i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Subaru General (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/)
-   -   Jet Fuel (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/jet-fuel-16264/)

sike43 04-21-2003 07:19 PM

Jet Fuel

does any one know any thing about jet fuel? can u put in in to a wrx? if so will it hurt anything?
-thanx

Ni3Frontier 04-21-2003 07:23 PM

Jet fuel

Don't know anything about aviation grade fuel/jet fuel other than it has more in common with diesel than gasoline.

My g/f's dad works for UPS. A long time ago, they were able to sub aviation fuel for diesel when the diesel tanks in the hub ran dry.

So...if I were you, I wouldn't get any ideas about putting avgas in your WRX. It won't make you fly, I can promise you that.

joltdudeuc 04-21-2003 07:24 PM

DO NOT DO IT.....

-gagan

sike43 04-21-2003 07:25 PM

thx

thx i was just wonderin about it where can i get high octane fuel?

128d 04-21-2003 10:24 PM

It is doable, however your engine will overheat very very quickly. I dont recomend it.

Tommy3rd 04-22-2003 03:24 AM

don't do it.

jet fuel = kerosene = heating oil = diesel
they all have similar properties

aviation gas = racing gas = turbo prop gas
aviation gas is high octane (107+), but it is almost always loaded with TEL (Tetra Ethyl Lead), which means a Lead additive is addeed to increase the octane rating.
and all cars nowadays say "use unleaded fuel only". I say stick to what's available at the pump, following the owner's manual.

RallyKeith 04-22-2003 06:51 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tommy3rd [/i]
[B]don't do it.

jet fuel = kerosene = heating oil = diesel
they all have similar properties

aviation gas = racing gas = turbo prop gas
aviation gas is high octane (107+), but it is almost always loaded with TEL (Tetra Ethyl Lead), which means a Lead additive is addeed to increase the octane rating.
and all cars nowadays say "use unleaded fuel only". I say stick to what's available at the pump, following the owner's manual. [/B][/QUOTE]

Leaded Fuel will destroy a catalytic converter, so don't use it unless you have no cats, which would obviously mean you're using it in an off road application. ;) Sunoco Race Fuels sell very high octane fuel (like 115) but it is leaded. Most of the top competitors in the pro rally series were using it until the SCCA banned leaded fuels.

Keith

sike43 04-22-2003 06:52 AM

thx

thanx every1 for ur input

jriggs 04-22-2003 08:10 AM

regular aviation fuel is unleaded and has an octane rating of 110...you can use that fine. it's refined much nicer than automotive gasoline also. but you'll pay for it in the end. i used to run it in the bike.....but that was a motorcycle that was used on weekends and it only had a 3 gallon tank....haha!!! and yes....jet fuel is kerosene...so i don't really think you wanna run that :)

that sunoco stuff......CAM 2 or something like that is OK....but in the end....gas is already crazy. i would run it for track night and stuff like that. just my $.02!!!!! later, riggs

RichiQY 04-22-2003 04:17 PM

very informative thread

anyone heard of effects of putting in Alcohol?

i heard it shift torque band curve higher.. (meaning say 150 lb @3000 rpm w/ gas.. then 150 lb @ 4000rpm w/ alcohol)

and it produces some H2O ...

can anyone enlighten me on this issue please..

thx!

BlingBlingBlue 04-22-2003 04:23 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RichiQY [/i]
[B]very informative thread

anyone heard of effects of putting in Alcohol?

[/B][/QUOTE]

IIRC, the manual states using fuel with more than 10% alcohol is a no no. Alcohol is commonly added to fuel as an oxygenate, but rarely in concentrations greater than 10%. I believe too much alcohol breaks down seals, but I'm really not sure.

As an aside, I was riding with my dad in his work van during the 70's when we ran out of fuel. There we were on the side of the freeway...he pulled a couple gallons of paint thinner out of the back of the van and put it in the gas tank. The van was hard to get started, and it ran like crap, but it got us to the next gas station.

Tommy3rd 04-22-2003 07:19 PM

alcohol can be good, but only up to a certain amount, and the type of alcohol used.
methanol is usually used to take out water in the tank, but too much of it is not good.
ethanol is usually used to boost the oxygenate content of gasoline, but during the winter they normally use MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether) anyway to boost the oxygenate. IIRC, the maximum oxygenate allowed by the gov't is 3%.

sometimes there's small amounts of ethanol, butanol, propanol in the gasoline anyway...since it's made up of over 200 different hydrocarbon components.

Ni3Frontier 04-22-2003 07:27 PM

MTBE

I don't know what has happened to the situation since I heard about it, but last year I heard that the gov't was thinking of banning MTBEs in gasoline and using methanol or ethanol instead. This is because MTBE is very very small on the molecular level and it is leaking into the ground from the connections in underground gas tanks in gas stations and in similar places. Anyone know anything more about this?

EvoEater 04-22-2003 08:23 PM

If you put high octane racing fuel such as 110 or so on the stock timing and turbo pressure your gonna lose power, spark plugs and maybe more. Its basically diesel fuel and diesel engines dont have spark plugslike gas engines. (The higher the octane level the harder it is to ignite, but once it does ignite its more powerful)They ignite by compression, not sparking. In a wrx the fuel would ignite after the spark and maybe even after two sparks which means when it does ignite off compression it could do damage. If the turbo boost is upped to about 19 psi and ran with 105 octane level (unleaded) the compression and spark timing even out nicely, so I have discovered.

Tommy3rd 04-23-2003 03:49 AM

Re: MTBE

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ni3Frontier [/i]
[B]This is because MTBE is very very small on the molecular level...[/B][/QUOTE]
Ethanol and Methanol is a smaller molecule than MTBE, so I don't think that's the reason. There were a lot of complaints from people being allergic to MTBE, but that was when they found out it had MTBE. Little did they know that MTBE was in gasoline 20 years ago and people never really said anything. In fact, way back then the maximum MTBE amount allowed was 15%, which yields an oxygenate content greater than 3.0
now, the max i've seen is 2.7