Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Import JDM GC's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Import JDM GC's?

Ok guys well I'd love to swap my 01 RS but I feel that may be too much money involved with the labor plus parts and I don't sit too well with knowing I paid 12k for my RS and then want to put another 12k into it for STi parts. I've thought about getting a JDM GC from abroad and get it legalized here in CA (I'm going to check with CHP to see what I need to do to make it legal safety wise and emissions as well) Any suggestions? If you have done this in the US or in CA please tell your expierence.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:24 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I thought you were buying an sti...?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:15 PM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7
Ok guys well I'd love to swap my 01 RS but I feel that may be too much money involved with the labor plus parts and I don't sit too well with knowing I paid 12k for my RS and then want to put another 12k into it for STi parts. I've thought about getting a JDM GC from abroad and get it legalized here in CA (I'm going to check with CHP to see what I need to do to make it legal safety wise and emissions as well) Any suggestions? If you have done this in the US or in CA please tell your expierence.
i hate to disscourage you but take a look at HP numbers. I have a feeling that your not going to see the numbers sti's are putting up. I think a usdm wrx swap would be a good base point for you. It will be alot cheaper initialy than an usdm sti swap and give you a good base for modifacation down the road.
that and you wont have to learn how to shift with your left hand, or explain to a date that she needs to get in the other side
Old 03-16-2006, 02:19 PM

yea i was just brainstorming really....id love to swap my car but i dont see it being very cost effective....ill probably just get the STi and be happy
every so often i get these hair brained schemes and then have to come to my senses
Old 03-16-2006, 03:08 PM

yea i was just brainstorming really....id love to swap my car but i dont see it being very cost effective....ill probably just get the STi and be happy
every so often i get these hair brained schemes and then have to come to my senses
I just can bring my self to buy any thing that ugly... sorry not a fan of the sti's looks especially the new ones.
some times you kinda have to ignore common sence when it comes to what you want....
Hell, just look at dating
Im currently putting way more into an rs-t project just because I dont like how pricy usdm sti bits are and i am dead set on having 2.5l turbo even if its only 5psi for now.
and in my mind i justify all of this by the fact that when im done I will have a fully tunable engine manigment system, boost controle, and soon after the initial set up internals that will hold up to more boost.
you can always justify the extra expence once its all set up just the way you want it
but when your stuck in something thats not quite what you had in mind when you cant get out of it you will kick your self for being sensible.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:34 PM

Car Info: PSM 02 WRX
You think buying a new car, importing it, and legalizing it is going to be less costly than a swap?

I don't know how much either of the two cost but I'm pretty sure swapping is probably less expencive.

Good luck at the drivethrough with the rhd
Old 03-16-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Version7
You think buying a new car, importing it, and legalizing it is going to be less costly than a swap?

I don't know how much either of the two cost but I'm pretty sure swapping is probably less expencive.

Good luck at the drivethrough with the rhd
you get good at backing thru them thats for sure....
drove a firends skyline for a couple of months.
If you find a good used jdm sti and swap usdm headlights and bumpers, just as long as it passes emissions you should be good to go.
I cant see how it would cost as much as a usdm sti.. seeing how as sti's are still relitivly new to the us market so the prices are still sky high where as jdm you can find good used ones relitvily chap.

I agree that your best bet for an affordable turbo gc8 is a wrx swap.. last time I looked into it a local yard wanted $3k for all the stuff off a wrecked wrx for me to do a full drive train swap so that would bring your grand total up to $15k for your car if you do all the work your self.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:00 PM

i dont have the time/tools/knowledge to do the swap
Old 03-16-2006, 06:52 PM

i dont have the time/tools/knowledge to do the swap
you will when your done
and you will be much better for it.
All kidding asside... I know your pain. Lots of my firends started where you are at and I helped them all thru it. Its difficult if you dont have some one that can help you out and lend use of there engine hoist.
in your position I think that you are better off buying a wrx, sti, or the importing rout. If you import, changing out the bumpers and headlights to pass registration inspection would be much easier for you than a full on swap.
keep us updated on what you decide.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:14 PM

im more 80% sure im going the 04/05 STi route. While I'd love to have the GC STi swap im not prepared to drop in that much money and do custom work. Plugging in the connectors, bolting stuff down doesnt seem that hard if a couple of my friends helped me out...but the wiring part scares me...maybe if i had the time to sit down and do it for a while WITH help it may be done, but id much rather have an experienced person do it for me haha
Old 03-16-2006, 11:05 PM

Car Info: Job Wanted!
WRX swaps can be done with motors and labor included for $5500 including 2006 with the 2.5L of lovin'
Old 03-17-2006, 08:54 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
An RS with 2.5L and 6 speed or an RA 5spd would be freakin awesome
Old 03-17-2006, 11:47 AM

It would probably be easier just to do the swap....