 2014 model is going to be the newly redesigned, but I think I'll wait and get the car I exactly want. I am kinda bummed because I could've gotten the car that I wanted at the price that i wanted but things happen.

Quick Reply: My 2013 WRX buying experience, need expert advice