Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Just understeer and hit a curb!! now what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:23 PM

Car Info: 1998 2.5 RS
Unhappy Just understeer and hit a curb!! now what?

Today was snowing and I got a little cocky driving my dads 98 2.5RS. I'm used to regular RWD which oversteer but this time I went in the corner with this AWD a little too fast thinking the Subie has gods feet and while I was turning right half why through the turn I hit the brake a little ABS engaged and the car instead of going right went straight and just slide on to the street.

The front driver side wheel hit the street curb so hard that it made a really loud sound like some metal part cracked. I didn't got out of the car because my father was pissed and the car seems fine. I drove home without a problem

When I inspect the front wheel it got a 6 inch neck scratch scar what you call it around the edge of the wheel and it seems that it a little bent but no flat tire. and even in the 50mph zone the steering didn't shake at all

The question is can the 98 impre front suspension stand this kinda of hit? would there be front suspension problem? I drove it home and it seems fine no funny steering what so ever. the only thing that I'm worry is the gold wheel might need replacement

I had this same type of hit on a 240SX and the car develop a aligment problem that I can never fix

Bad day bad bad!!!! should never be so cocky in an AWD!!!!! eventhough I'm an expert in RWD even in snow!!!

Now I just wanna cry I love my gold wheell
Old 02-20-2005, 09:42 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
If the alignment is okay and there's no shaking, it's probably fine. I'd have the tire rebalanced and the alignment checked just to be safe.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
Dude you got really lucky. I hit a curb a week ago in my STI and the same thing happened except I broke my control arm among other things, bent my rim. 2k total
Old 02-20-2005, 10:40 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ftnssn
Dude you got really lucky. I hit a curb a week ago in my STI and the same thing happened except I broke my control arm among other things, bent my rim. 2k total
I'm still crying please don't remind me I had to replace my control arms and rods in my 240sx and the car steering never felt the same again

Also I notice that the car has steam coming out from the front. I didn't crash the car head on just hit a curb.........I'm really worry but it was snowing real hard out side and at night I couldn't have a thorough inspection.

The steam prob. came from the snow entering the front grill and melt by the radiator and I'm crossing my finger that the wheel still holds air in the morning!!

I'm so stupid!!!!!!! a used 98 gold 16" alloy cost $$$200!!!! and what else did I damage..... I"M SO STUPID!!!! this is the 1st time I said to myself """I should listen to my father""""

Last edited by Ka24de; 02-20-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:51 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB WRX
Well its good that you reconize your driving error. Im just glad your not one of those people, who after having an incident, can walk away and understand your mistake and not wonder "why didnt my awd work"? I guess it could of been worse and if its just the wheel it wont be an expensive error.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by hockeygod
Well its good that you reconize your driving error. Im just glad your not one of those people, who after having an incident, can walk away and understand your mistake and not wonder "why didnt my awd work"? I guess it could of been worse and if its just the wheel it wont be an expensive error.
It's totally my error......usually in a RWD the tail would swing and the front will point in the opposite direction from the street and all I have to do is floor the gas and the car even when its sliding toward the street it'll push me away in the opposite direction without problem

BUT this Impre will not let it's tail swing and so the rear wheel are pointed 45degrees at the sidewalk. there was too little time to react if I hit the gas it might even push the car faster at the sidewalk since all 4 wheels has power samething would happen if I let go of the brake. All I can do is let it slide..........what I shoulda do is steer the front wheels as perpendiculer(steer it at the curb) to the curb as possible so that it's hit the tire and role over instead of having the wheel scrap the concrete curb..............STUPID STUPID!!!!.....I shouldn't have been so stupid!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 01:30 PM
VIP Member

Location: Are you too one of the few still living the past? Well I can change that! With a simple wicket. Yes, my friend, a wicket. PM for details.
Car Info: No car right now....sob.
Don't beat yourself up. **** happens. Just consider yourself lucky it wasn't a more severe problem which could have cost you more than $200.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
been there done that.
my control arm was fuddged, but i got lucky and found a used one for 25 bux shipped ha ha.
my strut was also bent up...
also check the sway bar links and all that other stuff around the area.
i dunno about what kevin suggested, just because you don't hear anything doesnt mean it isnt broken.

i waited so long to get my wheel bearing replaced that the spindle was just GONE.
ha ha

gluck
and dont beat yourself up, at least you didnt roll the car, cause that would have sucked, a lot.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:24 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Same exact thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago aftering dodging idiot tourists doing illegal u turns during mardi gras. Missed them but got the curb. Messed the wheel up and broke the rear sway bar. About 2k in damage but it's all fixed now. Like they said, **** happens, don't beat yourself up over it. Be glad you didn't mess up any body panels.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:54 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Well, the first step in treating a problem is to admit that you have a problem.
You've done that.
Now, go here and seek treatment.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:18 PM

Car Info: 06 BLUE STI
wtf

Originally Posted by ftnssn

Why does a controler arm cost 2k?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:25 PM

The wheel still holds air and it's OK except that theres a foot long scar on the rim. I'll test drive it more tomorrow to feel if there anything off but as of now it's OK. Until I jack it up for inspection I will for ever sad

BUT it did made a loud sound......probably the alloy wheel banging and scrapping on the concrete so hard and fast that it sound like one loud bang for now it's cost me 300+ to replace it

My friend said that as long as if you can't feel or hear it I'm OK I hope his right
Old 02-21-2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by dorifto88
been there done that.
my control arm was fuddged, but i got lucky and found a used one for 25 bux shipped ha ha.
my strut was also bent up...
also check the sway bar links and all that other stuff around the area.
i dunno about what kevin suggested, just because you don't hear anything doesnt mean it isnt broken.

i waited so long to get my wheel bearing replaced that the spindle was just GONE.
ha ha

gluck
and dont beat yourself up, at least you didnt roll the car, cause that would have sucked, a lot.

O u're scaring me so bad
Old 02-21-2005, 09:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
you can feel as bad as you want, but the fact is that the event already occured.
my word of advice is to get things checked out and fixed RIGHT the first time, so there wont be a next time.

Quick Reply: Just understeer and hit a curb!! now what?