Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i-Club needs a new host...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
i-Club needs a new host...

I am having issues with the current host. I am seriously considering switching to another host.

I need a massive dedicated server. Maybe even two.

What can we do and what should we do?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:49 AM

Car Info: '07 FXT Sport / '96 STiL
http://www.ev1servers.net or http://www.servepath.com for nice servers at a damn good price. Servepath is a local company, so that may be an advantage. They are both selling unmanaged servers, so it will be your responsibility to handle security patches, upgrades, etc.

You should also visit the official Vbulletin forums and look at the server optimization information. Some little changes can make a huge difference in server load. (Enabling/adjusting the Mysql query cache, for example)
Old 06-21-2005, 01:15 PM

Car Info: Sline
www.ipowerweb.com has some decent prices, They may or may not have the capacit you're looking for. Also, the ad right above this quick post box is for $4.00 web hosting.....
Old 06-21-2005, 04:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2012 Mazda 3 Hatch
hey imprezer, i was just curious what the monthly data transfer of i-club was?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:15 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Monthly data transfer is ~300gig.
I am paying around $500 for dedicated server with twin processors and like 2 gig of ram. I am not all that good at all that server stuff, so I might be getting butt raped on the price...
Old 06-22-2005, 12:11 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
Originally Posted by Imprezer
Monthly data transfer is ~300gig.
I am paying around $500 for dedicated server with twin processors and like 2 gig of ram. I am not all that good at all that server stuff, so I might be getting butt raped on the price...
well either way... your my hero.. cuz i-club is hella tight...
Old 06-22-2005, 12:46 AM

Car Info: '07 FXT Sport / '96 STiL
Originally Posted by 02BlueFirehawk
What's your monthly/quarterly price range? I can get accounts through verio. Unlimited bandwidth usually with a 500kb/sec rate.
Well then it's not unlimited, now is it?

Seriously though, Verio is a good company, but you'll need a dedicated server, and with Verio I expect it will be pretty expensive.

I've had servers from ev1 for several years now and have never had any problems with them. They're the best solution for the price, imho.

Servepath has a better network, is in the bay area, and has a more personal feel, but the trade-off is a higher price. I haven't been able to justify the additional cost for my own servers, but I've had my eye on Servepath for a while and have been looking for an excuse to get myself a server there.

Either way, it looks like you're with ez-web-hosting (yuck, what a lame company name), and if you are I definately recommend a change. You can get a better setup than you have now for the same price from servepath, or save some bucks by going with ev1. I'm sure there are many other alternatives that may be just as good but these are the ones I know about.

Last edited by dan2304k; 06-22-2005 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:32 AM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
Get a www.theplanet.com server.... i've heard TONS of good stuff about them.

I think they might be in your price range as well, what kind of bandwidth port will you need?

The Planet may be good. Also www.ev1servers.net i've heard good news about as well.

What is your current host?
Old 06-25-2005, 11:58 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRB STi w/ s202 spoiler
300GB/mon is about 970Kbps. You could fit it on a 10Mbps drop, but unless it's drastically more per month, I'd go with a 100Mbps drop just for those bursty times. I work for Hurricane Electric. Among the services we provide are webhosting and dedicated servers. I'm not sure on the cost of dedicated servers (*points to sales*), but I do all the support, so I can vouch for that. We build the dedicated server to your specs, and you can choose to have us manage the server or have root access (probably a little more expensive). Basically, if you're the only person who accesses the site on a per-file access level then a managed server will work fine. Otherwise, a root server is what you need. You can email sales at sales@he.net or just shoot me a message if you have questions before hand.

Jeff

Last edited by illogical; 06-25-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
This is OT, but I'd be willing to pay some sort of membership. You ought to entertain the thought of at least doing it on a donation basis. I know that your intent has always been to keep this free, but I'm certain that if you offered the option for any user to donate, it would certainly help out and the site would still be considered free.